AT&T Mobley Help

I have been working on setting up a method so I can have more than 5 devices using the data stream coming from my Mobley device. I purchased a Netgear EX 3700 Extender which can be setup as an extension or an access point. I have set it up as the Mobley Extension but it appears that I still can't have more than 5 devices attached. What am I doing wrong?

I want to connect two Samsung phones, one Samsung Tablet, two Roku devices and two laptops plus our Amazon Alexa.

I remember that some people have attached a router to the Mobley using the micro USB port on the side but I have no idea how to do that. Shouldn't the Netgear Extender do the same function?

Help Please!

Edited by Dr4Film

Extender is just that, a repeater to get you further out. What you need is a router with USB modem connection. I use an Asus Cellspot router in the shop that also shoots it towards a repeater in the house.  While on the road, it is repeated byNanoStation antenna and router setup in the RV, without actual cable connection to mobley.

On second thought, I don't know your netgear but maybe setting it up as access point will do what you want.

Edited by Ivan K

I read up on using the Netgear as a access point but it requires a wired connection using the Ethernet port on the extender. So that will not work with a Mobley.

May I ask what the model number is of the ASUS router that you are using with the Mobley?

Richard, it's been a few years since I set mine up, but I'll try and help.  First, you can't use an extender to do what you want.  An extender extends the range (distance) but still uses the original device (in this case the Mobley) to "serve" (provide) each IP address.  It is limited to issuing 5 IP addresses.  You need to basically set up a new "network" with a router which will serve the IP address (using DHCP) and get it's IP address from the Mobley.  Therefore the Mobley only has one device (the router) connected (as far as it knows).  The router than provides all the needed IP address to whatever you want to connect to the internet.  The best way to do this is to use the USB port on the Mobley to provide the IP address (internet connection) to the router.  It can be done by WiFi, but is often slower.  In order for this to work, the router need to have a Cell Modem USB connection and software.  Many do.  One of the popular ones is WiFiRanger.  My current coach has that system, and it works great.  But it is kinda expensive, but it does provide good user interface.  On my previous coach I used a ASUS TM-AC1900 router. What you end up with is similar to a home network, but instead of the router getting the connection to the internet from the Cable company or the Telephone company, it gets it from the Mobley.  Here is a website that I used to get things working.  If you have more questions, let me know.

Here’s what I use:

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC VPN Router, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07712LKJM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_o4UeFb95R0VY5

Routers with support for USB WAN are fairly common , but not all routers work with the Mobley USB.  I also successfully used the ASUS router mentioned earlier but wanted a compact device to fit in the cabinet easier.

The Mobley is connected by USB and the router is configured to use the Mobley for internet. The Mobley sees only the router as a ‘client’ and is unaware of the downstream devices .

if you’re technically-challenged, you might need help with this setup . The router has multiple modes of operation and dozens of settings.

Using this setup came with two nice surprises:

1-the Mobley became much more stable and I no longer had to reset it every few days

2- I get better throughput using the router -vs- the Mobley’s internal WiFi 

cheers

Walter

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I have placed an order for the current version of the ASUS AC1900 Router from Newegg as they were giving an additional 10% off of the standard price. I will use this to replace my Netgear router that sits in the cabinet above the drivers seat. That router is wired to my Rogue Wave Internet Antenna attached to my Bat Wing antenna. So once I have the ASUS wired up I will have access to my Rogue Wave Internet or my cellular Mobley device. Makes no sense to have two routers taking up more space.

I will also set up the small Netgear EX3700 Extender to extend the ASUS Router signal to the rear of the coach giving a better stronger signal to my rear TV. I am now using two Roku devices to stream TV plus Netflix and Amazon movies, etc.

I think you'll find that you'll have no need for the extender but since you already have it, why not. My Asus router covers 80' shop even with one of the 3 antenna ports hooked to a flat directional antenna on the outside wall, feeding our house and porch area more than 100' away.

3 hours ago, Ivan K said:

I think you'll find that you'll have no need for the extender but since you already have it, why not. My Asus router covers 80' shop even with one of the 3 antenna ports hooked to a flat directional antenna on the outside wall, feeding our house and porch area more than 100' away.

X2. I’ve got a little travel router in the cabinet above driver seat. No problem getting good WiFi all the way in the back, even with no external antennas on the pocket router. 
cheers

Walter

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is connected through USB to an Asus router.

Keep in mind if you want to continue using the extender, the extender needs a good signal too. If you put it at the back of your coach, you haven't gained anything. If your Mobley/Asus setup is at the nose of the coach, your extender would go somewhere in the fridge to bathroom area. I'm an IT professional and set up wireless setups as part of what I do, and in my opinion you won't need an extender in the coach, in fact each time you hop to an extender, you cut your speed in half due to the fact that wifi is half-duplex, so in the end you'll be worse off without it. Where it might be somewhat useful is on the outside of the coach when you want a signal at a significant distance from where you are parked, it may be able to provide a better signal than you would have if you are some distance from the coach.

