Tag Axle Pressure Regulator

The Monaco part number for the tag axle air pressure regulator is 01807886. The vendor part number is  Parker 2617-MRK-5 and the gauge reads 0-160 psi. The old Monaco part number was 01807096, Parker P/N 2617-MRK-3 and the gauge read 0-60psi that was superseded to the new part number in 2005.

Grainger has the correct replacement Parker Regulator, the Grainger P/N 21U810, Parker P/N06R118AC, $82.00 and also a Norgren Regulator, P/N 22ZD19, Norgren P/NR73G-RMG-7419. $74.19. Both are the correct replacements for the Monaco Tag axle Regulator.

Grainger also has a Speedaire replacement for about half price, not recommended.

If the leaking regulator is set at a Specific Pressure for the weight of the coach and it is holding that pressure despite that it is leaking, there is no real reason to re-weigh the coach unless you have changed the loading since you last weighed the coach. Just set the new regulator to the correct pressure and go.

Rick,

it should be higher. The best way is to weigh all of your axles with trailer attached, then adjust accordingly to your weight placard next to drivers seat. This takes all the guess work out of it. You will have steer, drive, and tag axle weight limits on the placard to go by. Do not exceed the weight max for each axle. It may take several attempts weighing to adjust regulator to proper pressure. In most cases, the front axle will be maxed out in relation to the drive and tag axles. I personally like as much weight on the drive axle as I can get without overloading the front. Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, David Pratt said:

If the leaking regulator is set at a Specific Pressure for the weight of the coach and it is holding that pressure despite that it is leaking, there is no real reason to re-weigh the coach unless you have changed the loading since you last weighed the coach. Just set the new regulator to the correct pressure and go.

How do you determine that the pressure reading is correct, or are the dial markings just a guide for setting at a specific position?

Paul,

I would get my axle weights correct before I paid any attention to what the pressure setting is. It takes several attempts weighing the coach, adjusting regulator, reweighing coach, before you get to a set point on regulator. Once you are satisfied with axle weights, then make a note of where your set pressure is at on regulator. Hope this helps.

I had a similar issue on our early-build (April 2004) model year 2005 Exec. Different floor plans and options can influence weight distribution, of course. Our 45PBQ has dual bedroom slides and the Splendide almost in a rear corner, and the heavy Detroit Diesel engine option. Then we added 4 more house batteries. I found that I needed ~60 PSI in the tag regulator to get axle weights close to right.

When mine leaked, I pulled it apart, cleaned everything, and reinstalled. OK for a while but started leaking again about a year later. When I pulled it again, I realized that it had “0-60 PSI” molded into the body. I think it was a “Norton” regulator? Anyway, I replaced it with a 0-125 PSI Watts regulator I grabbed from Amazon. Over-engineered, but no more leaks from running at the edge of specs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul A. said:

How do you determine that the pressure reading is correct, or are the dial markings just a guide for setting at a specific position?

Paul, first you must understand the purpose of the regulator. The regulator controls how much force is exerted on the tag axle itself. Remember, your coach is a fulcrum with the drive axle being the pivot. Hence, the lighter the tag, the lighter the steer axle. The pressure regulator is used to maintain proper axle weight distribution ratios. In order to do this, you need to know the weights of each axle. Also, assuming your weights are within proper specs, it can be used to alter your coach's drivability to the driver's comfort. Say your coach is too light on the steer axle and you wander a bit with over-steering. A minor adjustment to increase the weight on the steer axle will give you a more firm feel to the steering. Caution must be used though to ensure you don't overload the front axle. Obviously this can only be accomplished IF you know your axle weights which is why weighing your coach is important. I will jump on the scales probably once every four or five fill ups. Cost is $12.50  and 15 mins of my time. Looking at my weight ticket allows me to do several things;  Readjust my tag, readjust my load or just go on my merry way. If I'm overweight on the front axle I can adjust the pressure in the tag to lighten the front axle. Conversely, I can lighten them both as well. Lightening the steer/tag will increase the weight on the drive axle. Just remember adjusting the regulator must be done in small increments. Be sure to "lock" the setting when you're through by pushing the knob down completely. Hope this helps....Dennis