ramps for drive wheels only?

Go to solution Solved by Garry Donohue,

I need to pull the side radiator from my signature because of a leak. Having learned from a prior experience doing this, I'm going to build a couple 2 x 12 ramps to lift the back of the coach to facilitate radiator removal. My question is: do I need to make the ramps long enough support the tag wheels, too, or is it okay to just have the two sets of drive wheels on the ramps? I'm thinking since the tag is sometimes lifted by the chains, it would do no harm to not have them on the ramps. 

• Like 1

• Solution

I made ramps that use 4ea 2X8’s staggered to make a ramp. As a 2” thick piece of wood is actually 1.5” thick, it raises the rear by 6 inches total, which is enough to get under to do work plus it is not enough to cause the tags to be lifted off the ground. 

How about driving onto the ramps, raise the tag, put boards under the tag, and lower the tag.  Thus avoiding the limited space to wedge in a ramp for the tag but still having the tag support some of the weight long term.

Static load on the drive axle won't hurt anything, even if somewhat over the rated load.
That rated load includes a generous allowance for dynamic and shock loads when driving and transmitting torque.  Think about the severe bumps you hit at highway speeds.
Sitting still, it would likely support well over double it's rated load without any damage.
The only concern would be overextending the tag air bags.  Lift the tag and the chains should prevent that.

I just built ramps two days ago to work on ride levelers.   I used 2x10. 5 levels. 5’ 4’ 3’ 2’ 1’.  Worked awesome but I don’t know about the tag sorry I don’t have one.   $90 to make 4 Ramps n they cut the sizes. 

Edited by Gweedo

I made 4 Ramps total. 2 on each drive tires. The tags stay on ground 6 inches below the ramps. 

IMG_5015.jpeg

IMG_5016.jpeg

IMG_5018.jpeg

Place the ramps in front of the drive tires. Take a tape measurement from the lower ramp to the center of the top ramp. That is where the bottom of the tire will end up on the ramp. Then take this measurement up front to the steer tires. Measure from the front of the steer tires forward and place an item on the ground out and away from the tire so you can see the item when you look down out your side window. Give her just a little throttle and roll up and STOP where the bottom of the steer tire is in line with the item you left on the ground. This will cause your rear drive tires to end up exactly in the center of your ramps. 

• Like 2

My parking spot isn't level so I need 3 ramps (one wheel is the "reference") every time I come home.  Fun stuff. 

Don't forget a block of wood to keep from dropping over the edge.

- bob

On 4/27/2024 at 9:21 AM, joefromperry said:

I need to pull the side radiator from my signature because of a leak. Having learned from a prior experience doing this, I'm going to build a couple 2 x 12 ramps to lift the back of the coach to facilitate radiator removal. My question is: do I need to make the ramps long enough support the tag wheels, too, or is it okay to just have the two sets of drive wheels on the ramps? I'm thinking since the tag is sometimes lifted by the chains, it would do no harm to not have them on the ramps. 

UPDATE: As it turns out, I didn't need to make ramps, as I ended up backing the coach to the end of my "built-up" area so the radiator was able to be lowered without them. However, some great suggestions and pictures, which I'll definitely file away for the future. Thanks to all who replied.