@waterskier_1, You must have a different Wifi Ranger than I do. Mine is the Wifi Ranger 3, which only resides on the roof of our travel trailer. I have been talking to their support due to very poor performance, and all they have to say is "it probably has a bad board, for $89 we will send you the Wifi Ranger 4". I get better performance using my little, cheap, Hootoo travel router that I used for hotels before all this Covid mess.

1 hour ago, Rob and Amy Harper said:

Mine is connected through USB to an Asus router.

Keep in mind if you want to continue using the extender, the extender needs a good signal too. If you put it at the back of your coach, you haven't gained anything. If your Mobley/Asus setup is at the nose of the coach, your extender would go somewhere in the fridge to bathroom area. I'm an IT professional and set up wireless setups as part of what I do, and in my opinion you won't need an extender in the coach, in fact each time you hop to an extender, you cut your speed in half due to the fact that wifi is half-duplex, so in the end you'll be worse off without it. Where it might be somewhat useful is on the outside of the coach when you want a signal at a significant distance from where you are parked, it may be able to provide a better signal than you would have if you are some distance from the coach.

@waterskier_1, You must have a different Wifi Ranger than I do. Mine is the Wifi Ranger 3, which only resides on the roof of our travel trailer. I have been talking to their support due to very poor performance, and all they have to say is "it probably has a bad board, for $89 we will send you the Wifi Ranger 4". I get better performance using my little, cheap, Hootoo travel router that I used for hotels before all this Covid mess.

Rob, yes mine is different.  I have a WiFi (only) Router on the roof called Sky Pro.  It only is a WiFi Repeater.  There is no Cellphone or other internet connections to it.  This unit interfaces with their WiiFiRanger Core.  This is a WiFi router, LAN Router, and gateway for Internet (I use the Mobley).  I just looked it up on the internet, and it is call obsolete or discontinued.  I think WiFiRanger is trying to get the cell data access business also.  Mine doesn't care (within design parameters - only certain models) which Cell "Hotspot" you use but it has to have USB for full functionality.  Of course you can always point the WiFi portion to the WiFi Hotspot WiFi and distribute that as you would any other WiFi.

Mobley Modifications:

The other thing you can do to a Mobley is add an external antenna - on the roof is best.  It brings in the outside signal into the coach. Inside the Mobley is a small connector we use for FCC testing.  It is normally not used for deployment, but works quite well as an external antenna with the correct adapter.

The modification is not hard:  

1. Open the Mobley case.  Note the location of the internal antenna connection (there are two; only one works - see photo).
  2. Drill a small hole in the Mobley case (in the right spot)
  3. Use an antenna adapter to connect to the internal test (see link and photos below)
  4. Run an external roof antenna cable (through the roof) and connect to the antenna adapter.

You will often increase your cellular signal strength by 10db because of the new antenna, and the location of the new antenna. In addition your Wi-Fi both inside and outside the coach will be significantly improved.

Parts:

(1) Antenna adapter: 

Search the link below.  You'll want the longer 20.4mm MS156 connector paired with the appropriate SMA connector to match your external antenna:

http://www.vcablemart.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=SMA%20to%20MS156%20Male%20Right%20Angle

(2) Cellular, Wi-Fi, and GPS Roof Antenna:

Here's what I have.  It has 4 antennas inside.  Low profile - about the size of a baseball cap.  I mounted it on a painted steel pizza tray and screwed to coach roof for a better ground plane. Has two Cellular antennas (only one is used by Mobley, two Wi-Fi antennas,  and a GPS antenna (re-broadcasts GPS signal inside the coach).

https://5gstore.com/product/4413_5-cable-thru-roof-cellular-gps-wifi-antenna-white.html

There are many other antennas at 5Gstore.com.  They will help you pick one out.  Good support, good prices.

BTW, I have an already modified Mobley if anyone is interested for $100, shipping included. See photos.

- John

2000 Monaco Diplomat (a.k.a The Uberbounder)

Uberbounder - 1.jpg

Mobley (modified for 12V and external antenna) - 1.jpg

Mobley (modified for 12V and external antenna) - 2.jpg

Mobley (modified for 12V and external antenna) - 3.jpg

Mobley (modified for 12V and external antenna) - 4.jpg

Mobley (modified for 12V and external antenna) - 5.jpg

Mobley (modified for 12V and external antenna) - 6.jpg

Mobley (modified for 12V and external antenna) - 7.jpg

Mobley (modified for 12V and external antenna) - 8.jpg

Mobley (modified for 12V and external antenna) - 9.jpg

Mobley Antenna Port location.jpg

• Thanks 1