Equalize Lifeline 4D AGM Batteries

Frank Bergamo

Considering equalizing 4, 4D Lifeline AGM house batteries. My Magnun Inverter/Charger has the equalize mode so no problem there. What I was wondering is, do the starting batteries combine with the house side during the equalizing process, and is this some thing I should do? I have the Big Boy combining system, so disconnecting the Big Boy wouldn’t be an issue to isolate the two battery systems. Also, I have a 30 amp service where I store my motor home. Any help or ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Frank Bergamo

• Frank Bergamo changed the title to Equalize Lifeline 4D AGM Batteries

Frank,

Lead acid equalization should only be executed on one battery bank at a time and the bank being equalized should be monitored carefully.  Some coaches have automatic battery bank combiners.  If your coach has an automatic battery bank combiner, you should disconnect the house side of your combiner from your house battery band before attempting the house battery bank equalization.  

1 hour ago, Frank Bergamo said:

Considering equalizing 4, 4D Lifeline AGM house batteries. My Magnun Inverter/Charger has the equalize mode so no problem there. What I was wondering is, do the starting batteries combine with the house side during the equalizing process, and is this some thing I should do? I have the Big Boy combining system, so disconnecting the Big Boy wouldn’t be an issue to isolate the two battery systems. Also, I have a 30 amp service where I store my motor home. Any help or ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!

https://lifelinebatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/6-0101F-Lifeline-Technical-Manual-Final-5-06-19.pdf

The general or as many here believe…. NOPE….equalizing as a ROUTINE PROCEDURE will do more harm than good.  Now, many will cite specific passages and such from Trojan, Lifeline and Magnum.

My take….  Magnum is NOT a battery manufacturer.  Their tech support, and this is from probably talking to them at least 25 times over the years from becoming a DP owner and then moderating here and of the “Founding” site since 2011 or so…. Magnum is more of a “Well, you can and this is how to do it”.

Next up, At least 10 - 15 conversations with Trojan.  ONLY AS A LAST RESORT.  But they did put in a weasel worded “maybe” in the manual.  But most of their long time techs, who’s name and voice I recognized said NO….only as a LAST DITCH.   OK….what about an AGM.  Read the manual.  

5.4 goes into charging.  It is more “involved” and “technical” than what I wrote and published in the file, Battery 101.  That link is at the end.

NOW….IF you do NOT have a good battery(s) and they do NOT charge OK (see and comprehend 5.4)….then, sort of a LAST ditch or hurrah, read and try 5.5…. Conditioning or Equalization. 

Bottom line,  flooded cells or AGM need to be discharged 3 or so times maybe every 6 to 9 months….unless you are a heavy boondocker and discharge them and fully understand the principles.  

THEN….the RINGER.  When you discharge a flooded cell battery, you can ADD electrolyte.  I will confess, due to two joint replacements (mine and DW) and family responsibilities, i just drove the Camelot yesterday.  It was more than 9 months.  I, as others have done, jumpered the leads of the Big Boy and both banks were charged.  I pulled the control leads so the Big Boy was OPEN and “on vacation”.  I have 30A service.  Progressive Surge said all was well.  MH started as planned.  Had to prime genny, as expected.  Drove until Tranny temperature was same as Engine.  Ran both the Heat Pump and AC cycles….all well.  Aquahot had white smoke…..turned it off….drove for 45 minutes….it was a little white or cloudy, but heated fine.  Added maybe 4 PSI to all tires, first, of course.

OK….THEN checked the Trojan T105 Levels (use a homemade, calibrated dip stick) They were about 1/3.  Ideal is 1/2 or distance between plates and bottom of fill well.  Added about 3 - 4 OZ per cell.  That is twice what is normal if I do the 6-9 month 3 cycle drain….as outlined.  But, the plates were never at risk or dry I use the Water Miser caps.  All the above squares with countless offline conversations with folks, like me, that get 7-10 years out of a bank of Trojans.

ALL THAT TO SAY. We ALL agree….if we do the recommended PM, all is well.  

NOW….if you have an AGM….all should be well and the batteries will be at 100% SOC after the last draw down and recharge cycle.  

BUT….we never have or need to EQUALIZE.  Some do it routinely.  That is their call….and they seem to know HOW and can add back all the electrolyte.

BUT, the first time you condition or equalize a SEALED AGM…..that may well be the end.  You have NO WAY TO ADD or REPLENISH the Electrolyte.  Lifeline doesn’t “dwell or print that out”.  Neither does Trojan in their “combo” manual. But call.  ASK.  Most of the Trojan techs say NO on flooded and say…LAST DITCH on AGM as equalization, even under the most controlled and perfect methods will boil off electrolyte and in an AGM, unless you break into the cells and can refill…is the DEATH KNELL….

SO…..my advice.  DO NOT.  Discharge 3 times every 6 - 9 months.  Monitor your REAL bounce back or pop back or recovery SOC.  If that drops into the 70 or 60% range….then MAYBE…but be prepared to buy a new bank.

MY thoughts….others might differ….but it works for a lot of us….many or most getting long life out of flooded…as well as AGM…

here is the link….

I personally decided against equalizing and put couple of Powerpulse units on both banks instead. My previous interstate set lasted more than 7 years this way, starting even couple of years longer and all were still good when replaced as a precaution prior to a 7 months long trip. Just did not like the chance of burning something forgotten and the mess it could make.

15 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

I personally decided against equalizing and put couple of Powerpulse units on both banks instead. My previous interstate set lasted more than 7 years this way, starting even couple of years longer and all were still good when replaced as a precaution prior to a 7 months long trip. Just did not like the chance of burning something forgotten and the mess it could make.

INDEED.  PulsePower or whomever says to use one unit on the Chassis and ONE on a “4 bank” set….2 on an 8 bank.  They also say that you “do” get some benefit from putting one on a “used” bank, but the key is to have one when you install new ones.  They work on AGM, I think, as well.

I have two….chassis and house.  Some folks don’t realize they work best with full time charging.  Otherwise, pulse says to FULLY recharge every month as they are parasitic….

3 hours ago, Frank Bergamo said:

Pull the purple wire connector off your B.I.R.D module. This will disconnect the chassis bank from being equalize charged!

1 hour ago, pwhittle said:

Lifeline tech support recommended equalizing their AGM’s to me.

Paul

Lifeline said “only after” issues. The prior section specifies exactly how to charge.  That’s what they told me. TROJAN has some “weasel” verbiage on Flooded cells, but all the tech support say only after the batteries have been abused…and you ain’t got much to lose. Double Ditto 
on Trojan AGM.  If they are not working, then it is probably futile.

BOTH SAID….Once you boil off the water in the electrolyte IN A SEALED AGM, game over….you can’t replenish.

Totally up to how an individual understands and the condition and potential consequences……..of routine equalization.  

IMG_1129.png