Transmission oilcooler leaking cooling water.

Go to solution Solved by jacwjames,

Friends. Just prepareing for å 3 week late summer trip, and during checking everything, I discovered e cooling water leak in the Trans oil cooler. I live in Norway. Have a 2006 Dynasty 38 with Cummins 400 hp. Any good advice where to get a new cooler and what price I will have to pay. All advice are welcome.

Regards

Thor

Are you stating that your radiator has a coolant leak or have you observed a coolant leak going into your transmission oil?

Big difference in resolutions.

If ONLY your coolant radiator is leaking then it needs to be removed and a new one built and installed.

If your coolant radiator is leaking into your transmission cooler than you have some major problems. The Allison transmission will have to be removed and rebuilt along with a brand new radiator built and installed.

Curious - how did you determine you had an internal leak?  Saw oil had water in it (chocolate milk shake?)  Saw oil in water?  Both?  

I had to replace my cooler due to collision damage and went to a truck salvage yard and purchased one that was similar but different outlets.  I then went to a "AnyHose" supplier of hoses / clamps / adapters and fit up the parts to connect the new cooler.

But, I would be surprised if the fix is as simple as replacing the cooler and then...how did the cooler get damaged...mine was a very robust copper unit that looked highly durable.  Not sure if you have similar.  Post a picture.

Edited by DavidL

The trans oil cooler is a separate unit. Low temp water coming from the radiator passing through this cooler on its way to the engine. The Trans oil is cooled in this unit and returner to the Trans. The leak is caused by corrosion from the colors outside due to all the salty winter roads. No water in the Trans oil.engine cooling water is leaking out of the corrosion area. The unit are made of cast iron, and are separate from the radiator unit.

• Solution

Don't take a chance on cooler if there is a chance coolant could get into the tranny.  Another member had a tranny cooler internal to the radiator that failed and it ended up costing +$20K for tranny, radiator change.

You consider adding a separate cooler for the tranny, I added one to augment my radiator/tranny cooler.  It is a Derale like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VQGVSU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had my radiator changed in and the manufacturer did not size the tranny cooler correctly and my tranny temps were going to +230F at times.  Decided to add the cooler and the result now my temps peak at 178F.  So I had a 50F delta change in temps. 

Another member with a Dynasty  decided to abandon the original cooler and install a separate one, he provided me general info and I mirrored his install.  Installed mine on drivers side at front of engine where I had good access.  I mounted two heavy vertical 1.5" tubes, no welding just used heaver self tapping screws.  Ran a wire from my electrical bay rear passenger side.  Used a thermal snap disc to start/stop the fan, starts at 145F. 

Last long trip my temps never exceeded 178F in pretty hot weather climbing steep grades. 

Derale Tran Cooler installed 2-17-2022.jpg

• Like 1

I'd replace the original cooler with a tube connector, and install a large air/oil cooler similar to what Jim installed.
Find the largest BTU capacity cooler that you can fit, and a dedicated fan is also a good idea.
I'm partial to Setrab coolers, but Earl's, Mocal, and several other good ones are on the market.

The trans oil cooler is a separate unit. Low temp water coming from the radiator passing through this cooler on its way to the engine. The Trans oil is cooled in this unit and returner to the Trans. The leak is caused by corrosion from the colors outside due to all the salty winter roads. No water in the Trans oil.engine cooling water is leaking out of the corrosion area. 

Thank everybody for engagement. I go for Jims proposal. Already ordered from Amazon. Again, thanks a lot.

• Like 1