Putting out feelers

JDCrow

So siting here in the coast, dry camping. My dear wife seems to finally grasp why I like the MH way of camping/traveling. We have a great view of the harbor and bay, everything is contained in the Coach, and we are enjoying the space l, even in our tiny 34’ Coach. 

Now we currently live in a massive 43’ 5vr while we sort out our business projects, and building a personal barndo style home in a year or so. The ability to just pack up and have everything is starting to appeal more, at least this week, LOL.

Anyway, I’ve always been very partial to Country Coach. She’s ok with that, but we grew up watching Beaver Coaches rolling out the factory and both had the “someday when we make it, we will get one”

Maybe that day is closer, IDK. I’m having some problems having her think about a Monaco or HR as she thinks that they are a bit plain (her words not mine) 

We can both agree on a 40’ max length, and I’m dead set on a tag coach. CC has lots out there in this configuration, and we have seen some Beaver Marquis while looking. 
The Beavers have lots of burl veneer that peels and the heavy lacquer always seem to be foggy from lack of proper humidity while in storage or to much time in the sun.

So couple questions, any other Monaco lines with 40’, tag axle? 

And on those, what to expect? I’m here multiplex here and there, so what to avoid, what to look for ? I know I’ll stay away from Cat C13 after 2006 due to emissions issues. 

And there are some cat transmissions? I’m going to look at that as well. 

I’ve driven more than a few class 8 trucks in my life, but none with a series 60, those seem rare in a coach as well. I’m concerned that at 40’ with 4 slides and other weight that an ISL 400 won’t be enough given we are over mountain passes to get anywhere. 

So post away, give me thoughts, links to one’s for sale, or websites with floorplans etc. 

We are probably a solid 8-10 months out, and so have lots of time on to chew on what we learn. 

Thanks in advance. And yes, I know budget is everything. I think we are in the 100-120k Range which to what I see is an 2003-2006 year range. We expect a to do flooring, appliances, tires, batteries, etc to bring it up to date and and safe. 

• Like 1

As far as the ISL 400 and having enough power we just came back from a 5000 mile trip out west. It was the first time with this motorhome in some real mountains and it had plenty of power. We went west of Denver on I-70 through the Eisenhower tunnel and some other long step grades and she preformed well and the two stage engine brake worked fantastic as well. It’s a 42’ tag axle so it weighs more than a 40’ tag that you are looking for. I averaged 7.7 mpg for the entire trip and I was happy with that. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Georgia Mike said:

As far as the ISL 400 and having enough power we just came back from a 5000 mile trip out west. It was the first time with this motorhome in some real mountains and it had plenty of power. We went west of Denver on I-70 through the Eisenhower tunnel and some other long step grades and she preformed well and the two stage engine brake worked fantastic as well. It’s a 42’ tag axle so it weighs more than a 40’ tag that you are looking for. I averaged 7.7 mpg for the entire trip and I was happy with that. 

Thanks for your input. My knowledge is limited in I only have my 330hp to compare it to on the Coach world. 

In trucking days, a 400 Cummins BC3 couldn’t keep up to a 425 Cat 3406. Not that it wasn’t a bad motor, torque was at a different RPM. 

Talk more about your coach, likes/dislikes 

My current coach has the 500 hp cummins and I like it so much better.  I have it on cruise at 65 and it doesn't drop speed at all on long hills.  6.5 MPG.  The executives and signatures would have at least that engine and you see some that are 40 feet, but they are pretty rare.  One of the things I'm not a huge fan of is the basement doors under the slide.  I think in later years they made them side hinged instead of top hinged.  They are a  pain to get into when you are an old man.  My original plan was to stay at 40 or under, but there just were not many to choose from and of course they need to be in good condition, the right color scheme, etc.  I still watch the ads for that special, dream coach to come along, but I'm really loving this coach.  Such a nice drive with the tag axle and good sized engine.

• Like 1

I don’t have many dislikes but one thing comes to mind immediately and that is the location of the one fuel filter on the ISL 400. I have posted about this a few times before being located right above the starter and a pain to change out without getting soaked with diesel fuel. One of the main and many positives that comes to mind is how well it drives on the road. My previous Motorhome was a Fleetwood Discovery non tag and it drove ok but when I drove this it was like night and day. The Dynasty is very stable, no rocking from side to side when turning and very little movement if any when being passed by 18 wheelers. It just feels solid on the road. 

• Like 1

On IRV2 I see a lot of posts by CC owners.  They are a passionate group, very similar to Monaco owners.

Back about a month ago I stumbled across a CC Intrigue that was in an auction.   Very nice coach, did have high mileage but at the right price would have been worth taking the risk.  I monitored the auction, actually bid on it, but missed it when it actually came up.  It ultimately sold for ~$60K with the buyers premium. 

Also like the look at some of the Beaver Coaches, the Moonstone model caught my eye.  

