Starting my coach

Yes, but why start it? Do northern farmers start their tractors during the winter??? Combines probably sit for 8+ months without being started… only in the MH world do some start every month.

• Like 2

I can start mine with slide out and jacks down. Jacks will retract with ignition on. Slide will not go in or out while ignition is on. Mine is a 99 diplomat. 

1 hour ago, whaley96raw said:

I have a 2006 Monaco Cayman. I am a relative newbie.

If I am parked with the slide outs out, and the stabilizers down, should I be able to start the Cummins and let it warm up?

Mine has been sitting since Nov as it does every year and I won't be starting it for at least another month.

• Like 1

Yes, you must start it to raise it to Travel Mode BEFORE you retract the slides.  Some hydraulic Jacks retract when the ignition switch is turned on, most don't.  I've found that some that did were not supposed to, and the culprit was the Nasson Switch under the Park Brake which would inadvertently signal that the parking brake was no longer engaged, and the jack would raise.  

-Rick N.

Casa Grande, AZ

3 minutes ago, Craggar said:

Mine has been sitting since Nov as it does every year and I won't be starting it for at least another month.

Thanks to all who replied. I am in Mexico and will be starting back to Maine soon. 
By starting it up now I wanted to avoid any possible surprise if it wouldn’t start when we go to leave, but I didn’t want to have to move everything inside to pull in the slides if it wasn’t necessary.

• Like 1

Bottom line, sort of repeating the folks that provided information.  There is a IGNITION slide lock interface or relay that prevents the slides to move if the  ignition switch is on.  

So, you have to get the slides in to start the engine for travel. There are, I THINK, some later Dynasty (circa 2007 and up), where you CAN retract the slides with the engine running. That is programmed into the logic or program of the Intellitec CPU Multiplex system (MPX). You can NOT extend the slides with the engine running for the obvious reasons.

@whaley96raw , Your rig does not have that system and is “simple” and Monaco used an ignition lock out relay to disable the control voltage or signal from the switches to operate the slide mechanism.

10 hours ago, Frank Bergamo said:

My 07’ Marquis will retract the slides with engine running. This allows me to get to full ride height, then retract the slides without shutting down engine. 

As does my '06 Dynasty...nice feature.  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twomed said:

As does my '06 Dynasty...nice feature.  🙂

This is a feature or function of the Intellitec MPX system. The older Dynasty & up...including the Patriot Thunders did not have the MPX...they were the same as the Cheetah in the OP. Just a simple Lock Out relay...with no provisions for "Engine Running Retraction".

Yes great feature...

12 hours ago, Frank Bergamo said:

My 07’ Marquis will retract the slides with engine running. This allows me to get to full ride height, then retract the slides without shutting down engine. 

That's an ideal setup!

Unfortunately, I have to shut the engine back down.

Timely topic!  Had a transmission issue that was repaired by Allison in Fort Myers 2 weeks ago.  Decided to test the repair by starting the coach and putting it in gear while the slides were out and with the jacks down (I think). ..did engage  the foot brake.  Engine started but wouldn't go into gear.  Called Allison (I panicked!) and by the time they arrived I had raised the jacks, brought in the 2 hydraulic slides and voila...went into gear.  Would like confirmation that the 2019/2020 vintage Neptunes do operate in this manner.   Owners manual states "Do not move the motorhome while jacks are still in contact with the ground or extended" so a little conflict between the manual and actual operational experience.  I'm on my second been HR coach over 24 years, owned this 2010 since new and continue to run into "things" that I need to learn about! 

10 minutes ago, lake49068 said:

Timely topic!  Had a transmission issue that was repaired by Allison in Fort Myers 2 weeks ago.  Decided to test the repair by starting the coach and putting it in gear while the slides were out and with the jacks down (I think). ..did engage  the foot brake.  Engine started but wouldn't go into gear.  Called Allison (I panicked!) and by the time they arrived I had raised the jacks, brought in the 2 hydraulic slides and voila...went into gear.  Would like confirmation that the 2019/2020 vintage Neptunes do operate in this manner.   Owners manual states "Do not move the motorhome while jacks are still in contact with the ground or extended" so a little conflict between the manual and actual operational experience.  I'm on my second been HR coach over 24 years, owned this 2010 since new and continue to run into "things" that I need to learn about! 

