Transmission Dipstick

Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

9 months ago I purchased a used 2005 Dynasty IV.  I just finished the process of doing all the maintenance on the coach.  I had very good shop in my HOA do the work.  I found out that I don't have a transmission dip stick.  Where can I get one?  I know how to use the keypad to review the level. 

Matt Willey

I would guess you can get one from Allison or put in your transmission model number on eBay and maybe someone there has one.

You don't trust the keypad?

I 'may' have a dipstick above the transmission, accessible through a hatch in the bedroom, but, even after changing fluid and filters, I just brought the trans up to temperature, and used the keypad!

The shop that I used, Eagles Pride, knows my tranny serial number and ordered one from Allison.  When it arrived, it was only 2 to 3 feet long.  They believed it was wrong.  I've seen on this forum that not having a dip stick is not unusual.  Is that true?

I live in a 1600 property HOA where every property has an enclosed RV garage or a pad big enough for an RV that's covered or uncovered.

Most of the community uses Eagles Pride to do their work.  

I DO use the keypad.  Do I or don't I need to have a dip stick?

I have a dipstick and never used it to actually check level, so no, you don't need it. Mine only has marks for cold level range to show that it is safe to start after drain and refill but if correct amount of fluid is replaced, no need for it.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I have the same model year coach and engine trany combo. If you want I cane check and see if there’s a part number, the unfortunate part is these things are snowflakes and sometimes things aren’t the same.  What’s your build date on the sticker next to the drivers seat?

I’m assuming you have a MH3000 and a ISL 400…..

Edited by Jdw12345

Wow Jeff.  That's great.  As you can probably tell, I'm new at this.  The coach is still at the shop.  I pick it up tomorrow.

Yes I have MH3000 and an ISL 400

I'd love to bounce another question by you but I don't want to screw up this thread.  How do I do that?

Matt W 05 Monaco Dynasty

Ivan K -

Is it save to run without something over the fill tube?

Matt W 2005 Monaco Dynasty

Just send a message through the messenger in my profile, if that doesn’t work just start a new thread.

I’m going to be busy for the next few days, coach is here at home I’ll see what I can do.

9 minutes ago, willema said:

Wow Jeff.  That's great.  As you can probably tell, I'm new at this.  The coach is still at the shop.  I pick it up tomorrow.

Yes I have MH3000 and an ISL 400

I'd love to bounce another question by you but I don't want to screw up this thread.  How do I do that?

Matt W 05 Monaco Dynasty

Ivan K -

Matt W 2005 Monaco Dynasty

If they did the job properly ( both filters and fluid change), they should have removed one quart from a 5 gal pail, and put the rest in the transmission.

Don't bother testing with the keypad when your trans is at 150 -160F, get it up to operating temperature ( mine is 190F), then park on a reasonably level surface, and check it!

• Like 1

I was with the shop mechanic when he was finishing the fluid change.  The coach was up to temp and he and I did the check with the keypad.  The fill was real good.

I'd still like a dipstick.

Matt W

2005 Monaco Dynasty

• Like 1

• Solution
32 minutes ago, willema said:

If you are saying that even the plug is missing, then I would look for an expansion plug of appropriate diameter. If you are going to copy someone's dipstick,  make sure the tube is the same lenght with same tranny model.

https://www.amazon.com/Stant-10150-1-1-Universal-Oil/dp/B003BHG9CM/ref=asc_df_B003BHG9CM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=693555726153&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5658539845749160242&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026894&hvtargid=pla-761835515912&psc=1&mcid=ed58a2794b2b386eb297fe076f0113db&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxeyxBhC7ARIsAC7dS39b86Ra70P1UB7sMxX_ITg6dCuqFeSUzNymB83JGF9OtkQjlj51Rp8aAkryEALw_wcB

• Like 2

FWIW

I have 2 dipsticks.

One is accessible via the bedroom hatch cover. 

The other is at the bottom of the transmission, drivers side.

Last Oct I had my auxillary cooler leak tranny fluid, I had no idea how much but I knew it was low.  So I added one gallon and quickly checked with the dipstick via the bedroom hatch >>>nothing on dipstick with engine at idle.  Added another gallon>>> nothing on dipstick.  Finally added a 3rd gallon and dipstick showed oil level good.  I then took it for a test run ~20 miles down the highway and then checked it via the shift panel>>> OL OK.  Got lucky as it doesn't appear any damage.  Drove another ~2500 miles and then pulled oil sample and it came back good. 

So ya, I can see where having a dipstick isn't a bad thing.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, willema said:

The shop that I used, Eagles Pride, knows my tranny serial number and ordered one from Allison.  When it arrived, it was only 2 to 3 feet long.  They believed it was wrong.  I've seen on this forum that not having a dip stick is not unusual.  Is that true?

The dipstick on top of the tranny (accessible through a hatch inside), WOULD only be about that length!

If they are looking at the fill tube accessible from the engine compartment, that's just a fill tube........ Never came with a dipstick.

37 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

The dipstick on top of the tranny (accessible through a hatch inside), WOULD only be about that length!

If they are looking at the fill tube accessible from the engine compartment, that's just a fill tube........ Never came with a dipstick.

Depends on what year, early 2000's models came with the dipstick, not sure what year they quit using/installing them.  Mine has a dipstick.  Only really used when I was unsure on level.   Also good if you can't get the tranny up to full temp to use the touchpad to check.  You can do a cold check with dipstick and engine at idle to get a close reading. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Depends on what year, early 2000's models came with the dipstick, not sure what year they quit using/installing them.  

True enough!

My fill tube in the engine compartment is side by side with the engine oil dipstick, so, you expect it is a dipstick as well. But it's not!

28 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

True enough!

My fill tube in the engine compartment is side by side with the engine oil dipstick, so, you expect it is a dipstick as well. But it's not!

Mine is the same.  Side by side from engine compartment.  Oil dipstick and only a tranny fill point.  But I also have the stick that is accessed from bedroom floor.

My 2002 Windsor with the ISC-350 has one dipstick accessible from the bedroom hatch. That's where you would also fill any transmission fluid if needed.

My current 2006 Dynasty with the ISL-400-2 came with two accessible points, one under the bed platform and one from the rear engine hatch. I have never removed the one under the bed to see if it is an actual dipstick or just a cover. Whereas the one accessible from the rear engine compartment is just a plug cover without any stick where transmission fluid can be added without having to walk through the entire coach to the bedroom just to add fluid.

Bottom-line, I never needed a transmission dipstick nor would I use one. They are cumbersome to use due to their length and normally inaccurate versus using the digital keypad as recommended by Allison.

Normally, at least once on every trip, after pulling into a freeway rest area, I will choose a space that is fairly level to park in. I then put the coach in N, set the park brake and push the UP and Down Arrows on the Allison keypad. After it goes through its count-down period, it will eventually display the actual level of the transmission fluid. As long as I get the code OL OK, I am good to go.