Gas Additives, Y or N

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

I am currently fully responsible to see to our 2008 Safari Simba care. My husband was severely injured in April and our lives detoured and the coach sits. I do plan to drive it and run the generator, but I wondered about a gas additive. To add or not to add, that is the question. And which additive? Thanks much!

• Like 1

Good morn! 

Very sorry for your husband’s accident. It’s commendable that you are keeping things on track and moving forward. 

First, without me going and researching your model, you said generator, I assume it diesel, but you mentioned gas additive? 

Second, where in the country do you live? Colder areas need different additives. 

Edited by JDCrow
Spelling

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. First, I'm asking about a gas additive for the gas tank. I saw Sea Foam Gas tank additive as a suggested online, as an example. I plan to drive it to turn the tires and run the engine to move fluids through and not stay stagnant,  including running generator.

We are in Fort Worth, TX area. The coach is 2008 Safari Simba Workhorse, 36PCT, gas. 

I have it the storage facility,  under roof, plugged in.

Your input appreciated.20160217_131314.thumb.jpg.fb1393260ba93c8a372bf06a244569c4.jpg

Edited by KarenG

Ok perfect,

IMO, you will want to run Stabil. I run clear gas (non ethanol) in my boat and still had to rebuild a carburetor in one the engines as the fuel varnished and solidified. I poured copious amounts of seafoam to try and clean the carb to no avail 

Stabil is will helps with the issues you are worried about, and heat can amplify fuel issues with evaporation. 

My routine is every 6 months now for all my gas engines that sit for any period of time. 

• Like 2

Go with the Stabil and that is what I have been using on our WorkHorse chassis. Make sure to run the generator for at least 20 minutes (as it takes a while for the treated gas to reach the generator) and also turn an a/c on to exercise the generator. 

• Like 1

• Solution

No experience on Seafoam and the folks recommending are knowledgeable.  I hate to make this a "Chemistry Class", but belts and suspenders are great...

Seafoam....sounds good.

Stabil...  YES, I use it all the time. I also don't like ethanol fuels.  However, the bulk of the issues with ethanol is in the minute passages of small engines with no pressurized fuel system.  ODDS are... that the fuel system will be fine.  However, that being said....here are some ideas....plus I did some research on the engine (most likely the 8.1 Vortec) and comments from folks that had it in the HD work trucks.

SO, here is my recommendation....based on building fuel injectors and also, like a lot these folks, an old hot rodder gear head.

First...  Techron Fuel additive is one of the BEST additions for ANY fuel injected system.  All fuel injected systems are a spin off (or at least they were when I was setting up a manufacturing line) from the Bosch system.  Volvo and all the German cars were very demanding and precise about what to add as a additive.  The Techron was the first one recommended by Bosch and the service manage of my local Volvo dealership was adamant about it.  THEN, I started using it as a "cleaner" or preventative and it works wonders....as in I NEVER have had a Fuel Injection issue.  If it is good enough for my 2016 C7 Corvette...that is the best I can say....Rather than pay a Chevy dealer to do a Fuel Injection Cleaning...., I would buy the 20 OZ bottles on Amazon... 

https://www.amazon.com/Chevron-65740-CASE-Techron-Concentrate-Cleaner/dp/B0097SDUTE/ref=sr_1_2_pp?crid=EIXYRQ1FU6F0&keywords=techron&qid=1694968208&sprefix=techron%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-2&th=1

Whatever the label says...and I think it is 20 oz for a 20 gallon tank, double or at least 1.5 times....so 30 OZ for 20 gallons of fuel.  Dump it in....drive it to a fuel location...and put in PREMIUM fuel.  Mobil and Shell are my top picks.  If you live near a Costco and have a membership....then the Coscto Tier II fuels are great.  SO....fill up that rascal and drive it.  You want to drive for maybe 100 miles...then you can safely park it....

NOW the rest are a bit OPTIONAL.... You do NOT need to do the Techron cleaning and conditioning every fillup.  I would do it Annually....and DRIVE IT...

