Relays are Relays . . . . Right?

cbr046
Go to solution Solved by dandick66,

So I finally pinned down a problem to an intermittently bad relay.  The FRB Monaco Box 2 is filled with Tyco VJ28-95F24-S01 relays.  Right next to it in Monaco Box 1 is filled with Omron 7866 relays.  They appear to be the same, including the 20A NO / 10A NC current specs.

My guess is these were just assembled at different times with the fl"avor of the day" relay that purchasing acquired.

At $14 the 7866's are ~$6 less than the VJ28 relays on Amazon . . . and then there's Nilight . . . . a 5 pack for $2.80 each.  Sounds like a bargain (until I'm on the side of the road 400 miles away).

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=relay+12v+omron+7866&crid=3L59AJ0VH7OB8&sprefix=7866+relay

or search for VJ28-95F24-S01.

Are these relays all the same?

- bob

Hi Bob, 

No sir, all relays are not created equal. Bosch relays, in my opinion are far superior compared to any I have used over the last 25 years. I don’t mean to sound ‘elitist’ but, if you get a German made relay vs a Chinese made relay- chances are you will regret it, and will probably be at the most inopportune time. 

Good luck!

Nick 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, K9 Exec said:

Hi Bob, 

No sir, all relays are not created equal. Bosch relays, in my opinion are far superior compared to any I have used over the last 25 years. I don’t mean to sound ‘elitist’ but, if you get a German made relay vs a Chinese made relay- chances are you will regret it, and will probably be at the most inopportune time. 

Good luck!

Nick 

So you're saying Chinese is better than German?

Gary 05 AMB DST 

FWIW….we have many members that don’t trust new ones….Import or Bosch, out of the box.  They have a bench rig or will put a new relay into a slot where there is NO PROBLEM. Then test that device or function to verify that the new relay works.  Then they put back in the old, or if needed, they put the old one, that was working, into the socket that needed a new relay.  I have a great tech that does that.  He says he has been disappointed too many times…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

FWIW….we have many members that don’t trust new ones….Import or Bosch, out of the box.  They have a bench rig or will put a new relay into a slot where there is NO PROBLEM. Then test that device or function to verify that the new relay works.  Then they put back in the old, or if needed, they put the old one, that was working, into the socket that needed a new relay.  I have a great tech that does that.  He says he has been disappointed too many times…

Tom, it was a serious question of what is better, no derogatory statement was intended. 

Gary 05 AMB DST

I guess i didn’t proofread my post prior to firing it off. I have had too many of the cheaper relays fail, if I have a choice- I always stay away from the cheap ones, they will fail you- not if, but at the worst time. 

Nick 

• Solution
On 9/22/2023 at 4:40 PM, cbr046 said:

So I finally pinned down a problem to an intermittently bad relay.  The FRB Monaco Box 2 is filled with Tyco VJ28-95F24-S01 relays.  Right next to it in Monaco Box 1 is filled with Omron 7866 relays.  They appear to be the same, including the 20A NO / 10A NC current specs.

My guess is these were just assembled at different times with the fl"avor of the day" relay that purchasing acquired.

At $14 the 7866's are ~$6 less than the VJ28 relays on Amazon . . . and then there's Nilight . . . . a 5 pack for $2.80 each.  Sounds like a bargain (until I'm on the side of the road 400 miles away).

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=relay+12v+omron+7866&crid=3L59AJ0VH7OB8&sprefix=7866+relay

or search for VJ28-95F24-S01.

Are these relays all the same?

- bob

FWIW I’ve had good luck with the Nilight relays their other products.  

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 2:11 PM, K9 Exec said:

I always stay away from the cheap ones, they will fail you- not if, but at the worst time. 

Nick 

I have a $1,650 tow bill that might substantiate that statement.  *IF* I had known enough to start swapping relays I might have avoided it, but I thought relays were there for decoration - never seen one fail EVER. 

FWIW The relay that failed (after 20 years) was a Tyco Electronics.  No idea how many amps it pushes (Keyed Ignition circuit).

- bob

• Like 1

I agree with K9Exec, once he proof reads, the cheap relays are just that.  

I live by the good, fast, cheap model.  Pick any two of the 3 and the one you do not choose is what you have to be willing to live with. 

Good + Fast = Will not be Cheap.

Fast + Cheap= Will not be good.

Good + Cheap= Will not be fast (and probably will not be all that good.)

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
43 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

FWIW The relay that failed (after 20 years) was a Tyco Electronics.

Tyco makes toys, don't they?  No wait a min. Mattel bought them.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyco_Toys

Here they are, Tyco International in Ireland.  Nope, merged with Johnson controls. Now Johnson Controls International  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyco_International

Oh, here it is Tyco Electronics,  oops it's now   TE Connectivity      SCHAFFHAUSEN, Switzerland    

https://www.te.com/usa-en/about-te/news-center/corporate-news/2011/2011-03-10-tyco-electronics-is-now-te-connectivity-ltd-.html

Wow with over 500,000 products and over 100,000 employees,  they must have quite a payroll.    Makes my head spin.

Hi Bob,

I would totally agree that was Murphy at work! 🙂 The OEM relays were really good and 20 yrs ago Tyco was one of the best. We used them all the time with ZERO failures. I bought out the last case from my distributor and have a few hundred left. They have since been gobbled up then subsequently rebranded a few times over. 

One thing I would caution anyone on would be using the ones off of Amazon that you can’t pronounce. I had to get a few in a hurry away from home with none locally available and decided to get what would be delivered next day- the weight on the ‘el cheapo’s’ were half that of the regular 30/40 amp relays we always had used .  I didn’t even use them because in my opinion, I would be expecting failure. With my curiosity getting the better of me,  I opened one up ‘just to see’ the quality (or lack there of) and boy was I surprised!The wiper, contacts, and the it was constructed was pretty poor. The rating supposedly was 30/40 amps but I would guess 10 amps were more realistic. 😞 

Nick 

• Like 1