Tragic RV Front Tire Blowout Accident

Don't pay any attention to that so called expert on the report. Go to you tube Michelin tire blow out on rv and see how to control your RV or big rig.

I took the time to look at it again to keep myself up to date. Years ago, I had a tire rapid deflation and staying on the accelerator until under control I feel is what saved us.

• Like 2

I had a right front blow out at 65 MPH under the I-25 crossover on I-40.  I was in the third lane with traffic on my left.  I stayed on the accelerator and crossed two lanes and stopped in the V where an on ram came in to I-40.  As soon as I saw I had nothing on my right, I started pumping brake and heading for the only safe spot I could see.  It scared the hell out of me and from start to stop was only about 15 or so seconds. I thank my lucky stars that no one was beside me on the right of the semi on my tail would have probably plowed into the rear of my rig.

On a side note, the tire flap took out the wire harness in the fender well.  It took Rocky Mountain RV in Albuquerque several days to trace wire.  Many were same color and no idea where the went.   

Absolutely heartbreaking. An entire family gone. 😞

A steer tire blow out was always one of my biggest fears while driving the coach. I am a bit more relaxed now with Tyron bands on the steer tires knowing if I have a blow out I can easily maintain control. I have talked with a couple owners who had Tyron bands and blew a tire and they said they simply steered onto the shoulder.

My prayers for the families of these people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throgmartin said:

Absolutely heartbreaking. An entire family gone. 😞

A steer tire blow out was always one of my biggest fears while driving the coach. I am a bit more relaxed now with Tyron bands on the steer tires knowing if I have a blow out I can easily maintain control. I have talked with a couple owners who had Tyron bands and blew a tire and they said they simply steered onto the shoulder.

My prayers for the families of these people.

One of the items I'm definitely going to add at my next tire change.

I would recommend Tyron Bands to everyone. I had a blowout several years ago on right front. The tire blew off the rim taking out my right fender then crossed over and became lodged between the rim and the frame making steering impossible. The police measured the ruts cut in the concrete by the rim at 300 yards. It cut the hydraulic lines to my slide and it came out in front. The back left tires came off the road per the guy behind me. I went down the hill and landed near the feeder road. I now have Tyron Bands.  I was only going 50 mph at the time. 

• Like 1

I have moved my Tyron bands, personally, TWICE.  

Make sure the installer thoroughly seats the colored plastic spacers…I replaced mine after 10 years in 2018 and 55K

Make sure the band is perfectly centered between the “side walls” of the narrowest part of the rim.

Make sure the installer puts the proper torque on the clamping screw.

Carry a new set (call Tyron, USA) of clamp hardware…simple kit

Purchase and carry the “removal kit” that Tyron sells.  I did all the install work myself and the techs were amazed.  The last on3 had done the bands before and his boss ordered a kit that day.  Most techs are clueless.  Many will try to beat the new tires to death.  Usually a “used and run say 5,000 miles” tire will come off without using the kit.  But THEN, the first time, my two “super techs” finally gave up on the new tires after my 20 minute siren phone alarm went off and said…”OK Smart @$$…if you’re so smart…lets see YOU do it”. I did and was then a good buddy.

Been there….done that.  If you pull off a band and it slid all the way to the outside….improperly installed and Lazy Days denied my request for a labor refund…i started doing them then.  Put 35K on before I had a belt failure on a Bridgestone.  Bands were centered and tight…so my first attempt at installation was a success…

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 7:11 AM, tomevansfl said:

I believe this is the video referenced above:

The personal experience by a fellow RVer:

Both are worth a watch by every RVer and passenger car driver as well. 

Important info missing. What brand of tire is in this video? If Goodyear, no need to do any testing as they are a well-established POS. I know, Had a right front blow on me a few years back. HELL of a ride!!

Gary K  2006 Windsor

On 8/13/2023 at 8:33 AM, ByronW said:

Don't pay any attention to that so called expert on the report. Go to you tube Michelin tire blow out on rv and see how to control your RV or big rig.

I took the time to look at it again to keep myself up to date. Years ago, I had a tire rapid deflation and staying on the accelerator until under control I feel is what saved us.

Agree 100%. That expert doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Everything I’ve seen or read also says never brake during a blowout as that’s how you lose control. Acceleration allows the other tires to overpower the pull of the blown tire. 

• Like 2