Front air tripping breaker

Go to solution Solved by MyronTruex,

2007 HR Vacationer diesel.  M front Air Conditioner is tripping its breaker. Runs for 10 mins & trips.  Checked breaker panel and it has 15 amp breaker.  Rear Air (same size) has a 20 amp breaker.  Wondering if I should try replacing 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp.  Removed A/C cover on roof, found ird nest in there, cleaned evrything out and hosed down.   Didn’t find any wires shorting out that I could see, fan turns fine and can run continuously on fan only.  Any advice would e greatly appreciated.

• Solution

Breakers get tired and wear out so a replacement is in order. Not knowing the size of your AC unit, going to a 20 amp might not be a great idea but 15 amps seems borderline for sure. 

Did you take the cover off the air condenser. Probably not the right name but the radiator thing that has the air blow through to cool it. They are a bit of a pain to clean but they can get really dirty. 

As a temporary test after cleaning, if it still pops the breaker. You may be able to swap the breakers in question. Staying right there to see if the AC runs ok on the 20 amp. 

4 hours ago, MyronTruex said:

Breakers get tired and wear out so a replacement is in order. Not knowing the size of your AC unit, going to a 20 amp might not be a great idea but 15 amps seems borderline for sure. 

Did you take the cover off the air condenser. Probably not the right name but the radiator thing that has the air blow through to cool it. They are a bit of a pain to clean but they can get really dirty. 

As a temporary test after cleaning, if it still pops the breaker. You may be able to swap the breakers in question. Staying right there to see if the AC runs ok on the 20 amp. 

I agree!

All of mine have 20A breakers.

16 hours ago, top flight said:

2007 HR Vacationer diesel.  M front Air Conditioner is tripping its breaker. Runs for 10 mins & trips.  Checked breaker panel and it has 15 amp breaker.  Rear Air (same size) has a 20 amp breaker.  Wondering if I should try replacing 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp.  Removed A/C cover on roof, found ird nest in there, cleaned evrything out and hosed down.   Didn’t find any wires shorting out that I could see, fan turns fine and can run continuously on fan only.  Any advice would e greatly appreciated.

Simple....  Look at the wiring size on the Romex that goes to the Front AC breaker.  If it is #12, then pop in a 20 Amp breaker.  If it is #14....NOPE...  You can also do this by looking in the Junction box in the plenum where the AC is wire nutted in. IF it IS #14....then put in a NEW 15 Amp breaker.  

On page 138 of your manual, the diagram shows a 20 Amp breaker for the front.  Same as the Rear.  The Sales Brochure also shows the SAME 13.5 K units FRONT and REAR....so 20 A would be what I would have thought was correct. As long as you have #12....you are good to go with a 20 Amp breaker.

I do NOT WANT to make a blanket statement....but I do not recall...but memory is not 100%, ever seeing a 15 Amp breaker on a Print for an AC unit...

Here is a generic print for the 2007's  The Vacationer Diesel used, I think, the same wiring as the lower end Diplomats & Endeavors and such....

38040005 (DIAGRAM, 120V AC).pdf

Agree on breaker size as long as you have a 12 awg wire, which you should be able to see when you take front of panel off. 

Assume you have a EMS system.  If you are plugged into a 30 amp circuit the EMS load display will show amps.  When I was having trouble with my front AC kicking the breaker I monitored the load meter while I started the AC up and noticed a pretty high spike in amps and even when it was started and running noticed it was pulling high amps.  So I went on the roof and pulled the cover off the AC and inspected.  When I tried to turn the motor shaft it was nearly impossible to turn by hand, it was essentially seized up.  So I ordered a new one and replaced, that solved the problem. 

So if you are on the roof and have the AC cover off check the motor. 

Without a Soft Start, the current required to start the AC motor approaches 34-35 Amps., then settles down in the 11-14 Amp range.

Most breakers can handle this brief surge, but aging components can cause a trip.

With a soft start kit or option installed the current to start is more in the 18-20 Amp range. with a longer spike but still within the capabilities of a breaker to handle without tripping.

Because the running current is 11-14 Amps, a qualified engineer would specify 12 gauge wire for this application.  I am certain you will find 12 gauge in your coach.

On 3/18/2024 at 12:42 PM, top flight said:

I've never seen a 15 amp breaker on a RV roof air. That said, the easiest way to test the breaker is to simply swap the black air conditioner wires in the breaker panel. Move the front air conditioner to the 20 amp rear, and the rear to the 15 amp front. If that solves the problem, problem solved. You need a new breaker.