Are 8D Starting Batteries a Bad Idea at This Point?

My Sam's Club 8D starting batteries don't even last 2 years anymore. Since I cannot manage these things by myself anyhow, maybe 2 smaller batteries in parallel might be a better way to go. Or - maybe a better quality 8D would be the ticket. I have a '95 Dynasty and would appreciate your ideas. 

We buy 8Ds from NAPA or big rig shops when they have a pallet sale.

The last two I put in my houseboat 7 year's ago as House Batteries. 

The 31 series and 8D that I get from NAPA 

Have been long term performing. 

I am guessing that you have something else going on to cause your 8D batteries to fail. My coach came from the factory (2001) with an 8D that was still going strong in 2012 but I chose to replace it at the Sam's Club in Alaska as I didn't want to have any problems while driving through desolate areas of Canada to get to the lower 48. That same 8D Battery is still in my coach powering the Cummins ISC to this day so that is over 11+ years of service for the first one (but still good) and now 9+ years of service and still going strong for who knows how many more years.

I had a Smart Start for over 4 years, it came with the bus. Worked fine till a guy where we had it stored, left the disconnect on. It froze. Trying to see where it is at. So far it is checking out. If it is bad I plan on replacing with the same AGN 8D. Same problem with the house batteries. I people before us replaced the batteries with 2 100AH Deep Cycle. I'm going to replace them with 2 AGM 4D's 220AH each. There goes my COVID money. 97 Dynasty.

We live in Tucson and I've never had good luck with 8D batteries.  The heat kills them.  Two years max.  I converted the 8D start battery to two Group 31 12V batteries in parallel.  They last much longer and are a lot easier to handle.  

• Like 1

Agree you have something wrong.

Replaced the 10 year old Interstate 31 batteries in OR because no sales tax and I could keep them. One battery would still start my ISL 400 so put them in a 24V machine for another 4 years.

Edited by Ivylog

Same as most everyone else.  My Interstate chassis battery was put in service Feb 2012.  I do keep a trickle charger/conditioner on it when I'm not camping.  I'm getting ready for a short trip up to Bristol for some dirt racing and I've noticed it might be fading a bit.  If it was more than a hour drive I'd replace it now, but I'm going to try and see if it just needs some time with the engine running to charge it up fully.

17 hours ago, pete.miller77 said:

My Sam's Club 8D starting batteries don't even last 2 years anymore. Since I cannot manage these things by myself anyhow, maybe 2 smaller batteries in parallel might be a better way to go. Or - maybe a better quality 8D would be the ticket. I have a '95 Dynasty and would appreciate your ideas. 

Pete, Velocity Truck Center, formerly Freightliner of Arizona in Tolleson had Alliance 31 series starting batteries cheaper than anywhere else I have found, perhaps 8D also.  (623) 907-9900.  I have had good service with them.

Truck Dealer's like Mack or Peterbuilts buy semi trailer loads of pallets, of batteries. 

And offer great sales now 👍and then.

Get to know the parts guys 

Get on the, List. 

Or get an account at your favirite NAPA store 

Not enough Amps for starting a Cummins Diesel engine. Plus not enough Amp Hours to even use for house batteries.

My 8D has 1720 Cranking Amps @ 32 F and 1400 Cranking Amps @ 0F.

For starting batteries  you want  to know the "cranking amps" versus Ampere Hours.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gregolson65@yahoo.com said:

Do you have any recommendations

NAPA comercial 

Two 31 series or 1 D8 

We use both combos in Farm tractors and Over the road Tractor's. 

I've gone both ways with rv Diesels 

I wanted to increase the AH capacity of my coach battery bank.  I had four nearly-new T-145 (NO, not T-105) Trojans in my lower battery tray.  A friend offered me his four nearly new Interstates in the same size as mine.  I had an 8D in the upper tray for the engine and chassis.  I welded up a new tray to hold two Group 31 batteries of approximately 950 CCA each behind the side radiator.  I then made a new tray to accomodate the extra height of the Interstate T-145 equivalents to be the upper tray in my original battery compartment.  (Hmmmm...wonder if someone will give us the "ad nauseum" lecture about mixing battery types/ages/capacities?  I've run this setup for over five years (60K miles), including a trip to Alaska.)  Even with a residential fridge and a propane furnace with 12VDC blower, I can survive an overnight of 30*F and have 65% battery capacity left in the morning.

That resulted in approximately 1000 AH of coach batteries and over 1800 CCA for the engine.  I have lots of 4/0 cable, a hydraulic crimper, and a large assortment of battery lug terminals.  I ran the shortest possible 4/0 cables to the starter.  Previously, I never had a case when the engine would not start...but it always seemed to me that it just BARELY started...turned over too slowly and too long in cold weather.  After the new battery arrangement, a Denso gear-reduction starter, and the Blue Sea ML-ACR battery management device, the old ISC spins over like a Honda.  It will start in 25*F weather without block heater or waiting for the "Wait to Start" light to go out.  (Hmmmm...wonder if someone is going to give us a lecture about the grave harm done by starting the engine without waiting for the "Wait to Start" light to extinguish.  😄)  I did not use AGM batteries for the engine/chassis batteries, but I did choose "Maintenance-Free" batteries and they are certainly nice in this installation.

I could barely wrestle the old 8D into its tray when I was 66, six years ago.  I would not like to try it again at 72.  I think even if someone were not planning to relocate the engine/chassis battery, it would be worthwhile to replace the 8D with two Group 31 (or similar) batteries