Dometic Penguin ii replacement ac/hp

I replaced my front unit with the Recpro Houghton. I have ran it for 1 summer and 1 winter. It is much quieter than a penguin and the heat pump works down into the 28 degree range. Very easy to install also.

• Like 1

There was a recent post that showed good prices from Walmart but not sure if it was a heat pump. 

I replaced both both my units in 2021, both two from PPL for $2700 including tax and shipping.  I just checked and most of the models are out of stock.  It would cost ~$4K at current prices.

Good luck

I think your best options are Penguin II or Blizzard NXT. 

They were in short supply after Covid but should be readily available now.  I bought a new Blizzard NXT a few months ago on Amazon.

You will also need to update the thermostat. 

I bought 2 last September from Rackupgo and also bought a new thermostat and two soft starts. But once cry once. These guys had them in stock and were cheaper than Amazon at the time.IMG_0587.thumb.png.57194df3154f87b0b5f704795cf13bbb.png

14 hours ago, 63Hotrod said:

At some point soon we will have to replace our 08 units. New versions of the same model are pricey and hard to locate

So looking for options and suggestions 

Never used the head pump at all so can we replace without it.

What is multi zone ?

I got mine from camping world. Good price and quick delivery. FedEx boogered up the box on one of them and broke the shroud. CW sent me a replacement before they sent an RMA to return the damaged one. Great service from a frequently maligned company. 

6 hours ago, 63Hotrod said:

Never used the head pump at all so can we replace without it.

What is multi zone ?

The entire Dometic (was Duo Therm) control system is a Multiplexed system.  There is a two Pair (2 wires per pair) data cable.  Looks like a phone cable that runs from a Thermostat to an HVAC unit.  The HVAC has 120 VAC for the compressor and motor.  There is 12 VDC to power the Thermostat…from the 12 VDC in the control module.  One pair of the data cable has 12 VDC. The other pair of cables carries the “Multiplexed Data signal”.  There is no hard wiring or a multi wire (like a home thermostat).  Just two itty bitty wires from the thermostat that gets a signal from the thermostat and sends instructions to the first HVAC unit.  If there are additional units down stream, then one thermostat controls all of them..….as in Zone 1, Zone 2 or additional zones…. You just keep the data cabe going from one HVAC (Control Module) to the nest.

That is why one can NOT install a typical RV unit that requires a multi Wire thermostat cable….5 to 7 wires….and they have to be at lease 18 gauge.  The data cable is probably 24 Gauyge and you only need one pair of wires…

3 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Multizone is how the AC's are wired with an AC usually representing one zone.  I have two AC so 2 zones, in my case the bedroom is zone 1 and the LR is zone 2.  My furnace shows up under Zone 2.  

My Dynasty doesn’t  have two zones, the ACs operate independently of each other and the furnace is controlled by the front AC t-stat. Made it real simple to change out the ACs. 

On 4/17/2024 at 7:29 PM, klcdenver said:

I replaced my front unit with the Recpro Houghton. I have ran it for 1 summer and 1 winter. It is much quieter than a penguin and the heat pump works down into the 28 degree range. Very easy to install also.

Was the Recpros an easy conversion from the Penguins?  Any fitment issues during installation? 

How did the thermostat wire up?  Did you upgrade the thermostat or keep the old thermostat and the control modules from the Duo Therm AC units?

The Houghton is a stand alone unit. You only connect the 120v AC electrical to it. It has a remote control like a TV. So I kept my old thermostat to control the furnace. I wrote an article on how to make the furnace to work. It fits the same plenum with out any modifications. It is an easy instillation. If you decide to go that way I can walk you thru it. In the air conditioning threads look at “ Houghton Install/Thermostat Dead”. It has pictures etc… how I did the install to make everything work.

Kenneth

Some time ago we decided to replace 2 13,500btu AC's with new Penguin II units and a new CCC thermostat. Figured after 21 years of use it would be a good investment. My primary concern was the existing 5 button thermostat failing me and leaving us with only one AC unit that was replaced 4 years ago and had the updated CCC thermostat installed. Having all 3 AC units on the CCC 10 button thermostats and upgraded from 13,500 to 15k btu's seemed wise. I purchased Dometic model #‎‎9600003813 Penguin II Low Profile Rooftop Air Conditioner - AC with Heat Pump and Multi-Zone CCC II Control Board - 15k BTU/h Portable White Air Conditioner from Amazon just before the price jumped $245 for $1577.89 each plus tax. I also purchased a new CCC thermostat and had the whole works shipped to Franks RV in Clayton, NC to be installed. I have no desire to save the old 13,500 btu units with heat pumps AC's or the 5 button thermostat and are available. They are Franks to do as he sees fit.  As I recall, some wise man a couple of months ago gave me Franks as the "go to place" to have this work completed. Thanks goes out to Tom Cherry for this.

Edited by Joint Venture