Aqua Hot Diesel not Firing (Lighting)….2006 Executive. WHY???

Go to solution Solved by Venturer,

All I did was search for garber fuel filter to come up with description of hygroscopic filtering done with polymer components that hold and keep moisture from being discharged down stream . It is called”water block”I have searched and found it several times. Each model of filter I saw included hygroscopic filtering . Including the ones designated for aquahot.. the hygroscopic filters I used on my diesel fuel bulk barrels were twice as expensive as non hygroscopic. It appears from what I see that garber filters may all be hygroscopic. May be why there is such a price difference . I have used both types but will probably do garber from now on.  The end.

Edited by Jetjockey
Addit

My previous Windsor uses the Racor R12T filter which has the clear water/debris trap bowl at the bottom.

My Dynasty uses the standard filter without the water.debris trap at the bottom. I cant read the brand, etc. as the label is facing the other direction.

18 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

My previous Windsor uses the Racor R12T filter which has the clear water/debris trap bowl at the bottom.

That's what's in our coach too. Once a year or two I drain it, only changed it once, just because but never caused a problem.

Yes, the filter is the least of the problems with the Aqua-Hot. I was forced to change mine once in the Windsor when I took on a full tank of bad fuel in the Yukon while coming back from Alaska. I had to change out both engine fuel filters, the Aqua-Hot filter and the generator filter to get everything back to normal.

That was an interesting trip and back story.

Jetjockey is 100% correct. I can tell he is or has been involved in the aviation industry. 
Garber filters ARE NOT MADE BY WIX. They are manufactured by General Filters Inc. Most Wix filters aren’t made by WIX anymore. WIX was bought out by Mann+Hummel a few years back. Also a few years back the filter industry was forced to get together and rethink their cross references on filters. Filters company’s use to list a cross reference if their filter had the same dimensions and thread and micron rating and flow rate. Not so much anymore. Hydroscopic, epoxy coating, antibacterial,anti fugal and many other factors come into play. The Garber R cross's to very few anymore. Cat, Cummins, and Volvo filters use to cross to every brand, not so much anymore. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just got back from a trip and my Aquahot diesel wouldn’t fire for the first time. I had the same scenario as Venturer where it started the blower but wouldn’t lite and after a minute or two the diesel light would go out. When I arrived home I started to check into it and found one of the zone pumps was running with all the Aqua hot switches off. I tried pressing the reset button on the control board but it didn’t seem to do anything so disconnected from AC and turned my house and chassis mains off. After a few minutes I turned everything back on and the diesel burner fired up and went through a full cycle and shut off. I think my board might be going bad not sure. One thing I was amazed with was one night it got down to 30 degrees. I put the rear and bathroom zones on and left the front off on the Aqua hot furnace. With just the electric it kept us warm and was cycling on and off during the night set at 70. I didn’t think it would keep up but it did just fine. 

At 30deg, the zone pump with the wet bay heat exchanger in it's loop may have been the one that was running.

Read a while back that it's thermostat can start the pump whether the boiler fluid is up to temperature or not.

Edited by 96 EVO
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

At 30deg, the zone pump with the wet bay heat exchanger in it's loop may have been the one that was running

It was after I got home and the temperature was 60-65 outside and everything with the Aqua hot was off and the zone pump was running. 

My experiences. When you have an intermittent “lights sometime”….or NOT….first change the filter on the unit.  If that doesn’t work and it sometimes lights and sometimes NOT….next step.

Find a “AH Certified” tech (see their website) and get the standard service.  My guy as well as AH says that the nozzles gum up and they become intermittent or maybe a sensor.  80% of the time, the normal 2 - 3 year PM with cleaning, new nozzle, new filter and adjusting will  fix this….

So, I would follow that route….any good AH tech should be able to diagnose other issues….find one that does the PM and don’t start throwing bucks at it…until that is done.  This advice mirrors a lot of the posts we have here.  Many folks are great at doing their own service.  I choose not to as I have  a great AH, trained and certified, tech…