Beeping caution horn

Fred L

I am beside myself. I am looking to see if anyone else has experienced this. I have a 2004 Camelot Cummins with Allison trans. Purchased new. The warning horn comes on when I put it in gear. A little history. It has been doing this for about 4 years then goes off after a while. I had the RV looked at this year just for that, and naturally it worked fine when it was at the shop for service. The tech said it is connected to multiple devices. Low anti-freeze, low trans fluid, etc. Everything was at proper levels, not over heating, plenty of air, fuel is full. Today, in getting it ready for our trip south it was find leaving to get to a open space to set up satellite.  Got back to house and shut it down out on street to move the tow vehicle into position. Went back to back the RV in and the stupid horn was beeping. If I could get to it without taking dash apart I would disconnect it. Last year I left with it beeping and it stopped about a mile away. Doesn’t make it right. Does anyone have a schematic, or what items this is connected to? I guess because of age a sending unit needs replacing.

This is not the warning horn for the leveling jacks.

Thanks

You just might have to dig into the dash and start disconnecting leads one by one until it stops and go from there. These are ground leads and one could just be touching something somewhere without blowing a fuse so even disconnecting all the possible senders may not help.

2 hours ago, Bruce B said:

I had something similar once and it was the Nason switch on the air brake. 

I agree, it's easy to change and readily available.  The buzzers that are under my 04 Holiday Rambler are accessible without and dissembling of he dash,  just reach up under the dash from the left side of the steering wheel  and you will feel them. On my coach the wires were long enough position the buzzer to disconnect the wires when I replaced my buzzer. 

Sure sounds like the nason switch on your park brake control. There are many articles on this, in this and other forums. Not hard to replace switch once you find one. Some are cheap and some expensive for the same part. HR and Monaco both suffered from this poor design in that vintage of rv - too much current through the switch causes the failure.

I have attached an article RE the nason switch. I made the mod described in the article and everything now works as it should. Hope this helps.

-Jamie

nason parking brake switch.pdf

I thank all that have supplied some possible solutions. Reading, I'm willing to say it may be the Nason switch, where ever that is. I cannot get access up (at least not yet) below the dash. My unit has boards I guess screwed or fasten some way. I will get on my back tomorrow and take a look. I hope to leave for the Fl Keys by weeks end and really don't want to go to the service shop again. I do most of the work on this RV. Since I hit 100,000 coming back from the Keys last year I took it in for engine and trans inspection. There was an ABS light that would come on now and then, the tech said it needed adjusting. Engine and trans are in good condition, but was unable to track down the beeping horn. The Nason pdf was very good info. 

BTW   What is the purpose of the Nason switch, and where is located? I'll be using goggle on that.

Thanks again to all   Stay safe

32 minutes ago, Fred L said:

I thank all that have supplied some possible solutions. Reading, I'm willing to say it may be the Nason switch, where ever that is. I cannot get access up (at least not yet) below the dash. My unit has boards I guess screwed or fasten some way. I will get on my back tomorrow and take a look. I hope to leave for the Fl Keys by weeks end and really don't want to go to the service shop again. I do most of the work on this RV. Since I hit 100,000 coming back from the Keys last year I took it in for engine and trans inspection. There was an ABS light that would come on now and then, the tech said it needed adjusting. Engine and trans are in good condition, but was unable to track down the beeping horn. The Nason pdf was very good info. 

BTW   What is the purpose of the Nason switch, and where is located? I'll be using goggle on that.

Thanks again to all   Stay safe

The Nason switch is to warn you that you not to take off unless you release the brakes.  The switch is located one the valve that you set and release the air brakes.

Thanks Jim

I just was able to find that location goggling it.  The coach rolls fine when I release the switch. The horn will drive me batty.

10 hours ago, bklaes said:

My alarm goes off when I drive in the rain.  The hard it rains, the louder the alarm.
I read (probably on here or on irv2) that it is likely an ABS sensor.

That's usually one of the low air pressure switches on the tanks.
The terminals get dirt buildup, and when it gets damp is conducts enough to sound the alarm.
Easiest solution is to clean the terminals and coat them with RTV to keep them clean and dry.

Out of hearing out of mind.   My issue was the warning buzzer for the dash and what ever went along with it.   It started when the coach went in for repair of an antifreeze leak and a slight high pressue fuel leak in the engine compartment, and came back with that buzzer alarm issue.  We unplugged it from behind the radio.  Of course we get the lights on the dash as warnings but no sounds to go along with them.   Took it to my repair shop for internal RV repair, not engine mechanical, and they recommended to take it to Cummings as they was felt the issue was in a module and did not want to charge me for the time to do electrical tracing for all the possible sources.   I have just left it unpluged for the last year as with COVID we have not traveled.  I do not know if the parking brake is tied into that buzzer, I will have to check that out and see if I still have that buzzer on the parking air brake.  If not maybe, it is my issue, and was unplugged with everything else.   Otherwise I wish I had a wiring diagram to see what all is tied into that buzzer and trace the offender down.   The plug is a multi wire plug to the buzzer behind the radio (06' Windsor).    Any thoughts before I tear it apart?

Rich Cutler

06 Windsor

Okay, an update.  I was able to find the switch in the RV. Also found a new switch at a reasonable price. Hope it gets here before I leave. Does anyone know if you loose all air pressure when you remove the switch? Do you have to release the parking brake when doing the change. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as all the comments to date.

Yes, replacing the switch is more difficult to get to than it is to replace, but you do need to drain the air pressure when changing the switch. Keep in mind that the circuit design is the problem and your new switch will be compromised by that same bad circuit design and may fail sooner than later.

Do I need to release the Parking Brake? The RV loses all it's air over several days. It appears that the back loses air first. Not a real problem over night but after a few days it's sitting down in the back. I think I can remove the screws holding the switch and pull the switch up through the cup holder hole. It look's like enough line to come through. Thanks 

I was able to replace the switch. That appears to have fixed the beeping. 2 Days driving with stopping and starting no problems. Did have an issue with the ABS light coming on and off.. Anyone know anything about the ABS?  Thanks' for all the import.