Replacing slide lock

I replaced ours as the levers had been cut off at the bottom.  I purchased a new set at Veurinks RV Parts.  

They are expensive!  If you can clean and lube yours to save them, you will save a lot of money.  

This is a link to the post:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/slide-out-lock-help-416803.html

See post #11 for replacement black plastic rivets.  

I should add that I've driven 3000+ miles without operational locks and not had an issue.  

Edited by vito.a

Easy to get a length of cable and a couple swedges locally and replace it. Lube everything well with a Teflon lube while actuating it several times. You can do the other one on the Coach by squirting the lube down from the top and move the actuator at the bottom using an adjustable wrench. 

A swedge is a soft metal fitting that you pass the cable though and then back through again making a loop. Then you collapse it in a vise or in some cases a hammer will do. It basically is a simple clamp. A well supplied hardware store will have it next to the cables. Be sure to get the right size for the specific cable. 

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

I had a problem with a slide lock several years ago, the bottom part bent out and the slide wouldn't close so I had to remove it. I called Erik at Elite Repair in Harrisburg, OR where I had previously had some work done to get his advice. Erik told me to remove it, put it in a bay and the next time I come thru Harrisburg he would check it out. I told him I was starting a long trip but he said not to worry as it won't hurt anything being removed. That was about five years ago and I still haven't gotten to Harrisburg.

Just another option.

• Like 1

If you have a slide lock failure or don't have them, you can do this;

With the slide closed, Measure from the coach inside wall to inside the sealing flange on the slide. Cut as many 2" X 6"s as you want and place them them at each end area of the slide. 

Thanks,

I took it apart and thinking I will not be able to fix it myself. The cable is frayed at the top and bottom latch’s and welded into the latch’s. I screwed the cover on and am going to try to run without it for a while. The front one is still working. I replaced these about 4 years ago and can’t remember but I think I paid 800-1000 for used ones.

I did find the stainless cable and sewage sleeves on Amazon.

paul

I like you couldn't repair mine, so I bit the bullet and ordered a set, the only way they come back in 2019 for $1750.  I lubed them up carefully and got them installed and one broke about 6 months later.  Thankfully they replaced the pair under warranty, but I did run an entire season with only one lock.  No problems.  We full time and travel almost continuously so I do know our slides go out and in more often than most.  Veruinks is where I got them.