Dometic CCC2 (new version) Thermostat Reset. How do you do it?

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

Today I replaced the AC gasket and drain cups. When turning the system on I got a Code E1. I attempted to reset but I think I had instructions for the wrong unit. Now my thermostat only displays zones 1 & 4 but you can only access zone 1. I have 3 Dometic heatpumps. Can someone with a 2008 or 2009 Monaco Dynasty help me out. The manual for the AC's was missing when I purchased the coach.

Do you have a Dometic 5 button comfort control thermostat?

If so, turn the black slide switch on the bottom off. 

While holding down both top and bottom buttons, slide the black on-off switch on. 

You will see FF in the display.  Then release the two buttons.   

This is generic for all Dometic 5 button comfort control thermostats.  I'm  not aware of anything special for your Kongburg chassis multiplex.  

Good luck

• Solution

First...  The CCM Chassis has NOTHING to do with the HVAC system. This is the SAME system used from the early 2000's

Second...  You did NOT specify which AC you pulled.  That makes it a little tougher to tell you exactly HOW to do what you need to do.

The FIRST step or trial.  Turn OFF the switch (the bottom one) on the Thermostat.  Then Hold in the TOP (mode) and BOTTOM (zone) buttons and the, while depressed, power on.  That should display an FF in the display momentarily....then go away.  Test for all FOUR zones.  Run through the ZONE control. You MAY not recall but the Zone 4 is for the heat in the middle and you will NOT see Zone 2 if you are in the FURNACE mode.  However, if you switch to AC or Heat Pump, then you see Zone 1, 2 and 3...

In Furnace you see zones 1, 3 and 4. ODDS are you were in the Furnace Zone.

Next up...if that did not work, then you have an error or a bad connection in the data cables.  The are the "phone lines".  If you were in the REAR or Bedroom unit and unplugged the cables, you need to go back and do some "replugging".  Look at the print.  Zone 3 Read AC has an incoming thermostat line....look at the Thermostat...see the Phone LINE solid line. 

In the REAR unit there is an INCOMING cable or phone line from Zone 4.  The Roof Top (on a 15 K unit) has TWO cables "dangling down" and into the plenum. On your REAR AC, there is only ONE incoming data cable and NOT an outgoing cable. Either of the Roof Top cables can be plugged into that incoming data cable. If you did not label or got peroccupied...and then connected the TWO dangling or control cables from the roof top, you have LOST that zone.  

Bottom line...identify the cables from the TOP.  Then plug EITHER one into the remaining third cable. Make sure that you plug securely. You might use a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean the contacts on the male and inside the female. These connection are notorious for NOT being POSITIVE. I actually carry spare female (the Dual Inline) connectors and if one would fail, I would just replace all of the ones in use. You should have TWO in the front AC and then TWO in the middle AC and then, TWO in zone 4. Unfortunately, that controller is hidden under or behind a panel and it is a PITA to find....but it is THERE.  There are TWO there....and then only ONE in the rear...as it is the END of the line

That's it; you should have done a System Reset after you pulled the unit. ANYTIME you ever unplug a phone line....the whole system goes down or loses its Multiplexed data buss. You HAVE to reset to get it to work.

BTW...most folks would tell you to STOP using the lower switch. These thermostats are obsolete and not longer in production and you can't find a new one. The preferred method is to leave the switch ON.  Then use the zone button and the turn off each zone via the MODE....go to OFF.

This should fix it...

AquaHot Schematic - 2009 Dynasty and up...probably 2008 also.pdf

• Like 1

Tom Cherry,

thank you for your response. I pulled the front AC but did not disconnect any wires. I turned the AC on it's side and had a helper to hold it there while I worked. After re-installing I got a Code E1 at the thermostat. By the way I think my thermostat has been changed. Mine does not have a on off switch at the bottom. It has a power button. It is a Dometic thermostat. I looked up the Code E1 and it said the probable cause is a connection not making contact . I'm going to check the connections from under neath. It is possible I might have put strain on one of the cables. 

I tried doing the reset as you instructed and I get init at the top of the screen. Also in the display I only see zones 1 and 4.

Jim J,

I did not disconnect any wires. I turned the unit on it's side and had someone hold it there.