OFF HAND, I think there is two different conditions.  I suspect there are two circuits and you need to look at the prints. The slides are NOT supposed to move when the engine is running.  Now, check that.  Engine on Ignition ON slide lock out relay disables the controls to the slide.  Test to verify.

Next…slides IN…jacks Down and extended.  You should NOT be able to start the engine.  Test that.  I don’t know if there is a “fully retracted switch” or signal in the circuit…but from you posted, it would be logical, to raise and fully retract the slides.  If that is the case….then all is well.  It may be partially retracted…I don’t know…

I think things are OK…

Slides do not move when engine is running/key on, all fine.  Always have been able to start the engine with jacks down and slides deployed...assume that's so you can build up air before retracting the jacks (and makes it easier to disconnect water, sewer and electric line).  Plus we have always been told that an HR/Monaco of this generation is supposed to be "aired up" before extending/retracting the slides.  All fine there.  Question was whether you can engage either "R" or "D" with jacks down.  See my quote from the manual...don't move the coach while jacks in contact with ground...that's my question/inquiry.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 3:57 PM, Tom Cherry said:

Bottom line, sort of repeating the folks that provided information.  There is a IGNITION slide lock interface or relay that prevents the slides to move if the  ignition switch is on.  

So, you have to get the slides in to start the engine for travel. There are, I THINK, some later Dynasty (circa 2007 and up), where you CAN retract the slides with the engine running. That is programmed into the logic or program of the Intellitec CPU Multiplex system (MPX). You can NOT extend the slides with the engine running for the obvious reasons.

@whaley96raw , Your rig does not have that system and is “simple” and Monaco used an ignition lock out relay to disable the control voltage or signal from the switches to operate the slide mechanism.

Tom, you do not have to "get the slides in to start the engine".  As I mentioned above, you can and must start the engine with the slides out, to air up to coach BEFORE moving the slides.  Let not get in the weeds as to interlocks and such, or if you can drive the coach with the slides out.  As a last resort, he should RTFM, which clearly describes who the extend and retract the slides on pages 127 - 129.

-Rick N.

Casa Grande, AZ

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

OFF HAND, I think there is two different conditions.  I suspect there are two circuits and you need to look at the prints. The slides are NOT supposed to move when the engine is running.  Now, check that.  Engine on Ignition ON slide lock out relay disables the controls to the slide.  Test to verify.

Next…slides IN…jacks Down and extended.  You should NOT be able to start the engine.  Test that.  I don’t know if there is a “fully retracted switch” or signal in the circuit…but from you posted, it would be logical, to raise and fully retract the slides.  If that is the case….then all is well.  It may be partially retracted…I don’t know…

I think things are OK…

All coaches I have owned or worked on with the RVA Jacks can be started with the Jack Down.  I do it all the time at my house, to air up the coach to extend the slide, or to air up the coach to retract the slides, and then dump the air and I'm back to level on the jacks.  There is no interlock preventing the coach from being started.  Now, I must admit, I have never tried to drive the coach off with the jacks are down.  There are alarms that I pay attention to, and don't shut off until the jacks are retracted.  When the jacks are down, they are bonging when I start the engine, and the whole time I'm airing up the coach.   just as they should.

I think there may confusion between the OP question of STARTING the coach, versus some people "reading" DRIVING the coach, which I have done for short distances to get a satellite view for my Dish in tree shaded spots.  I don't recommend or advocate driving it, but there is nothing in the Pre-MultiPlex coaches (2005 or older) that prohibits putting it in gear (both forward and reverse) with the slides out.  Now, I don't *think* I can move the slides with the engine running, but I have never tried since the manual says not to.  I have also not jumped out of an airplane to confirm "terminal velocity".

-Rick N.

Casa Grande, AZ

11 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

Tom, you do not have to "get the slides in to start the engine".  As I mentioned above, you can and must start the engine with the slides out, to air up to coach BEFORE moving the slides.  Let not get in the weeds as to interlocks and such, or if you can drive the coach with the slides out.  As a last resort, he should RTFM, which clearly describes who the extend and retract the slides on pages 127 - 129.

