Convection Microwave SAMSUNG MC17T8000CS

Mike Wahl

Wondering if anyone has used this model in there coach.  I was planning on replacing with the Sharp, however this one is on a Black Friday sale for $329.00 till 12/2/2020.  That is $170 less than I can find the Sharp on sale for.  

https://www.samsung.com/us/home-appliances/microwaves/over-the-range/1-7cu-ft-over-the-range-microwave-with-convection-and-slim-fry-in-stainless-steel-mc17t8000cs-aa/

Mike

Two important aspects of this Samsung microwave are #1, will it fit the opening and #2 most residential over the stove microwaves have mounts on the top that mount through normally a cabinet above the stove.

Whereas the Sharp mounts to a plate on the back wall with long bolts that are located up through the two screens plus some sheet metal screws through the sides of the microwave into the cabinets on each side.

Have you read the Spec. I’m not Positive  but I think it’s a little deeper and also the height from the top down I think it’s a little bit bigger to.

Weights & Dimensions

• Power/Ratings

120V / 60Hz

Amp Circuit

15 amp

Power Consumption (Microwave)

1700W

Power Cord Length

1000mm

•  

Product Dimensions

29 7/8” x 16 15/16” x 16 19/32"

Product Weight

75.2 lbs

12 minutes ago, Dennis H said:

Cheapest I've seen for that unit is $429. Who has it for $100 less???...Dennis

Looks like a nice unit. I’d like to know that too.

My wife is not happy with the OEM Sharp unit. I’d like to replace, but fear installation will be too difficult. 

I looked at a similar microwave to replace my sharp and after reviewing the mounting requirements to an upper cabinet, I determined that the mounting would not work on mine.  These things are heavy and the rear wall bracket and side screws of the Sharp gave me more confidence that it would not come crashing onto the cabinet while bouncing down the highway.

You might have a solid overhead attachment point, but mine was weak and would not hold a 75 lb object.

Edited by David White
  • Like 1

My wife recently murdered my Sharp 1874 by repeatedly heating up a cloth warming tube she made, that is filled with some type of rice or something! Others that use one of these heating pads, put a cup filled with water in the oven.

She tells me it's worked fine in with the countertop microwaves in the house. Guess she doesn't notice me replacing them about every 8 months 😩!!

2 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

My wife recently murdered my Sharp 1874 by repeatedly heating up a cloth warming tube she made, that is filled with some type of rice or something! Others that use one of these heating pads, put a cup filled with water in the oven.

She tells me it's worked fine in with the countertop microwaves in the house. Guess she doesn't notice me replacing them about every 8 months 😩!!

What did you replace it with and was it difficult to install?

7 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Whereas the Sharp mounts to a plate on the back wall with long bolts that are located up through the two screens plus some sheet metal screws through the sides of the microwave into the cabinets on each side.

• Dr4Film, I went and checked out the mounting instruction for both.  I see what you mean with the mounting to the back wall.  The Samsung has just a mounting strip at the bottom.  The Sharp has a full back wall mounting plate.

image.png.80f26582c36f1689903cf6cb165fff96.pngSharp Mounting

image.png.7c90bb648c9207bd29ff8cacd1d0a1c8.pngSamsung Mounting

• The reviews on the Samsung is not as good as the Sharp.  In the reviews, there were several people that commented they put the Sharp in RV's, none of the reviews for Samsung had reviews for RV's.  
  • The Samsung has more interior room, 1.7 verse 1.1 cu. ft. in the Shrap
  • The Sharp is is smaller, Width: 29.94"  Height: 16.34" Depth: 15.28".  Samsung Wide 29.7/8" Height 15 15/16" and Depth 16 19/32. 

From this info (especially the negative reviews) I going to pass on the Samsung.  Life is to short to save a few dollars and have a issues with something when you need it.  It anyone runs into a good Black Friday-Cyber Monday sale let me know.  I will do the same.

Edited by Mike Wahl

Another thing to consider is the door hinge/swing.  From the picture the Samsung has the hinge at the end.  Make sure there will not be any interference when you try to open the door.  The Sharp has a spacer between the door and the end of the microwave to allow the door to open even if it is next to a wall. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mike Wahl said:

Thanks everyone for you help on this topic.  I have the new Sharp ordered and it should be here in the next week or so. 

I would like a convection oven that is quieter. I wonder if they exist. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 5:16 PM, Pduggs said:

I would like a convection oven that is quieter. I wonder if they exist. 

Paul, here is a quote I lifted from IRV2. Can't confirm whether it's accurate, or not.

I do think the cheaper microwave/convection units they put in every MH we have seen are not as good as a high quality unit such as the GE Cafe or Monogram units - and exponentially quieter!

• Thanks 1

Convection/microwave ovens will always be a bit noisier than a regular microwave simply because of the way they operate. There's an extra fan necessary for cooling and moving the air around inside the convection that microwaves don't need. There are some other subtle differences but that's the most obvious....Dennis

Edited by Dennis H