Oil Pressure Gauge pegged.

I have a 2005 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ and ISL400. My oil gauge is pegged all the way to the right. I checked ground and voltage (reading 11.89 VDC). Two questions: 1) Where can i buy a new oil pressure gauge. 2) Where is the oil pressure sensor located on the engine ? BTW, My Alidian shows good oil pressure reading.

Thanks,

Dave

• Like 1

After screwing with my gauges for so long I just went with the SCANGAGE. You have the Alidian so you have the same thing. Monaco dazy changed all the grounds on the gauges so it sucks. Every once in a while all of my gauges work correctly, So I figure it's a ground somewhere but have given up on try to find it for now.

I use a Silverleaf to monitor the engine and transmission.  Seldom look at the dash gauges.

Not sure on you engine as to where the oil pressure sending unit is, my guess is the drivers side. 

Monaco installed separate oil pressure and temp sending units.  https://www.jegs.com/i/VDO/918/360-023/10002/-1?srsltid=AfmBOorbCQ5a1tL2oezrFAo6YjqE9YSsDko7Y6pRv3UBr3V2Ch3CAobyYBs

But your best bet is to find yours and get a part number off of it.

• Like 1

If my Alidian is reading the correct oil pressure isn't it getting that info from the sensor ? IE: sensor ok but gauge bad ?

Dave

Your dash gauge usually has its own sender.  It's pretty simple to troubleshoot.
It's likely a bad sender or a short to ground on the sender wire.
Disconnect the sender lead at the sender and see if the gauge falls to zero.  If so, replace the sender.
If the gauge is still pegged, disconnect the sender lead at the gauge and check again.
If it's still pegged the gauge is bad, otherwise you have a short somewhere in the sender lead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

It's likely a bad sender or a short to ground on the sender wire.
Disconnect the sender lead at the sender and see if the gauge falls to zero. 

Just the opposite on my ISC.  The sender (round chamber w 2 wires) loads the circuit (10 ohms at 0 psi).  Disconnect the sender and gauge should peg to the right.  Sounds like a) the wire fell off or b) the sender is bad.

The sender at the starter (ISC) is for low psi only.

- bob

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jdw12345 said:

More than likely your gauge is fine, there’s a sending unit right behind the starter for that gauge, usually it’s the issue.

I pulled the oil pressure gauge and applied 12 V to the S terminal and grounded to other terminal and no change. Doesn't matter where I apply 12V to. Still change, pegged all the way to the right...

I agree with others about using something else to monitor. They are plug and play and can be customized. I use the ScanGaugeD set up for coolant temp, trans temp, boost and oil pressure. You can add another for more options. They can give you mpg, gph and read codes too I believe. Inexpensive.

5 hours ago, cbr046 said:

Just the opposite on my ISC.  The sender (round chamber w 2 wires) loads the circuit (10 ohms at 0 psi).  Disconnect the sender and gauge should peg to the right.  Sounds like a) the wire fell off or b) the sender is bad.

- bob

Interesting.  I'm aware of gauges that work that way, but they're pretty unusual.  Thanks for bringing it up.
The troubleshooting procedure is still similar.

4 hours ago, Dave Shackelford said:

I pulled the oil pressure gauge and applied 12 V to the S terminal and grounded to other terminal and no change. Doesn't matter where I apply 12V to. Still change, pegged all the way to the right...

That definitely sounds like your gauge has failed.
Good luck finding a matching replacement.  Auto-Meter makes good quality gauges, and they offer a variety of styles, one of which may be a reasonable match.

https://www.autometer.com/

15 hours ago, cbr046 said:

- bob

It depends

Cummins had a TSB where they would change out a proportional sender to a low pressure type.  I've heard different reasons/theories for this, one of which they were getting lots of complaints of low oil pressure so the opted to go with a switch type sender.

So if you sender goes out and you try and find a replacement using the Cummins PN the one that will come up is the switch but it include a different wiring harness and require a reprograming of the ECM   If you go this route and monitor your engine it will show 55psi or "0". 

For me I want to see the correct oil pressure

TSB Oil Pressure Switch Installation.pdf

• Like 1