Need information for trailer Brake controller installation before Monaco included in 2005 as standard.

lusgi

I am wanting to tow a utility trailer behind my 1998 Monaco Windsor. After searching other threads it appears wiring for the brakes was started somewhere around 2004. I was curious if someone knew if there were wires run to the back for this purpose in the earlier models. Just looking for some info before I jump in looking for something that isn't there.

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Need information for trailer Brake controller installation before Monaco included in 2005 as standard.
23 hours ago, lusgi said:

I am wanting to tow a utility trailer behind my 1998 Monaco Windsor. After searching other threads it appears wiring for the brakes was started somewhere around 2004. I was curious if someone knew if there were wires run to the back for this purpose in the earlier models. Just looking for some info before I jump in looking for something that isn't there.

There were supposedly some “extra wires” in the backbone or chassis harness.  Some of the original members found them when they “chased” the main front to rear harness, before it disappeared into the raceway to the rear.  That’s as much as I remember over a 14 year span.

Others bit the bullet and used a “conduit” approach…like running a wire(s)  inside a piece of plastic (1/4” or so) and then used small half moon conduit clips and drive screws and ran it along the chassis. Others removed the ceiling panels in the bays and ran a small bundle.  Many have installed an electrical upgrade, an ML-ACR device.  Put ML-ACR in the search box and click on “EVERYWHERE” to get the dropdown and choose Topics.  Do the search.  Read the posts.  Then PM the ones that did the installation.  If they got the remote, they had to run 3 or 4 new wires from the back to the front.  @vanwill52 was one of the first and has a 2000 (memory) Dynasty..  

Good luck…

I wired up a Tekonsha Brake Controller on my 2002 Windsor. I had to run a blue large gauge wire from the brake controller to the rear to wire into the existing 7-way trailer receptacle.

I also had to install a relay to change the negative brake signal wire to a positive brake signal for the brake controller.

The brake signal wire was in the small Monaco #2 box in the Front Run Bay. It was included within the grey plug wired at the bottom of the box.

Richard was the ONE.  Now, here is a thread along the same lines…where the early 2005 were “partly wired”.

read it.  I posted two schematics.  One will be at the end.  What drives folks CRAZY.  Monaco SWITCHED the brake light circuit using the GROUND side.  So, you will have to install a relay.  You use the Ground signal from the brake system.  That then goes to the coil of a Bosch 5 pin relay.  When that relay closes, it THEN becomes the normal AUTOMOTIVE “plus 12 vdc” signal needed for your controller…  download my two prints and read the comments for education and knowledge.

38060702%2520%2528DIAGRAM%252C%2520SUPPL%2520BRAKE%2520SYSTEM%2529.pdf

I added a Tekonsha Proportional Brake Controller to my 2003 Diplomat. I had to add the "Blue" 12 ga. wire from the front to the back as it didn't exist. I ran the wire thru the conduit tubes under my floor. I used an electrical fish tape to pull it thru. Before I pulled in the wire I put it in wire loom to help avoid any nicks or cuts in the wire. BTW, I put in a "spare" along with my brake signal wire just in case while I was doing it.

22 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Richard was the ONE.  Now, here is a thread along the same lines…where the early 2005 were “partly wired”.

read it.  I posted two schematics.  One will be at the end.  What drives folks CRAZY.  Monaco SWITCHED the brake light circuit using the GROUND side.  So, you will have to install a relay.  You use the Ground signal from the brake system.  That then goes to the coil of a Bosch 5 pin relay.  When that relay closes, it THEN becomes the normal AUTOMOTIVE “plus 12 vdc” signal needed for your controller…  download my two prints and read the comments for education and knowledge.

Tom , what year did Monaco quit using the ground wire as switched? or did they?

38060702%2520%2528DIAGRAM%252C%2520SUPPL%2520BRAKE%2520SYSTEM%2529.pdf 99.27 kB · 3 downloads