Parking brake warning horn fix

I believe there was a thread describing a permanent fix for a parking brake warning beeper that won’t turn off when the coach is put in gear with the parking brake released. I’ve searched for the thread but nothing I input for search terms gives the thread. The thread could have been on another forum but thought it was here. Mine does this frequently especially on the first drive of the day but eventually stops beeping. The length of time it beeps keeps getting longer and I’m afraid someday it won’t stop.

Ed       
‘05 HR Ambassador 

I’ll have to check. I went out and started the crack, relieved the park brake and the light on dash went out. Put it in drive, released the brake and no beeper. First time that has happened on initial start that I can remember. Next time the beeper sounds inappropriately I’ll check the dash light.

Thanks

Use the following in the SEARCH BOX.  Brake Light Warning. Then select Topics.  I made a post there....generic.  Read it.

The Nassan switch has a Ground signal..  IIRC.  That Ground signal is used in numerous places.  It has MANY, some CRITICAL, uses....It is used in the "Lets run the slides" circuit.  It also is used, I think, with the jacks.  Here is a main print from a 2006 Diplomat.  BUT, if you look at the rest of the prints in that file, many are marked with "most models".  Therefore, if you are having an issue with the light and it is "flaky"....odds are... it is in the switch. BUT....it could be the relay or the diode....

There is a Relay also in the circuit....  There is also a DIode in the circuit for the Park Brake Light.  You should be able to find these.  Swap out a GOOD relay or buy a BOSCH (assuming they are BOSCH and not Omicron?) and see what happens.  The diode has been found on a board up front.  It is a common one from NAPA and easy to spot and replace.  These have given folks fits.

Not something that you want to let go or continue to get worse.  It needs to be addressed...and troubleshot....  

2006 Diplomat & Other years Overall Chassis Wiring Front to Rear....BLOW IT UP.pdf

2 hours ago, saflyer said:

I believe there was a thread describing a permanent fix for a parking brake warning beeper that won’t turn off when the coach is put in gear with the parking brake released.

This happened to me when I swapped IGN relay with PARK/BELL and PARK/BELL with HORN relay from the other Monaco box.  For unknown reason the relays in Monaco 2 were a different manufacturer than Monaco 1 boxes.  Now the coach would start but no air horn, but it was the most benign relay I could swap until new relays arrived.  THIS WAS TEMPORARY.

When new relays arrived the new relay went into IGN slot, the HORN relay went back to it's original home and PARK/BELL slot was empty.  Dang, I had the bad relay and an original identical relay in my hand.  50/50 getting the working relay back into PARK/BELL slot.  You know what happened . . . . . I don't even think about playing the lottery.

Now the coach would start every time and while airing up it had the normal "low air warning" sound.  I don't remember if it stopped sounding, but when I released the parking brake and put the coach in gear the warning was constant and wouldn't stop.  Sure enough, I put the bad relay in the PARK/BELL slot.  Once I put the good relay in all was good again. 

So try swapping PARK/BELL 1 or 2 with HORN relay and see if that doesn't fix your problem.  Then try the HORN and see if you get no toot.

Sorry for the long story.

- bob

4 hours ago, saflyer said:

I believe there was a thread describing a permanent fix for a parking brake warning beeper that won’t turn off when the coach is put in gear with the parking brake released. I’ve searched for the thread but nothing I input for search terms gives the thread. The thread could have been on another forum but thought it was here. Mine does this frequently especially on the first drive of the day but eventually stops beeping. The length of time it beeps keeps getting longer and I’m afraid someday it won’t stop.

Ed       
‘05 HR Ambassador 

OMG.  Our 05 Ambassador does that too.  All of a sudden began about a year ago at 80,000 miles and keeps getting more and more troublesome.

For what it’s worth, ours was similar. Replaced the Nayson pressure switch which fixed the issue. It’s a electro-mechanical device. Now levelers deploy, dash Parking light illuminates, and no “bong”.  They are a known issue and pretty easy to install. Cost was about $100 and took me <45 minutes to remove/replace.

14 hours ago, Bobkat11208 said:

For what it’s worth, ours was similar. Replaced the Nayson pressure switch which fixed the issue. It’s a electro-mechanical device. Now levelers deploy, dash Parking light illuminates, and no “bong”.  They are a known issue and pretty easy to install. Cost was about $100 and took me <45 minutes to remove/replace.

I replace that switch years ago. Didn’t help. I know there was a thread on some forum describing a completely different fix that was supposed to do the job but can’t find it.

30 minutes ago, saflyer said:

I replace that switch years ago. Didn’t help. I know there was a thread on some forum describing a completely different fix that was supposed to do the job but can’t find it.

The only different fix that I'm familiar with, was an article that Bob Nodine wrote up using the same wire harness, and a relay.   I had replaced my nason switch 3 times, every couple of years.  Finally did the 'Nodine fix' about 8 years ago and it's been fine ever since.

