Generator Slide Creeps

While somewhat mechanically inclined, I'm a novice with hydraulic issues so I'm looking for some help. My genset slide creeps out, sometimes over an hour period, sometimes not at all and other times it take several hours before it creeps out an inch or two. I tried running it all the way out, holding the button for 15-20 seconds, then running it back in and doing the same, hoping it was air or debris blocking it. This seemed to help for a day or so and then it started again. I've checked the reservoir under the entry step and it's to the full mark. I've tried to search for some direction and found solutions all the way from rebuilding the pump to having a locking mech installed. So where am I at this point? I know where the reservoir is and know there's several valves there that work for the slides. Does one of them operate the generator slide? If so, which one? Is there a solenoid that controls the valves? I've found nothing in the manual that talks about this and I've scoured my Monaco Box for a manual pertaining to the slides and/or generator but have only found the manual for the generator nothing for the slide mechanism. I am assuming it's a HWH as that is what powers my air leveling system. But, you know what they say about assuming...right? It's not a safety issue, only an irritant that I'd like to correct......any help would be appreciated....Dennis

Dennis, I don't know if Monaco was consistent in hooking up the hydraulic circuits and if anyone can tell you which valve pair is which without looking at the hydraulic hoses routing to the manifold. First thing I would do is to check that all the t-handles are snug in clockwise direction. Assuming it is HWH system as you suspect. You are correct to try to flush debris from the valve seat. And yes, these are solenoid valves and should only open if they get power signal and that could be another thing to check, power when there should not be. After that, its got to be a leaky valve seal, internal cylinder leak or still some air in the lines. You would know if you just had an external fluid leak.

5 hours ago, KevinH said:

I was on a rally last summer. And one of the guys there had that exact same problem he finally gave up drilled a hole in the track and put a hitch pin in. 

Well that sounds a bit of a red neck but effective solution. Inexpensive too.....Dennis

• Thanks 1

He was a very particular guy had a 2009 beaver Marquis 45 foot. In Excellent condition. His story sounded similar to yours he thought he had it fixed a couple times ended up not fixed. I think he said he was a retired caterpillar mechanic. 

I had this problem and I can’t remember which silinoid it was but I opened the 1/4” nuts on the open side and close side of each end of each silinoid and labeled them. As they were released I ran the open close for slides and found what was what one at a time and also as each was closed then the locking worked again. It is the same 1/4” nuts you would loosen if you had to manually close a room slide or gen slide.

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, 96 EVO said:

Na.... redneck would be a couple strips of 200mph tape around the perimeter :classic_rolleyes:!

What would be wrong with that?   Where can I get that tape?    😉

Crawled around and got dirty today. Decided that mess needed cleaning before I played with it too much. There's a single ram that pushes and pulls. I found no fluid anywhere on any of the valves. I made sure all fittings were tight. A couple were not really tight but appeared to be tight enough. Anyway, I cleaned up the reservoir, hoses and fittings then tightened everything up. Zip tied a few wires Monaco had left hanging and washed the generator. Closed everything up and will monitor it for the next few days. As a bonus, I discovered a water leak under one of my compartments. Further investigation revealed my three water filter assembly had come loose from the sidewall and was now leaking. It was simple to fix as long as I bent my arms in the opposite direction than that which our creator deemed appropriate. Changed the filters while I had it apart and it took almost an hour to remount it..just another 10 minute job.....ugh!......Dennis

Dennis, there is only a couple of correct ways to fix your problem;

Method 1. The simple fix is to run you Gen Slide in and out all the way several times and hold the switch pressed for at least 30 seconds when you have it all the way out and again when you have it all the way in. A couple of times will not be enough, cycle it in and out several times. This method has been discussed on this group many times over the past 15 years and it does work most of the time. DO NOT EXCEED THE FIVE MINUTE RUN TIME ON THE MOTOR.

Method 2. Remove the solenoid and clean or replace it. With the solenoid removed you can unscrew the tip with the O'Rings  and clean it out. As Chuck B said in an earlier post Monaco used white Teflon Tape for the lines and the tape would brake off and get stuck in the solenoid valve.

Gain access to the pump assembly and have someone press the switch to retract and extend the slides. The "Extend Solenoids" are installed in the manifold on the pump/reservoir side on the Pump Assembly and the "Retract Solenoids" are installed in the Manifold on the Motor Side opposite of each other. You will be able to identify the solenoids by the click and feel on the solenoid when the switch is pressed. If this fails to fix the problem you will have to replace the Solenoid.

On the HWH hydraulic slide out system the slide out is locked in the "RETRACT POSITION" by pressure in the retract line. The amount of pressure is 3500psi and is the reason HWH suggests to keep the switched pressed for a few additional seconds after extending or retracting. If there is trash in the solenoid valve the pressure can bleed off causing the slide out to creep.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1