2002 Windsor - new shock recommendation - opinions please.

Go to solution Solved by m.demeere,

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2002 Windsor - new shock recommendation - opinions please.

I own a 2003 Holiday Rambler 36 ft, i just took off what appeard to be the original shocks🙀 and replaced them with konis, the performance is Amazing. On a car when you replace shocks its kinda “cant really tell the difference” but on these big boys you feel it right away.

6 hours ago, Wayne Thomas said:

I have a 2002 Monaco Windsor l want to change my shocks what brand would be a good choice and part number 

thank you 

Wayne

I edited the title topic.  If you go to the search box in the upper right and put in “SHOCK” and then click on EVERYWHERE, there is a drop down menu.  Click on TOPICS.  Then search.  That will keep you busy, but, in all seriousness, it has a wealth of information….and a lot of that is subjective opinion.  Shocks are like, if you will let me use an analogy, PIZZA.  The final decision is how you like your pizza and which pizzera makes the best for you and family.

Your Windsor probably came with OEM Bilsteins.  Those were either specially built for Monaco or were available in the aftermarket and were, by many and I say many, too harsh or rough riding.  Circa the mid 2000’s, Bilstein came out with their Comfort Shock.  Much different valving and ride.  Monaco used cheap Delco Remy or Monroes (memory) on the lower ends, like my Camelot and continued with Bilstein …but along the way used a knock off and had them painted to look like a Bilstein, except the blue and yellow was reversed…BEANCOUNTERS did this.

Your options depend on if you are doing the install or paying.  You can go cheap with Monroes or Delco Remy and they will last for a few years…not good value if you are paying as much for install, per shock, as the cost of the shocks.  Some that do their own work prefer a softer ride and go low end.

Bilstein realized the “error” of Monaco’s harsh choice and then developed the “comfort shock”.  Many folks were disappointed in the OEM Bilsteins and swore off Bilsteins.  They chose Koni, which was typically twice as expensive as the aftermarket Bilsteins.  Lots of improvements and no one was, OK a few, ever disappointed.

Meanwhile, during the Monaco Bankruptcy or maybe before, two Ex Monaco employees started a “RV Chassis” business and they hired Bilstein and spent a lot of money and bought MH’s for testing and also had many Monaco owners volunteer their MH for testing.  Source Engineering is the name and they also hired professional “test drivers”.  They went about it very methodically and had a complete drive and ride evaluation team for every MH and switched and had at least 3 teams evaluate a shock…on at least 2 different MH and did a double blind test where no one knew WHICH shock was installed.  Bottom line, they came out with the Source Engineering “CUSTOM Monaco/Roadmaster” shock.  Bilstein  makes them, but cannot sell them to be public as the specifications and valving is the intellectual property of Source and there is an airtight contract.

I went down this path in 2012 when I got rid of my 3 year old worn out pieces of junk on my Camelot.  I had decided on Bilstein.  I found two large distributors on line and called them,  Both said they would have to contact the Bilstein MH shock “Guru” within the Bilstein marketing and engineering department.  I forget his name…say Scotty.  The distributors, or the owners raved about Scotty knowing everything there was to know about Bilsteins for a Motor Home.  OK…why not talk to Scotty myself to verify the PN, as there were two different PN listed for the rears.  He talked and answered questions for an hour.

Turns out, he was the “technical support” person that Bilstein assigned to the “Source” project and he accompanied the “build an experimental” tractor trailer rig” that Bilstein sent to do or modify the stock Bilsteins.  He raved about the two guys and their knowledge of the .roadmaster chassis and howmthey make the best shock for a Monaco MH and if he had a Monaco MH, he would use their shocks and told his son that, who did…even though he could have got a great price for his son as an employee.  He wnet into great detail about how the stock (aftermarket) Bilstein was an improvement and the pros and cons of the Koni.

Guess what… I chose Source.  i have a post, or two…LOL and actually have an unbiased expert that was a REAL unbiased tester.  My Wife… she could not read for more than an hour riding in the Camelot.  I got rid of the GY tires and put on Bridgestones and the Source Shocks.  She demanded a test ride as that was not cheap.  She raved about how the MH rode like some of the upscale tour busses we had spent many hours in prior to taking up MHing…

Then, we did a 6 week trip.  Three days into the trip, I casually asked…have you finished your book?  Almost…and then OMG.  She realized that shenhad read for at least 4 hours a day while riding and NO headache….  That is enough “proof” for me.

Your call,  get prices….get estimates for install or read up on it in the two topics i posted at the end. BTW, Source “blew” their price point…and were maybe 25% higher than Koni.  They have changed and the folks here say that the Koni and Source (standard…you do NOT need the larger one) are price competitive.  Billsteins will probably work, but the Source is unbelievable….no more than 3 oscillations before you are level again….not so with the others….I would do it again …

• Thanks 1

I put Koni''s on my 2002 Windsor back in 2010. I had to replace three in 2017 that were leaking. They were free under the lifetime warranty.

8805-1004 SP1 MAGNUM FRONT
8805-1005 SP1 MAGNUM REAR

They had sent the wrong ones for the rear if I remember correctly. Had to ship them back and get new ones. Can't remember the reason but I think it had to do with the mounts.

We bought our 2002 Windsor 40 PST last March. Drove it 1200 miles back home and it handled well. But since this was my forever coach, I started researching suspension upgrades and first came up with, Super Steer modules SSE4045 front and SSE4055 rear. The modules are placed in the airbag lines going into the bag. On my previous RV I switched out the Bilstien shock with Konis and it made a huge difference. So I did the same here, as Richard previously said, front Konis are 8805-1004 and rears are 8805-1005. I have since driven 6000 miles and can happily say, no driver fatigue, just a smooth ride.

On 8/22/2023 at 11:44 AM, Dr4Film said:

I put Koni''s on my 2002 Windsor back in 2010. I had to replace three in 2017 that were leaking. They were free under the lifetime warranty.

They had sent the wrong ones for the rear if I remember correctly. Had to ship them back and get new ones. Can't remember the reason but I think it had to do with the mounts.

On 8/22/2023 at 11:44 AM, Dr4Film said:

Great I like the lifetime warranty 

4" - Over 30,000 Lbs GVW

3 hours ago, Wayne Thomas said:

Thanks Jim

I think I’ll go with the Koni shocks but tell me more about the air  bags

Wayne

I have tried to add a link

4" - Over 30,000 Lbs GVW, upload failed . Or maybe not. SuperSteer are modules that about 3" long that are placed in the airline going into the airbags. They distribute air back and forth on curves. And also will be helpful for wind sway. To get a complete description please Google SuperSteer comfort ride for RV'S and you will be directed in the right direction. Takes 4 pairs for your rv and mine were quarter inch lines all the way around. I didn't know much about them but my service center said they install them on a regular basis. 

Jim 

On 8/22/2023 at 4:08 AM, Wayne Thomas said:

I have a 2002 Monaco Windsor l want to change my shocks what brand would be a good choice and part number 

thank you 

Wayne

I put the Koni’s (4) on the front of my 02 Windsor 40PST and it certainly stopped the porpoising from the old Bilstiens but may be a little harsh but too soft isn’t good either. Happy overall.