If you are willing to shop/look/wait I'm sure you'll find something that meets your needs.  Being patient is the key.  BTW there is a recent posting in the classifieds for a Dynasty which looks really nice and seems to be a fair price.  

Good Luck

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

My current coach has the 500 hp cummins and I like it so much better.  I have it on cruise at 65 and it doesn't drop speed at all on long hills.  6.5 MPG.  The executives and signatures would have at least that engine and you see some that are 40 feet, but they are pretty rare.  One of the things I'm not a huge fan of is the basement doors under the slide.  I think in later years they made them side hinged instead of top hinged.  They are a  pain to get into when you are an old man.  My original plan was to stay at 40 or under, but there just were not many to choose from and of course they need to be in good condition, the right color scheme, etc.  I still watch the ads for that special, dream coach to come along, but I'm really loving this coach.  Such a nice drive with the tag axle and good sized engine.

The main reason for the tag is exactly what you said, stability. Have you had to make any adjustments or add on like watts etc?

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

How long have you had your coach? Any thing you’ve had to change or modify? 

58 minutes ago, Georgia Mike said:

I don’t have many dislikes but one thing comes to mind immediately and that is the location of the one fuel filter on the ISL 400. I have posted about this a few times before being located right above the starter and a pain to change out without getting soaked with diesel fuel. One of the main and many positives that comes to mind is how well it drives on the road. My previous Motorhome was a Fleetwood Discovery non tag and it drove ok but when I drove this it was like night and day. The Dynasty is very stable, no rocking from side to side when turning and very little movement if any when being passed by 18 wheelers. It just feels solid on the road. 

Thanks for your thoughts. You are solidifying my thoughts on a tag axle. Wife is on board with that fact. Off topic, where about in Georgia are you based? I’ve never been but my last few dogs have come from Vienna 

9 hours ago, JDCrow said:

So siting here in the coast, dry camping. My dear wife seems to finally grasp why I like the MH way of camping/traveling. We have a great view of the harbor and bay, everything is contained in the Coach, and we are enjoying the space l, even in our tiny 34’ Coach. 

Now we currently live in a massive 43’ 5vr while we sort out our business projects, and building a personal barndo style home in a year or so. The ability to just pack up and have everything is starting to appeal more, at least this week, LOL.

Anyway, I’ve always been very partial to Country Coach. She’s ok with that, but we grew up watching Beaver Coaches rolling out the factory and both had the “someday when we make it, we will get one”

Maybe that day is closer, IDK. I’m having some problems having her think about a Monaco or HR as she thinks that they are a bit plain (her words not mine) 

We can both agree on a 40’ max length, and I’m dead set on a tag coach. CC has lots out there in this configuration, and we have seen some Beaver Marquis while looking. 
The Beavers have lots of burl veneer that peels and the heavy lacquer always seem to be foggy from lack of proper humidity while in storage or to much time in the sun.

So couple questions, any other Monaco lines with 40’, tag axle? 

And on those, what to expect? I’m here multiplex here and there, so what to avoid, what to look for ? I know I’ll stay away from Cat C13 after 2006 due to emissions issues. 

And there are some cat transmissions? I’m going to look at that as well. 

I’ve driven more than a few class 8 trucks in my life, but none with a series 60, those seem rare in a coach as well. I’m concerned that at 40’ with 4 slides and other weight that an ISL 400 won’t be enough given we are over mountain passes to get anywhere. 

So post away, give me thoughts, links to one’s for sale, or websites with floorplans etc. 

We are probably a solid 8-10 months out, and so have lots of time on to chew on what we learn. 

Thanks in advance. And yes, I know budget is everything. I think we are in the 100-120k Range which to what I see is an 2003-2006 year range. We expect a to do flooring, appliances, tires, batteries, etc to bring it up to date and and safe. 

IF you stay with a 40, then find one with 3 AC or change your length.  There ain't enough BTU's per foot...  There were some Tiffen's that had 3 AC in shorter lengths....don't know about TAG. 

• Like 1

We listed our 2008 Dynasty for sale on this site but my wife decided she was not completely read to give it up. It has been professionally maintained and is in tip-top condition; in about 8 months we will be ready to sell this time for real. You might want to take a look— it is still in the coaches for sale listings. 

IMG_2902.jpeg

IMG_2793.jpeg

Big difference between a REAL Beaver Coach and one built right after Monaco bought the factory in Bend. A lot of unhappy employees when that went down. It shows up in the build quality. Some stuff I have found was not dome by accident. Just be careful.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CTerry said:

Big difference between a REAL Beaver Coach and one built right after Monaco bought the factory in Bend. A lot of unhappy employees when that went down. It shows up in the build quality. Some stuff I have found was not dome by accident. Just be careful.

What model years were affected by this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grizzly said:

There are some older Dynasty coaches that are 40". actually 41.5 with tags. Tags are great we have an 07 Sig 45' with tag. we love it. 600 hp cummins

Yeah I posted a link to an 05 Dynasty with. 505 series 60 that is 41’ 

• Like 1