Paint the roof

@throgmartin is certainly the resident expert on this...

His recommendation for Fiberglass roofs at the Gathering in Feb 2020 is:

Prep with Dicor RP-FCP-1 Clean and Prep

Coat with Dicor RP-FRC-1 Fiberglass RV roof Coating. 

I believe he said a gallon of each should handle the roof of a 40’ coat.  But I’m sure he’ll correct me if I’m wrong. 😂

I can’t speak to metal roofs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I did Rustoleum Deck Over Paint. Two coats. It’s a great product and 4 years later it looks like I just put it on. Prep is key. It is applied with a roller and brush. Thorough cleaning, assuring all chalking/ sealing is in good condition and masking the paint line. I overlapped the old paint line by 1/4” or so to assure the edge was sealed. I now wash my roof once or twice a year with a mild soap and a soft brush. 

I hired a painter who was familiar with using elastomeric paint. He put multiple coats of Tuff-Coat White Rubberized (UT-100SR (Smooth Rubber Fine Textured Coating) on a well prepped roof back in 2014. Still looks the same as the day it was completed after numerous power pressure washings.

https://tuffcoatmarine.com/

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Thanks 1

I just completed painting my metal roof with Henrys TropiCool, from Home Depot first I cut in all the sides, air conditioners, sky light, vents then used a roller, I put two coats total. I watched several you tube videos to convince myself "I can do it!!!"

The reason for doing it myself was due to the amount of $$$ company wanted to do it. it was a lot easier than I thought it would be... If I was to say one thing to make it go easier, have a good ground crew to help.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

I just completed painting my metal roof with Henrys TropiCool, from Home Depot first I cut in all the sides, air conditioners, sky light, vents then used a roller, I put two coats total. I watched several you tube videos to convince myself "I can do it!!!"

The reason for doing it myself was due to the amount of $$$ company wanted to do it. it was a lot easier than I thought it would be... If I was to say one thing to make it go easier, have a good ground crew to help.

So true on the ground crew. 
It seems that whenever I go to do something that's up high or otherwise difficult to access, I end up going back 14 times to grab just one more tool that I forgot to get the first time. LOL

I used the Dicor products on my roof this summer and it turned out great.  The application of the paint is the easy part...  you just roll it on and let it dry for about 3 hours then apply another coat.  timing is key as its not supposed to get wet, even with dew.  The hard part is the prep.  I cleaned the roof, removed old sealants, etc.  then sanded with two different grits of sandpaper, then washed with the special Dicor product.  Taping up the entire coach and enclosing with plastic is important as the Dicor wash will mess with your paint and other surfaces.  I would not say its an easy job at all.  If not for being couped up in the house due to Covid I most likely would have hired it done.  I'm getting a bit to old to be climbing a ladder and working on a slippery roof.  Again, the finished product looks good, but its not a quick or easy job.

20200726_154119[1].jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey Jim Bob i get that, when a local shop wanted $3200. To paint mine (due to EPA restrictions) i decided i would become You tube certified, i used Henrys Tropi cool an the roof came out Amazing, in the pic i dont have the covers back on as for they were drying. I painted the AC covers too after putting tape in place inside to hold them together. I hate to say this but i was glad covid was there to keep me busy, good work Jim😎👍👍👍

B09BD91A-AFDC-45E3-AC3E-E2673BFE40C7.jpeg