Windshield seal/caulking?

Hi everyone,

What sealant was this? The sealant between the 2 rubbers.  The seal looks good but I can see light in one spot from the inside out. Don’t know if the windshield was ever replaced or not but the one corner sucks. As usual much appreciated for the help. 

IMG_7107.jpeg

IMG_7109.jpeg

IMG_7108.jpeg

Yep, use urathane.  
I used https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Urethane-Sikaflex-Primerless-Adhesive/dp/B073WKD2C9/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_pp?crid=3OS4L49EWXZ2Y&keywords=urethane&qid=1689792130&sprefix=urathane%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-3

works well, however you need a special caulk gun and the stuff is a pain to apply for a novice.  
Don’t get it on you or your clothes! 

• Like 3

I recently had my windshield replaced.

I didn't like how the rubber gutter above the windshield looked, just like yours Jeff. So I took it off and re-applied it.

I stripped off the old mounting tape from the rubber and applied 3M VHB HD mounting tape. I recommend using 3M Tape Primer on the rubber before applying the tape and on the fiberglass otherwise it will not stick very well, mainly to the rubber.

When you attach the rubber leave about an 1/8" gap so you can put a bead of urethane sealant. I used what the installer used, Sikaflex P2G.

Use masking tape and take your time applying urethane, you do not want to over do it as it is very messy. I used spray foam window cleaner after applying a bead and tooled it with my finger. 

I bought everything off Amazon

• Thanks 2

We have the same problem.  Our windshield even leaks slightly.  We had a glass shop look at it - twice.  The glass tech said our entire windshield had shifted slightly to one side.  He said he did a temporary reseal.  Didn't work, still leaking.  We have a small chip also that is growing slowly.  When it gets big enough, I guess we'll just get a new windshield.

• Like 1

In April I had a glass service delivered to some window sealing and he also looked at the windshield seal. I am not sore what he used but he did seal it and said they often do it. What he did was to lift the outside rubber and applied the caulking under it to seal it to the windshield. The jury is still out if this is the right solution. 

• Like 1

Well, upon further inspection I spotted a spot about 9 inches long on the inside above the drivers seat where the seal was not in place around the bend. Got it back in place and the light is gone. I still ordered some urethane for where the two rubbers meet though. Thank you everyone. 

• Like 3