Running 315/80/22.5 on steers only

Tillman111

Hi everyone... my coach is a 2002 Holiday Navigator 40PBDD on a roadmaster chassis. Per the tire placard tires size is 295/80/22.5. After further researched I opted to change the steer tires to 315/80/22.5. I am happy to report the ride is alot nicer as is my peice of mind with a bigger 20 ply steer tire. The down side of this is now my abs light is on which I am certain has to do with wheel speed sensors since the front tires are larger than the rear. I pulled some blink codes so far 4 6 17 are the main codes I am getting. My question to the group -  I have heard of many others doing this change to steer tires. Is there programming I should have done to account for the difference in tire size?  Thanks for the help!

Interesting.  I've changed three Monaco coaches over from 295 to 315 front tires and not had an issue with the ABS. 

I'm not sure the ABS system cares about the tire circumference, only that it's rolling and not locked up.  An active handling system does care about tire circumference but we do not have that system.  

Have you tried depressing the ABS reset switch?

Edited by vito.a
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. Inspected the sensors and harness nothing obvious stands out. The sensor seems to be seating correctly. I have not tried to clear the light using the button yet. On that note do you have an idea where I can find that procedure?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Do you know what ABS system you have? My codes come in pairs, for instance 4-6 would be left rear sensor. I had 17-1 and it was a broken retarder relay wire, so it depends...

What device are you using to retrieve codes?

• Like 1

Have put 315s on the front of 2 rigs without any ABS issues, the larger diameter isn’t your problem. I’m a little surprised they fit on a 40’ coach as it was a tight fit on our 42’ Dynasty and plenty of room on our 45’.

I have to try and find the brand of my abs system although I think I am getting blink codes in pairs as well. 
MHrookie I am retrieving codes using the abs push button that lets the system send blink codes. 
Ivylog they fit but it was close! I just can not believe the coincidence. Just after tire install light came on. The investigation continues!