McGyver?

18 minutes ago, Flyinhy said:

Speaker wire, duct tape and zip ties 🤪

ADD Screwdriver pocket knife pliers eternabond tape and dicor

44 minutes ago, RBRODDER said:

Make sure you have a dog leash to use for a strap wrench...fuel filters can be tough on the shoulder of the road...

Doubles to strap your awning to the roof if your patio awning self deploys on the road 😖!

Luckily we had a few in the coach on that trip!

Edited by 96 EVO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Just find a way to fix whatever breaks with whatever you have on hand… 😁

Sorry for this diversion…but I had a few flashbacks….and could not resist a digression….edit if appropriate….  LOL…

Friends of mine that retired early and stored “the family treasures….china, antiques, silver, etc”…took early retirement.  Bought a 45 odd foot sailboat with a diesel genny and a puny little trolling motor.  They cruised in the islands for many years.  He learned to “fish” for food….unbelievable stories. I finally lured him back for a consulting gig….and they had had their “fling” and parents needing care.

His comment is that Motor Homing and Cruising provides one the opportunity to make complex and seemingly impossible repairs with limited resources, but always in an exotic clime….  Been there…done that…as way too many of us have.  My “kid the boss” nickname in a former job was “MG” as I always traveled with 10 blade Swiss Army knife. We often kid about unique temporary fixes….but always have my Swiss Army knife….

During that wild 10 year stint with a former company where my staff coined the MG nickname….I often traveled to Italy, many times, back in the late 80’s with boss and his VP.  OK in USA.  Got stopped on an Air Italia flight out of Rome.  Guard looked at knife…opened main blade and measured with his fingers. He whistled and said “Rambo”…or that is what they told me.  A fatigued clad SWAT team guy with a full auto Uzi… came over.

They wrote me a “permit”.  Had to take the knife to a special “Dangerous & Restricted Weapons” desk.  They packed it in a box about the size of a one gallon milk jug.  Slapped red warning tape all over it.  Put a copy of my boarding pass on it.  Then they met me at the boarding gate and then handed the box to the pilot of our flight to Bari.  He had to lock it up.  When we got to Bari, I had to go to the airport security office and show my passport and boarding pass…. My traveling companions had a ball and told me they were going to arrest me… and NOT to try to retrieve it….but, I survived…

When I left for another job, they gave me a card and a photo of an exploding Swiss Army knife…. But the funniest part….the Wise Apple VP was later arrested in Bologna a year or so after our little trip.  His passport had the same name as a “suspected” drug dealer.  When he got off the plane, security took him and another VP.  Locked them up.  Did a strip and orifice search…it took 24 hours before our chief legal counsel (MEGA Italian Company….whom you know well) could get an injunction and have his felony indictments dropped….and the “accessory” indictments against the other VP.  I think he did get put on a special list and was always “interviewed in private” when he returned to Italy on business….….

Yes…call me MG…but, my Swiss Army knife is still in my pocket and I never had to drop my drawers….I never even WATCHED McGyver….but have often been called that many times when I fix something with my Swiss Army knife….   LOL….

I had to ship my Boy Scout knife home once, cost a fortune and took forever.  This was pre-911 and I'm not sure they let you ship them anymore.  I've had it 40 years now - best wedding gift ever!

I'm sure you've had your knife longer @Tom Cherry.  I've seen parts of the show . . . .

- bob

24 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

I had to ship my Boy Scout knife home once, cost a fortune and took forever.  This was pre-911 and I'm not sure they let you ship them anymore.  I've had it 40 years now - best wedding gift ever!

I'm sure you've had your knife longer @Tom Cherry.  I've seen parts of the show . . . .

- bob

Actually, I'm on my 5th or 6th....and different models each time.  I carry a heavy one...must have 12 or so blades and is too bulky for pocket.  In my Computer case.  I use the Camper now.  But, I wear out things.  Too many times when I used to hunt deer, I would use a climbing tree stand and once I got it anchored and was sitting on it...I had to trim off branches.  I once use the awl tool to puncture a Black Widow (Recluse?) bite.  I got bit the night before and saw the ugly wound...with the red spiny things the next morning.  I knew not to panic my mom so I said I had to get back home as my wife had called and said that we were to have an early lunch.  I stopped at a Hardees and got a couple of cups of ice.  I had a lighter in the glove compartment and sterilized the point.  I stabbed it and it bled profusely...but then used a hankerchief and made an ice pack.  When I got home, my wife almost fainted and I had to drive myself to an urgent care.  Guess what he did? He then proceded to really "LANCE and Drain it".  But he said that what I did, despite the inappropriate sterile enviroment was the best thing....and that doing that 4 hours earlier and icing it down probably saved me from being hospitalized.

YES...I can't THINK of all the times that I have only used that sucker....ONCE as a safeguard tucked under my watch band when the family (2 little kids) wandered on to the WRONG trolley in Philly and had to get off and the driver said....do NOT MOVE AN INCH...Tell anyone that Big Howie is coming back for you. We were not allowed to ride with him at the roundhouse... 

• Haha 1