Hot Water Heater While Driving

rvingstuff

We've a 2006 Sig.

When driving, there appears to be a "water heater other that the Aqua Hot systems we've also got." Where is it? What is it (electrical obviously)? How do I access it? Can I use it when stationary? If yes, how? Where can I find the "On" switch?

Thansk.

Your Aqua Hot can heat water as well as the inside of the coach using heat from the engine while traveling.  

Look at page 128 of your owners manual.

Engine Heat Exchange System:
When traveling, the water pump on the engine circulates heated engine coolant
through the Aqua-Hot. Through convection, heat transfers to the Aqua-Hot
coolant, providing hot water and interior heating. Use the Comfort Control to
operate the heat exchangers.
To Heat the Interior While Traveling:
• Turn on the interior house power.
• Set the Comfort Controls to Furnace.
• Select the desired Zone and Temperature.

Edited by vito.a

vito.a:

Thanks for this info. But I'm unfamiliar with the "Comfort Control." I've owned this coach for about 5 years and still learning!!!!

"Use the Comfort Control to operate the heat exchangers." Is this the "electric heating switch on the AH?" If not, where do I find this?

Edited by rvingstuff

The AH system has two modes, electric and diesel. Neither have anything to do with heating while underway. Each vent supply has it's individual blower which is pushes out the heat. If the electric switch is pushed the AH heats the water and maintains it relatively well allowing washing hands and sometimes dishes depending on how hot you need the water to be. You can even take military showers while it's on electric. Anything more demanding will require the diesel boiler to be fired. This includes long hot showers and running the furnace. While underway, the diesel boiler is bypassed and the AH draws it's heat exchange from the engine heat. In short, if your demand is minimal, electric AH is fine. If your demand is greater, then fire up the boiler which includes the furnace unless you're underway. If you're underway simply turning on the furnace option at the thermostat will allow the AH to do it's magic all by itself. No buttons to push.....Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dennis:

"If you're underway simply turning on the furnace option at the thermostat will allow the AH to do it's magic all by itself. No buttons to push....."  This is specifically where I get confused "...turning on the furnace option at the thermostat." The "thermostat" and the "furnace." So sorry for being soooooooo annul. But is the "thermostat" the AH electrical heater (as opposed to the diesel)? If not, where and what is it? 

OK, I believe that this MUD is FINALLY clearing. So the "furnace" is the heating unit - where the diesel is burnt. And the "thermostat" is where we push the button to change from A/C to Fan or "Heat Pump" or "furnace!!!!" 

So while underway/driving, if I want interior heat for free - no diesel or electricity - I simply turn on the "thermostat" to "furnace" and WALA!!!! We have heat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By golly!!!  I believe he got it!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

By golly I believe you are catching onto the operation of the Aqua-Hot.

Here are a few pennies worth as to how I control the Aqua-Hot switches and the Comfort Control command Center.

Unless my coach is stored under the house for the winter while in Florida, I have both the Aqua-Hot diesel switch AND the electric assist switch on all the time. The electric assist will only activate when hooked to shore power or if the generator is running. Otherwise it is not contributing to the Aqua-Hot system. The diesel is the MAIN source of energy so that is never turned off unless coach is stored. The electric assist is the secondary source of energy which when used can reduce the amount of time and fuel that the diesel uses.

When underway on the road, I always use the driver's mortorade switch commonly called the Engine Pre-Heat switch which helps in circulating the hot engine coolant throughout the Aqua-Hot engine coolant loop inside the Aqua-Hot boiler fluid. When parked if it is really cold outside I will turn that same switch on to warm up the engine before heading back out onto the road. It helps in starting a very cold engine.

The Comfort Control Command center which is now the CCC-2 updated version in my coach only controls the operation of the two rooftop AC's as I have three separate thermostats for the Aqua-Hot system, one in the kitchen/salon area, one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom. But in your coach the CCC controls both the rooftop AC's and the Aqua-Hot "furnace" so you just have to program or select whatever you choose for each Zone.