-Rick N.

Casa Grande, AZ

That is not what i said, nor meant to say.  The slide position has nothing to do with starting not shifting into gear. Moving the slides is a function of the ignition lock out.  So once he got the slides in and the jacks up, he could shift into gear. I don’t think the slide position, as there is NOT a switch or feed back signal, when they are out or in, was related to the condition.  AKA not being to shift.

the other comment was to the issue of not being able to shift into gear. He said, it think, in a followup that he “COULD” or had been able to shift into gear with the jacks down or maybe I misunderstood.  My comment was that I would have thought that Monaco, from the wording, should  have had a “shift” lockout so that you couldn’t move the MH with the jacks down, more likely they must be fully retracted.  That would be a function of the ECM and the TCM.

Hope this clarifies it.

The leveling system installed on my coach is a Lippert...may have different operating parameters than a 2005 Exec or other models/generations.  I went to the manual cited by Paul and it states:

"Drive-away Protection: When the ignition switch is set to the RUN position with the jacks extended, the JACKS DOWN indicator will light and the warning bell will activate if the transmission is taken out of park or the park brake is released. The system will then automatically retract all jacks until jacks are fully retracted or the park brake is reset and the transmission is placed in Park. A full visual inspection is required to confirm full retraction of jacks before moving motorhome."

My manual does not have this paragraph and I cited what's in mine in my previous post.  Not sure what model/year manual is to be reviewed on pages 127-129...mine covers the water system.  I'll make sure that I don't try to put the coach in gear if any of the slides are out or the jacks down.  That negates the need for a guaranteed response to my original question.  And do agree, the thread did go into the deep weeds!

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

That is not what i said, nor meant to say.  The slide position has nothing to do with starting not shifting into gear. Moving the slides is a function of the ignition lock out.  So once he got the slides in and the jacks up, he could shift into gear. I don’t think the slide position, as there is NOT a switch or feed back signal, when they are out or in, was related to the condition.  AKA not being to shift.

the other comment was to the issue of not being able to shift into gear. He said, it think, in a followup that he “COULD” or had been able to shift into gear with the jacks down or maybe I misunderstood.  My comment was that I would have thought that Monaco, from the wording, should  have had a “shift” lockout so that you couldn’t move the MH with the jacks down, more likely they must be fully retracted.  That would be a function of the ECM and the TCM.

Hope this clarifies it.

Yes it does.  FIY, here is what the OP asked in Post #1 

If I am parked with the slide outs out, and the stabilizers down, should I be able to start the Cummins and let it warm up?

He didn't asks about moving the slides with the engine running, or driving with the jacks down, only if he should be able to start the engine when parked, with the slide outs out.  I think we should be careful not to confuse the issue, especially with inexperienced (based upon his original question) with information overload.

-Rick N.

48 minutes ago, lake49068 said:

The leveling system installed on my coach is a Lippert...may have different operating parameters than a 2005 Exec or other models/generations.  I went to the manual cited by Paul and it states:

"Drive-away Protection: When the ignition switch is set to the RUN position with the jacks extended, the JACKS DOWN indicator will light and the warning bell will activate if the transmission is taken out of park or the park brake is released. The system will then automatically retract all jacks until jacks are fully retracted or the park brake is reset and the transmission is placed in Park. A full visual inspection is required to confirm full retraction of jacks before moving motorhome."

My manual does not have this paragraph and I cited what's in mine in my previous post.  Not sure what model/year manual is to be reviewed on pages 127-129...mine covers the water system.  I'll make sure that I don't try to put the coach in gear if any of the slides are out or the jacks down.  That negates the need for a guaranteed response to my original question.  And do agree, the thread did go into the deep weeds!

That information pertains to Richard W,  and his 2006, Monaco Cayman.  He is the one who originally started this thread.  I was not responding to your questions which may have been different.  This is the problem when people post different questions or have different year/model coaches from that which is the original poster (OP),  To ensure this doesn't happen, and cause potential confusion to all readers, you should start a new posting with your specific info (question, year, model of coach).  This will also enable future searches for the problem/concern you have, which won't show up when interjected into a post of of a different problem/concern/year/model.