Silly question on replacing the gasket. 

When I did it the old gasket was stuck to the bottom of old AC, as mentioned before I had 2 layers.  The wires were routed through the gasket into the bottom of the AC.  I did not see any way of replacing the gaskets without removing the wires unless you cut the gasket, which I guess is OK if you put a good sealer between the cut. 

Either way, it you turned the unit on it side while replacing gaskets I'd suggest looking at the communication wire to make sure they are seated the union the connects them.   You should be able to do this from the inside

38 minutes ago, JTerry said:

Tom Cherry,

attached is a photo of my thermostat.

IMG_1532 (2).jpg

OK…you have the advanced thermostat….so, your units are the Penguin II or Dometic calls it the CCC2 system.  However, all my comments, except how to reset are the same.  The wiring and cable connections are all the same.

NOW, you said….no disconnects.  Doesn’t matter.  These cables or phone connections are delicate.  Somewhere you or a previous owner has replaced the OEM Penguins and you have the Penguin II CCC2 system.  

If the installers used the old or OEM dual inline connectors….shame on them.  90% of the HVAC problems we see here is in the connections between the male phone terminals and the female terminals inside the connectors.  In some cases, the male ones get damaged or the contacts get dirty or corroded…a small percentage of folks have had to use a “phone crimping” tool and replace the males.

I have told at least 75 to 100 members in the past to clean and replace or reseat a few times all the connections….and that has been successful…

https://www.forestriverinc.com/brochures/0000/0000ThermostatDualDometicManual.pdf

you can google dometic CCC2 thermostat reset procedure…..here is a link.   Go to the last page….that tells you.

You really should download the install manuals for the Penguin II as well as the Thermostat.

There is an error code list,  Jim just posted the same comment and logic.  Odds are….unplugging the phone cables and cleaning with alcohol and a Q-tip and then seating and unseating will fix it.

if you STILL get the E1….google Dometic CCC2 Thermostat E1 Error or add code….then read….

Good Luck…

Tom Cherry,

Thank you so much for your help. 

I did the reset as per the latest instructions for Penquin ll and still nothing happens. I think I'll have to go back and address the first E1 error code and see if I can track down the problem.

Thanks again

You can access the RJ11 phone cord cables and junctions from inside the coach.  Lower the ceiling covers just like you are cleaning the A/C filters.  Also clean the cable ends where they plug into the back of the thermostat.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the help in resolving my problem. As it turns out, the problem was with one of the connections under the AC inside the coach. I cleaned the connectors with WD40 and that solved the problem. 

I do have another question trying to understand and learn my hvac system. If I choose furnace at the thermostat, what is actually creating the heat? Is it the 110 volt Aqua Hot that heats the hot water? Or does it ignite the Aqua Hot and use diesel? I don't quite understand exactly how it works. 

Thanks again everyone especially Tom Cherry.

2 minutes ago, JTerry said:

I do have another question trying to understand and learn my hvac system. If I choose furnace at the thermostat, what is actually creating the heat? Is it the 110 volt Aqua Hot that heats the hot water? Or does it ignite the Aqua Hot and use diesel? I don't quite understand exactly how it works. 

Either, or both of those would need to be turned on at your Aqua Hot control panel.

32 minutes ago, JTerry said:

Thanks everyone for the help in resolving my problem. As it turns out, the problem was with one of the connections under the AC inside the coach. I cleaned the connectors with WD40 and that solved the problem. 

Thanks again everyone especially Tom Cherry.

You're welcome.  First...

Read your manual.  There is a section in it with the thermostat....nevermind that you have the NEWER CCC2....it works the same way. That tells you WHAT Modes (AC, HP, Furnace) are set to work with WHICH zones.  

For example the Zone 4 is ONLY for heat in the center section...  In the front (Zone 1 ) and rear (Zone 3), you can control more.

Next.  Furnace is Aquahot.  It will run only a SHORT time with the Electric ONLY.  For HEAT (as in heat up this place), you need to be in FURNACE and you need the Diesel on.,..

Glad you fixed it.  I am now at 91% as to a LOOSE phone cable connection is something that drives folks bonkers....  LOL

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Dometic CCC2 (new version) Thermostat Reset. How do you do it?