Backup camera

Retired

Do NOT waste your money on wireless. Definitely go with a good quality wired camera. There have been other threads posted that gave an excellent review of a specific vendor for backup cameras.

Do a search for them and read through to find the vendors name or it may even be listed in the Monacoers Parts List.

I installed a wireless system . . . . video isn't great but the cost was.  It's "live" enough I can monitor traffic sneaking up on me and excellent for changing lanes in traffic, even with the trailer.  It's also TONS better for backing vs "I can see the hitch only" OEM camera . . . but I still use my mirrors mostly. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FM58K2W

Wiring 12V to the camera was the tricky part (so much for "wireless" LOL).  Some people tap off one of the marker lights but that means driving with lights on ALWAYS.  I didn't like that idea.  The Sony OEM camera is 8V.  My original intent was an 8V to 12V DC-DC converter but I didn't like that idea either, so I tapped into the Sony monitor, isolated the audio pins for the camera microphone and used the audio wire to feed 12V to the camera, which is mounted above the OEM camera housing.  Yes, I had to isolate the audio wire at the camera but that was easier. 

The system I bought has an option for up to 4 cameras but 4 videos can get pretty small on the monitor.  I bought the 2 camera system with the plan to use the front camera as a recording device.  It will record but it won't play back.  Well, maybe but I lost the instructions.  I have to take the USB drive out and plug into a PC to get play back.  The front camera is pretty much a paper weight now because I don't like the split screen format. 

It's supposed to be a touch screen but it's not (or it's broken).  By the time I checked the video record / playback I was past the return window. 

If you're made of money go buy a wired system and have a professional install it.  If you're on a budget and a DIY'er this is my experience. 

- bob

6 hours ago, cbr046 said:

I installed a wireless system . . . . video isn't great but the cost was.  It's "live" enough I can monitor traffic sneaking up on me and excellent for changing lanes in traffic, even with the trailer.  It's also TONS better for backing vs "I can see the hitch only" OEM camera . . . but I still use my mirrors mostly. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FM58K2W

Wiring 12V to the camera was the tricky part (so much for "wireless" LOL).  Some people tap off one of the marker lights but that means driving with lights on ALWAYS.  I didn't like that idea.  The Sony OEM camera is 8V.  My original intent was an 8V to 12V DC-DC converter but I didn't like that idea either, so I tapped into the Sony monitor, isolated the audio pins for the camera microphone and used the audio wire to feed 12V to the camera, which is mounted above the OEM camera housing.  Yes, I had to isolate the audio wire at the camera but that was easier. 

The system I bought has an option for up to 4 cameras but 4 videos can get pretty small on the monitor.  I bought the 2 camera system with the plan to use the front camera as a recording device.  It will record but it won't play back.  Well, maybe but I lost the instructions.  I have to take the USB drive out and plug into a PC to get play back.  The front camera is pretty much a paper weight now because I don't like the split screen format. 

It's supposed to be a touch screen but it's not (or it's broken).  By the time I checked the video record / playback I was past the return window. 

If you're made of money go buy a wired system and have a professional install it.  If you're on a budget and a DIY'er this is my experience. 

- bob

I just bought and I stalled this 6 months ago. I didn't have a direct wire. Which as Said earlier is better. I can't complain about quality or lag in video. Every now and again it may freeze for a second but otherwise it's definitely live and clear. Plus you can honestly mount them anywhere. I put one at the back of the car dolly facing forward towards straps and golf cart to watch for movement. Close to 60 feet behind drivers dash and works great.