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2021 at 4:26 AM, Dr4Film said:

.. Unless my coach is stored under the house for the winter while in Florida, I have both the Aqua-Hot diesel switch AND the electric assist switch on all the time. The electric assist will only activate when hooked to shore power or if the generator is running. Otherwise it is not contributing to the Aqua-Hot system. The diesel is the MAIN source of energy ...

... When underway on the road, I always use the driver's mortorade switch commonly called the Engine Pre-Heat switch which helps in circulating the hot engine coolant throughout the Aqua-Hot engine coolant loop inside the Aqua-Hot boiler fluid...

... The Comfort Control Command center which is now the CCC-2 updated version in my coach only controls the operation of the two rooftop AC's ... But in your coach the CCC controls both the rooftop AC's and the Aqua-Hot "furnace" so you just have to program or select whatever you choose for each Zone.

Just comments based on my AH system, which evidently is very different from the above coach system.

I hardly ever turn on the diesel as the electric element keeps up under most circumstances, including our showers, which I would typically classify as a "non Navy" type. The exception might be if it is in the 40's and I head to the shower AFTER I have been using the AH heat in the front zone as it is quieter than the heat pump when watching TV.  Then the diesel is more of a "belt and suspenders" tactic just in case.  If temp in the 30's or lower, then yes, diesel is switched on too.  Or when boondocking.

As for the engine loop pre-heat, I either read or heard at a FMCA seminar, to turn that pump switch off when the engine is running so the two pumps don't fight each other.  When driving, I have always had plenty of AH heat in all three zones (controlled via the two CCC thermostats) via just the engine loop as circulated via the engine's water pump.

If I were ever in the market for a new coach, I'd want a 600D (which I think is today's version closer to my old system) versus a 450 or 400 or hydro hot.

Just offering a different opinion based on a different model.  YMMV

1 hour ago, amphi_sc said:

Just comments based on my AH system, which evidently is very different from the above coach system.

I hardly ever turn on the diesel as the electric element keeps up under most circumstances, including our showers, which I would typically classify as a "non Navy" type. The exception might be if it is in the 40's and I head to the shower AFTER I have been using the AH heat in the front zone as it is quieter than the heat pump when watching TV.  Then the diesel is more of a "belt and suspenders" tactic just in case.  If temp in the 30's or lower, then yes, diesel is switched on too.  Or when boondocking.

As for the engine loop pre-heat, I either read or heard at a FMCA seminar, to turn that pump switch off when the engine is running so the two pumps don't fight each other.  When driving, I have always had plenty of AH heat in all three zones (controlled via the two CCC thermostats) via just the engine loop as circulated via the engine's water pump.

If I were ever in the market for a new coach, I'd want a 600D (which I think is today's version closer to my old system) versus a 450 or 400 or hydro hot.

Just offering a different opinion based on a different model.  YMMV

My aquahot system says the same thing....Not to turn on the eng pre heat switch unless you are trying to preheat the engine

1 hour ago, FuzzyD said:

My aquahot system says the same thing....Not to turn on the eng pre heat switch unless you are trying to preheat the engine

Mine does also but there have been too many times while on the road that when we stop at a rest area to walk around a bit I find that my diesel burner is running but when I have the circulating pump on I don't. Don't know why.

3 hours ago, amphi_sc said:

I agree! The 600D comes with TWO Electric Assist heating elements and can usually keep up with demand unless it is extremely cold outside with extremely cold ground water coming into the coach.

That is interesting .....

My new to me coach will work the heater without running the diesel heater...my instructions say to leave the elect power on, and the diesel switch off.

Drove through some snow from Gallup to kingman in some snow flurries when I picked it up ☆(3 weeks ago lol)...it was cool to run the heater with engine heat.

10 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Mine does also but there have been too many times while on the road that when we stop at a rest area to walk around a bit I find that my diesel burner is running but when I have the circulating pump on I don't. Don't know why.

I agree! The 600D comes with TWO Electric Assist heating elements and can usually keep up with demand unless it is extremely cold outside with extremely cold ground water coming into the coach.

• Scotty Hutto changed the title to Hot Water Heater While Driving