HEET or STP Gas Treatment.  You large tank (presumably) will provide the perfect conditions for condensation.  Ethanol fuels, in my esperience and talking to many small engine mechanics and also running a large portable emergency generator are prone to water or MOISTURE buildup.  Whatever the dosage on the container.....add 50%.  That is an alohol based product.  The alcohol allows the moister or water that would condensate and collect to dissassociate and is broken down then it just passes through.  The 5 OZ container treats 20 gallons....so that would be 1.5 containers per 20 gallons.  I would DO THAT AS WELL....that way if there is any water in the tank...you get rid of it...   Buying the single cans is $0.25 per OZ compared to the case of 24 for $80 as that is $0.29....  As with the Techron....do this once a year.  However, I actually use the Stabil and Heet for all my fuel that I store for the generator....

The rest is whatever....Stabil is CHEAP and does good work.  Use it EVERY FILLUP...Buy in bulk from Amazon.  SO, if you added Stabil and Heet (STP) every fillup....that would probably be great and then do the above for an annual....FUEL treatment.

Past that.... Seafoam is recommended.  Starbrite Startron is also recommended.  The Stratron is an enzyme cleaner....usually when you have an issue...or as a OMG, try this.. as we have some critters growing in the tank...  It is a "Polisher"... I think the Techron &.or that is my take.  

The other thing....change the oil annually....whatever brand and grade that has been used....do NOT change....A MUST DO...

• Like 1

I have used all of the above and in MHO their okay.  I have off road toys and boats and been turning wrenches for a while now.  I used the above listed until a friend (master mechanic IMO) turned me onto to a product called HELIX.  It's referred to carb rebuild in a bottle.  It boosts octane by 2 and if you add extra you can store fuel up to two years.  Safe on seals.   I put this in all gasoline engines, super charged outboard boat motor, log splitter, snow blower, dirt bikes, UTV's MC Etc.  zero problems staring a year later and never a fuel related issue.  Keeps everything clean.   Example:  take your dirtiest jet and place it in a cap, put a few drops of Helix and gas, let it set over night and you will have a pristine jet on the morning.  Take a sputtering motorcycle, put in fresh gas with Helix and let it run, you will hear it clear up.  

Just thought I'd share the info as another option, I don't sell it, just a strong believer in the product.  

Helix Racing Products 5-in-1 Fuel Treatment - 700604500837
  • Eliminates water from fuel systems
  • Works with 2- and 4-stroke engines
  • Revitalizes old gas
  • Boosts octane by up to two points
  • Stabilizes fuel for up to two years
  • Cleans injectors, carburetors and fuel system components
  • Alters burn chemistry for more complete combustion
  • Proprietary formulation of complex organic bio-based (green) compounds
  • Regular use results in more power, better mileage and a cleaner environment
  • Treats 16 gallons
  • 8 fl. oz. bottle

• Thanks 1

I agree to some extent re diesel but diesel does not contain ethanol (as an additive) which is hydroscopic (attracts water). That is why an additive is needed when a gas coach is placed in storage. More frequently is at the owner’s discretion. 

• Thanks 1

I've used StaBil for decades on stored engines.  It's always worked well for me.
Just follow the dosage instructions.

Also, driving the coach and running the generator occasionally is a good idea.
It doesn't necessarily need to be every month, but 3 to 4 times a year will do a lot to prevent problems.

Sorry to hear of your husband's injury.  Prayers for his full recovery, and for you and your family as well. 🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dl-racing427, we use Stabil in our classic car when it sits for long periods of time. However, KarenG is not saying her RV will sit for long periods. Why put Stabil in the tank of something that will be used frequently? Do you use it in your daily driver? My suggestion is to always park it with a full tank of fuel and use Stabil if it will sit for several months or more.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Doug and Nicki said:

dl-racing427, we use Stabil in our classic car when it sits for long periods of time. However, KarenG is not saying her RV will sit for long periods. Why put Stabil in the tank of something that will be used frequently? Do you use it in your daily driver? My suggestion is to always park it with a full tank of fuel and use Stabil if it will sit for several months or more.

She said she'll only be driving it occasionally to keep it in running shape.
A 15 minute drive every few months won't be burning off a 100 gallon tank very often, so yes, the fuel will be subject to long term storage.

Unlike diesel, gasoline has many lighter elements that evaporate over time, leaving the heavier components to form varnish which clogs injectors and can stick fuel pumps as well.  StaBil significantly helps prevent that problem, and has a long standing reputation for working as designed. 
It's very cheap insurance against quite expensive repairs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1