Get steps to stay in w/ door open

Go to solution Solved by Frank McElroy,

We had a very generous neighbor offer us a set of pressure-treated wooden stairs to use at the entry of our 06 Dynasty. I was under the impression that when we flip the “Step” switch on the passenger console that the steps would stay retracted when the door was opened. Am I incorrect in my assumption?

Thanks

56 minutes ago, timaz996 said:

That switch will keep the steps out when you shut the door. (So the steps don't go in and out every time you open the door)

Gotcha - I knew that happened, but I was thinking there was a way to override & keep the steps closed when the door is opened. Maybe I dreamt that!

17 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I've got a fuse in my front drivers side electrical bay for the step switch.  If you have one you might try pulling it and see if that works for you. 

Bingo - thank you! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

This is how your Dynasty should work:

With the entry door closed and the steps retracted, turn OFF the step switch.  This should keep the steps in when the door is open or closed.  However, if the engine ignition is turned ON and the door is opened, it will override the step OFF switch setting and extend the steps.

If you have the door open with the steps extended and you turn the step switch OFF, the steps will stay extended when the door open or closed.

• Thanks 1

That logic is also used, almost 99% on all the steps.  FWIW.  I always keep mine extended.....until I turn on the ignition and they retract. Others prefer that the open and close every time the door is opened or closed...which I think causes premature failure as the motor only has so many "cycles"....

In that mode....when the door is opened....assuming ignition OFF, they extend....stay extended....and only cycle with the ignition switch.

That's the logic....

@Frank McElroy Thanks for your feedback! However, is it possible my Dynasty may be one of those snowflakes? When I turn OFF the step switch the only thing it does is keep the step extended when the coach isn’t running. It will not keep the step retracted. I experimented w/ it both ways.

My solution was to unplug the motor w/ the steps retracted. Then when we got ready to head north I reached under & plugged the steps back in.

And @Tom Cherry, we employ your procedure of keeping the steps extended when we’re parked & don’t have the constructed steps.

Thanks again!

• Thanks 1