Aqua Hot Diesel not Firing (Lighting)….2006 Executive. WHY???

Go to solution Solved by Venturer,

It tests everything the Webasto made box test for half the price. It tests and you can run the burner off just the test box. You can't leave it on for long periods because you are bypassing the thermostats. When you first plug it up you have a green light showing you have 12 volt power. Than there is a fuel button and spark button and a light showing the flame sensor is working. The first thing I always do is without the motor switch on you can hit fuel button and listen for the fuel solenoid to click. Than hit spark and listen real close for the coil sparking it sounds like a Tazzer. Than turn the motor on and see if your unit lights. If it lights and runs on the test box you know nothing is wrong with the burner.There is always a light showing if the flame sensor is working correctly.Time to look elsewhere. IE control box, electronic control board, Hi temp shutdown, control thermo.

IMG_6043.jpg

• Like 1

• Solution

It turned out to be the Hi temp sensor according to the tech. He has ordered one which should be here in time for a trip to Quartzite. If not, he will switch the wires with the other electric one for the time being. Guess I'll know in a couple days. Thanks amphi_sc for the suggestion.

On 1/16/2024 at 1:34 PM, Venturer said:

It turned out to be the Hi temp sensor according to the tech. He has ordered one which should be here in time for a trip to Quartzite. If not, he will switch the wires with the other electric one for the time being. Guess I'll know in a couple days. Thanks amphi_sc for the suggestion.

You're most welcome.  I'm glad it was the less expensive fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got it running today. It was the high temp sensor, however when he tried to swap the electric and diesel sensors a wire broke off and had to order another one. As it turned out, his book showed the sensors were wired in series, so swapping wasn't an option anyway. That seems odd, but it works great now with a new filter and nozzle. It also doesn't have such a strong diesel smell like before.  

Good to hear that you are all set. For future reference, the high limit switches are definitely not wired in series. One is wired in series to the electrical element and the other is in series on the burner circuit so they can be swapped as a test.

Your Aqua-Hot model should be the same one as mine, the 100-04.

It has one control thermostat for both the diesel and the electric. However, it has two separate high limit thermostats, one for the diesel and one for the electric assist.

This is explained in the models service manual.

I am having the same problem with mine at this point. I realized it when I had it on and smell raw diesel dripping from the tail pipe. Also No heat was coming from the exhaust. Just ordered new filter Gar Ber R and a new nozzle. Waiting for them to arrive but I believe the service will solve the issue. I haven't serviced in 2 years. 

2 hours ago, Rob Monda said:

Waiting for them to arrive but I believe the service will solve the issue. I haven't serviced in 2 years. 

Very good chance it will. When the nozzle gets clogged instead of shooting a fine mist like it should it just puts out a stream of diesel that won’t ignite. Hopefully it will fix your problem.

Just curious now. You said you had diesel fuel coming out the exhaust. I would have thought that if the burner did not light after a certain time, the fuel would be shut off to avoid loading the chamber and exhaust with fuel. Isn't there some type of safeguard for the burner to avoid raw fuel buildup ,,,,, or not? 

If the photo cell does not detect ignition, it would normally shut fuel off after predetermined time and the whole sequence ends but until then, fuel is being sprayed (or squirted with a bad nozzle) into the chamber and with repeated failed attempts it will be enough to leak out. Even worse if the fuel shutoff valve was leaking. Not mentioning potential controller issues.

Same filters from NAPA for less $$.   Three choices in spin on  33109  5" tall...   33115  7" tall... 33107  4" Tall.   All 10 micron  7" Cummins sells as "extended life".

The above are WIX numbers NAPA just drops the first 3.  Most good parts guys/gals will know by either.  New kids like the fake parts stores, good luck.

These are all made by WIX who probably makes the Garber as well.   

Racor R12T 10 micron is a 33583

https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/filterlookup.aspx?

I have been using NAPA's for years.  JMHO let the filter wars begin. 😁

1 hour ago, Jetjockey said:

The gar ber  filter have a water trap. The others I am not sure do.. 

Where did you learn of that? I never heard of that and I haven’t found it on any specification. 

Garber web site describes the water filter. It is a hygroscopicwater filter most likely since it is not like the settling type on many fuel filters that are drainable.Diesel fuel is mildly to very hygroscopic.It will absorb moisture from the air and keep it entrained in the fuel.I use the hygroscopic filters on my bulk diesel barrels. They do a good job but filter life is short .  I don’t think most filters are hygroscopic.it is done internally by the filtering media and not a bowl. Mine specifically label the filter as being so and they a more expensive.if you have ever noticed adding water to red diesel fuel will make it a milky red color until it has enough time to settle out. It will probably  pump before it has an opportunity to settle to the bottom of the bowl or tank. There probably is nothing that will compromise any fuel injection system quicker than contaminants of any kind.

Since pickup tubes or fuel pumps sit off the  bottom of most tanks why do vehicle manufacturers include water drains and water sensors,they would seem unnecessary. I guess the point is we are not trying only to keep free water out of the system but also the water entrained in the fuel. I have used filter of both ordinary and hygroscopic filters. Seems like my nozzles last longer with the garber,or it could just be a coincidence.

Edited by Jetjockey
Addit and spelling