Hydraulic slides and Generator slide not working. 2001 Signature.

the hydraulic  slide out and the generator slide would not work when we got home from a trip yesterday.  it sounded like no power to the motor.  this morning they will work.  i noticed a leak under the front of the coach on the trip.  would the motor not work if the fluid level went to low?  i am gonna crawl under and check the fluid this morning.  i am looking for a mobile repairman to fix the leak  first.  

Our 2000 hydraulic pump would run without fluid and is powered by chassis batteries off the same post in FRB as the generator starter. If the generator turns over, the pump should have power to its solenoid as well. Baggage door switches under slide could prevent it from working too.

• Like 1

I've had the same problem a couple of times.  If none of the hydraulic slides work (intermittently) its likely a bad hydraulic pump ground, or a sticky Nason switch.  The Nason switch won't allow the pump to run unless the park brake is on.  As Ivan says the pump doesn't know if it has any fluid to pump.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 10:05 AM, Ivan K said:

Our 2000 hydraulic pump would run without fluid and is powered by chassis batteries off the same post in FRB as the generator starter. If the generator turns over, the pump should have power to its solenoid as well. Baggage door switches under slide could prevent it from working too.

Pull the prints.  Memory tells me that there are two separate circuits to operate the pump.  The “slide system” has one set of controls.  The Grnerator slide has another set of controls.  Thus is ONE circuit works and the other doesn’t, it is in the control circuit of the non functioning system.  The door switches are the first place to check.  The pump solenoid would,have come on even if the reservoir was dry. I do NOT think (99% confidence) that there was ever a “reservoir float switch” for fluid…

EDIT….since BOTH did not work, look at the print on the system.  There are two control circuits.  I THINK that the “door switches” are NOT on the Generator side.  That means that the Nasan or parking break switch, which, I recall, is common to both, is the likely candidate…..Electronic Gremlin….just have to keep isolating and troubleshooting.

• Like 1

There is also a relay switch mounted on the pump motor itself. It will work intermittently then quit all together. It will have a band clamp going around the motor. These are used on dump trailers if you need to source one. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Hydraulic slides and Generator slide not working. 2001 Signature.

I missed the observation that generator slide does not work either. Looking at HWH diagram, the only lockout for generator should be the park brake switch. Ours does not even use that however.

Edited by Ivan K
  • Like 1

The last time my hydraulic slides all failed I assumed that I had a bad ground.  I ruled that out.  Then had my wife push the slide button and determined that I was getting a signal at the pump solenoid/relay switch.  I shorted the solenoid while she pushed the button and got the slide in.  Assuming that I had a failed solenoid, I replaced that.  Still didn't work.  When I grounded the terminal attached to the Nason(park brake) switch it worked flawlessly.  I replaced the Nason switch and haven't had any problems with it since.

• Like 1

OK....Let's get back to basics.  Look at the attached Print.  The Dynasty and UP (Exec) are the same.  Look in the middle FAR RIGHT section of the drawing.

There is the Parking Brake switch. When it is PULLED UP or ON, there are two things that happen. A GROUND signal from the Switch goes to the Red Parking Brake Light (Dash) switch.  The OTHER side of that light has PLUS 12 VDC. 

That GROUND also goes directly to the pump Solenoid GROUND. That is a BLUE Wire. The Solenoid HAS to be GROUNDED to work.  SO...  This is COMMON FOR BOTH the House Slides and the Generator Slides.  SO....that Nasan Parking Brake SWITCH's GROUND is necessary.  If you GROUND out the BLUE WIre and the Slides WORK....BINGO....the Parking Brake Switch is the CULPRIT.

OK....Follow along.  Look at the House Slide Switch in the lower LEFT CORNER.  The Slide LOCKOUT RELAY provides POWER to the Door Switches....they are DAISY CHAINED....so ALL have to work.  Then when you move the Slide Switch EITHER WAY.... Terminal 5 on the switch makes contact with either Terminal 4 or 6.  They ARE JUMPERED....so you get 12 VDC to the Solenoid.  THAT is what Energizes the SOLENOID...  BUT...Follow that wire.  It is a #16 GRAY wire.  It GOES to a Terminal on the Solenoid.  There are TWO wires here.  THEY are the RETURN POWER to both the Genny Slide Switch and the House Slide Switch....If you trace the OTHER wire back....it goes to the Generator Slide Switch.

SO...here is what happens.  EITHER of the TWO systems will send 12 VDC to the Solenoid.  THIS ENERGIZES the Solenoid.  This STARTS the PUMP.  How the PUMP SAYS...  OK....WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Look at the Solenoid.  Power is coming in, I THINK, on the LEFT Terminal (2 Gag to FRT RUN BAY).  When the Solenoid is energized....the Pump Motor Circuit sends power to the Hydraulic Pump (2 Ga) through the Solenoid....and onto the PUMP MOTOR....MOTOR RUNS.

BUT...If you look Stud on the RIGHT side of the Solenoid, it also has TWO WIRES.  These wires, via fuses go back to the SLIDE SWITCH as WELL AS the GENERATOR SWITCH.  Look at the Slide Switch on the lower LEFT.  Power comes in on Terminal 2...  Then depending on WHICH WAY the Switch is PUSHED....one of the Hydraulic Valves gets POWER.  One SIDE moves it IN and the OTHER SIDE moves it out.  The PUMP Solenoid HAS to be closed and then it also feeds POWER to the Switches.

Likewise, if you are running the Generator Slide....then the Power signal from the Pump Solenoid, via the FUSE goes to the SWITCH.  Then which ever way the switch is pushed...you get Power to the Solenoids in the UPPER LEFT of the PRINT.

SO....BOTH DON'T WORK.  It has to be the GROUND SIDE (Parking Brake Switch. 

One WORKS....and the other doesn't... Then the House Slide Circuit is suspect as it has a relay and FOUR DOORS to go through...  

Genny doesn't work...  Same deal, the Generator DOOR is involved,

This is a "Tricky" circuit....you have to follow the GROUND side and the PLUS 12 VDC side to figure it out.  The Motor Solenoid is also switching CONTROL power....not just HIGH CURRENT to the motor. It the ENERGIZES the Directional Switch and that provides power to the Valves or Solenoids to control the flow and the direction...

Hope this helps.... 

2001dynasty Hydraulic Slide.pdf

Hope I'm not mixing apples and oranges here [apparently I do]

My generator sits in the front on rails and was a PITA to move in and out.  Cleaned up the rails, much better.

The [electric?] slides always seem to grind and bump along.  The rollers look like they are coated with old lubricant as do the gear racks. 

What is;

Best way to clean goop off and then which is the best lubricant to apply to everything?

Thanks one and all for the info

L

Hope you can see the pic enclosed.

The corners of my slides have had some 'fabric' added at some time.  It is now shot.

Anyrecommendations as to corner pieces which can be bought or re-manufactured via something else?

Les

IMG_6261.jpg