Shore power panel air circulation 08 Endeavor

63Hotrod

Our breaker panel is in the rear closet. Just noticed when running in hot weather 105 + that the enclosure and panel face are quite warm. We travel with the front ac on and bedroom closed off

So looking for suggestions 

run both ac leaving closet door open ?

or ?

Is this causing a problem?  I must confess that I have never checked the temp of my shore power panel while driving.  As a single owner, I'd have to run back at a rest stop to do that.  Since this isn't something I or likely most would check out of curiosity, I'm wondering if the heat caused a problem. 

-Rick N 

Possibly engine heat making the bedroom warmer than normal with the door closed, then add a possibly loose breaker . . . . Each of our AC's draws about 21A (original 2003 Penguins). 

just a thought

- bob

Never had issues before and just this one time. Really hot outside tripped the front ac breaker. When I went to reset it I noticed the panel and the wood enclosure hot to touch 

Combination of  engine heat, oat and no air flow in the closet

@63Hotrod Interested to see what you come up with.  I have thought of doing something as well.  I have heard that the excess heat can cause damage to the Intellitec EMS panel as well.  I have been thinking of using a temperature controlled computer tower cooling fan.  Here is a link of what I am talking about.  I am sure it needs more investigation.

https://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-Dual-120x120x25mm-Thermostat-Controller/dp/B08MPP2JPC/ref=sr_1_7?crid=OYK33QTJWK3G&keywords=12v+temp+controlled+computer+tower+cooling+fan&qid=1689875253&sprefix=12v+temp+controlled+computer+tower+cooling+fan%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-7

3 hours ago, 63Hotrod said:

To clarify the problem is cooling it when going down the road

OK…. options,  leave the panel open and hold open with a wire or duct tape.  No JOY…

Leave it open and get a 12 VDC Trucker’s fan…the small kind on a flexible gooseneck. Mmost have a big clip on the end for mounting.  Run @ 12VDC lead off of a fuse in the 12 VDC panel.  Your “ground” can come from the main panel ground.  YES…I did that  to power my TPMS repeater.  

OK….put a small oscillating table fan on a counter top.  Might have to make a sandbag and lay over it to keep it in place.  Your Inverter is running.  Plug it in and let it circulate.  

Obviously leave a door (my panel is in the bathroom) open. 

NOW…my Camelot may be differnt.  IF the panel is in the rear next to or in a closet and the engine compartment is not vented or louvered, it DOES get hot back  there.  Plastic dry cleaning bags will melt on the metal screws used to,hold the engine compartment access door in place.  When it is that hot, open up all doors and run the rear AC.  I run my genny and roof units above maybe 85 degrees as it is more fuel efficient than running the front HVAC.  

Plan a small oscillating fan on top of the box. One closet door open and most hanging clothes on the bed 

Add in rear ac when it hits 85

While I think this is an unsual instance due to much higher temps than we normally see. My plan is to add a small vent fan once we get home

thanks to all for your ideas

Folks out west here in the Sun Belt open the sliding closet door on the right and put pieces of PEX pipe in the track to keep the doors in place.  Then use a fan blowing on the brown C/B panel. I think it was Myron that added washers under the panel cover to allow better air circulation.

In 2008 Monaco got smart and moved the C/B panel to the midship bathroom in the Camelot , but put it in a cabinet. As I was tripping the A/C breakers, I added a second ceiling air outlet, aimed at the panel, and installed a brass casement window sliding bracket to hold the door open a few inches. Problem solved.

IMG_8800.jpeg

IMG_8801.jpeg

IMG_8802.jpeg

Edited by Happycarz
Correct wording
  • Like 1

I'm not keen on just adding a fan.  Unless there is air significantly cooler than that surrounding the panel, you won't accomplish much.  Remember that simply moving air across an inanimate object provides no heat transfer or additional cooling once the offer is at ambient temp.  I concentrate on keeping the heat from entering from the engine compartment. 

-Rick N