I see the article in the downloads section

Edited by windsorbill06

Our SEARCH box is a powerful tool  @windsorbill06 beat me to it.  BUT, if you put "Nodine" in the search box and click on Topics.... or FILES....you will get this...which is what WindsorBill06 posted.  

one MIGHT try Nason....as we have had it spelled way to many ways....  Do a Search and first try Topics....then Files.

On 10/17/2023 at 10:29 AM, saflyer said:

Ed       
‘05 HR Ambassador 

On my 2005 Monaco Knight I just had the same problem and replace the air switch just below the air brake push/pull knob. I say below because mine is vertical. Yours might be horizontal so then it will be behind. Very easy replacement even if you're slightly handy.

17 minutes ago, Rico K 2005 Knight said:

On my 2005 Monaco Knight I just had the same problem and replace the air switch just below the air brake push/pull knob. I say below because mine is vertical. Yours might be horizontal so then it will be behind. Very easy replacement even if you're slightly handy.

Thanks, but I replaced mine once and it didn’t help. I know there was another solution written on some forum but I can’t find it.

Edited by saflyer

FWIW: I had my switch fail on a trip about 15 years ago.  I can't remember if I just unplugged it or put a jumper on 2 of the connector ports.  But I got rid of the alarm and was able to drive home in peace.

I've replaced the switch 2 or 3 times and carry a spare. If there's a next time I'll do the Nodine fix.

On 10/17/2023 at 1:06 PM, cbr046 said:

This happened to me when I swapped IGN relay with PARK/BELL and PARK/BELL with HORN relay from the other Monaco box.  For unknown reason the relays in Monaco 2 were a different manufacturer than Monaco 1 boxes.  Now the coach would start but no air horn, but it was the most benign relay I could swap until new relays arrived.  THIS WAS TEMPORARY.

When new relays arrived the new relay went into IGN slot, the HORN relay went back to it's original home and PARK/BELL slot was empty.  Dang, I had the bad relay and an original identical relay in my hand.  50/50 getting the working relay back into PARK/BELL slot.  You know what happened . . . . . I don't even think about playing the lottery.

Now the coach would start every time and while airing up it had the normal "low air warning" sound.  I don't remember if it stopped sounding, but when I released the parking brake and put the coach in gear the warning was constant and wouldn't stop.  Sure enough, I put the bad relay in the PARK/BELL slot.  Once I put the good relay in all was good again. 

So try swapping PARK/BELL 1 or 2 with HORN relay and see if that doesn't fix your problem.  Then try the HORN and see if you get no toot.

Sorry for the long story.

- bob

Be careful swapping relays. Some have 6 volt relays and 12 volt relays side by side. They look the same.

I moved the coach yesterday. The airbags were low so that warning beeper came on. After it stopped I released the parking brake and put it in drive that warning beeper came on. Both beepers seemed to be in the same location and about the same tone but a difference in rapidity of the beep. Can I conclude the two warnings use the same beeper? Also, one person implied the leveling jacks are part of the parking brake/transmission alarm system. One of mine takes a long time to fully retract but they all appeared to be fully up when I did this test. 

There is one common beeper for several alarms, so the sound will come from the same place.  You need to replace the Nason switch.

Here is the part number: SM-1C-66R/WP28 by NASON - Buy or Repair at Radwell - Radwell.com

It's mounted under the arm rest consol on the park brake valve.  You can access through the cup holde.

• 4 months later...
On 10/20/2023 at 10:27 AM, Larry Laursen said:

There is one common beeper for several alarms, so the sound will come from the same place.  You need to replace the Nason switch.

Here is the part number: SM-1C-66R/WP28 by NASON - Buy or Repair at Radwell - Radwell.com

It's mounted under the arm rest consol on the park brake valve.  You can access through the cup holde.

I wish I had a cup holder in the left side console. The one in the drawer in the center console is a stretch while driving.

37 minutes ago, saflyer said:

I wish I had a cup holder in the left side console. The one in the drawer in the center console is a stretch while driving.

Yeah, it is nice.  If you have the room I don't see why you couldn't cut a hole - all you'd need then is an insert.

On 2/24/2024 at 1:44 PM, saflyer said:

There are different versions of these.  I picked this one to hold my drink bottle.  The OEM holder on the left side with the transmission selector works good for take-out coffee cups but not bottles.  If I *DO* end up with a McDonalds / Love's / Pilot cup of coffee I simply pop the OEM one back in.  Best of both worlds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NFTFQ8M/

- bob

12 minutes ago, Rico K 2005 Knight said:

Flip down RV cup holders are sold all over the net and Amazon 

I had these on a boat and purchased more as we had larger groups. I have two of these in my Camelot now. Never a problem. I have one in the bedroom on the wall for morning coffee…retracted or closed, the bed lifts up and clears. Amazon probably sell. West Maine sold the sane brand or  manufacturer that the original boat builder used. Kept boat for 30 years.  Looked new and were fine when sold.

IMG_1152.png