potable water hose recommendations

Jim McGarvie

It doesn’t collapse when routed over the edge, if that’s what you’re asking.

I don’t think 75’ would fit, especially of 3/4” hose. When I replaced mine I used about 40’ of 1/2” hose, which is what came off my reel, and that filled up my reel.   The nipple on my reel is 1/2”, and I’ve not had much success putting larger hoses on there (I tried with 5/8” hose before going down to 1/2” hose.).

I am also in need of drinking water hose improvements!  Is the hose constructed so I could cut to the desired length and install my own fittings (i.e. what is available from Ace Hardware for example)?

I also use the Flexzilla hose. Bought it at Menards. Doesn't come in 25' lengths though. 5' for lead in, I use it from the coach to the whole house filter, then use a 25' hose from Camping World. Both are good hoses. If I were to up the length to 50' I'd buy the Flexzilla. I also have the 100' Flex that I use at the house. Safe for drinking water. 100' hose was about 55 bucks IIRC......Dennis

We use Zero G water hoses.  They make 2 types, one for Potable (drinking) water and one as a normal water hose.  They are from the marine industry,  They come in 1/2 and 5/8 sizes and in various lengths..  We have used them for a few years now.  Easily coiled up to put extra connected hose inside water bay so no long lengths left outside our water bay and very easy to coil up and store when not in use. No kinks and very light weight.  Check them out.  Stay safe, Stay well, Safe travels. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegaman19760 said:

We use Zero G water hoses.  They make 2 types, one for Potable (drinking) water and one as a normal water hose.  They are from the marine industry,  They come in 1/2 and 5/8 sizes and in various lengths..  We have used them for a few years now.  Easily coiled up to put extra connected hose inside water bay so no long lengths left outside our water bay and very easy to coil up and store when not in use. No kinks and very light weight.  Check them out.  Stay safe, Stay well, Safe travels. 

Those look great! Thanks Dick.

There used to be a fellow I'd see at Quartzsite and other RV shows/rallies I think went by the name of "The Water Filter Man" (or Store).  I don't believe he's around anymore.  He made hoses in custom lengths (on the spot) or had standard lengths premade.  He crimped on real brass connectors.  It turned out the original hose he used contained some harmful compounds and the manufacturer reformulated it to meet today's NSF standards for potable water.  I liked it his hoses so much, I bought a roll (It comes in 300ft lengths) and after using 100ft for my purposes shared the rest with friends.

One tip I have to keep your hose neat - all hose has a natural "lay" to it.  Work with that lay and don't try to fight it when you recoil it after use.  Same for extension cords.  They'll look great for years.

This is the hose he used:  https://hosewarehouse.com/products/K6155-08X300-Kuriyama-Kuri-Tec-K6155-Series-High-Purity-Non-Toxic-PVC-Potable-White-Water-Hose-1-2-ID-750-OD-300ft   Clear PVC compound, formulated in compliance with FDA(03) and NSF(11)(13) criteria.

Kuriyama Kuri Tec® Series K6155 High Purity Non-Toxic PVC Potable Water Hose - White A flexible, non-contaminating food grade hose that is ideal for use in food, beverage and water applications.

k6155_540x.png?v=1591487367

K6155-08X300 Kuriyama Kuri Tec K6155 Series High Purity Non-Toxic PVC Potable White Water Hose - 1/2" ID - .750" OD - 300ft

Edited by Moonwink

Jim, for years I have used SS braided washing machine hoses snapped together with quick disconnects for my shore water hookups. We do NOT use any shore water for drinking, only for showers, toilet and sinks. I do carry a 25 foot collapsible canvas hose I purchased from Camping World many years ago just in case the water hookup is too far away not allowing me to use the few sections of SS braided hose that I carry. However they no longer carry that product.

The only place I found that carries something similar is West Marine and it only comes in a 50 foot length.

https://tinyurl.com/p86ud2jy

4 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Jim, for years I have used SS braided washing machine hoses snapped together with quick disconnects for my shore water hookups. We do NOT use any shore water for drinking, only for showers, toilet and sinks. I do carry a 25 foot collapsible canvas hose I purchased from Camping World many years ago just in case the water hookup is too far away not allowing me to use the few sections of SS braided hose that I carry. However they no longer carry that product.

The only place I found that carries something similar is West Marine and it only comes in a 50 foot length.

https://tinyurl.com/p86ud2jy

Thanks Richard. I have decided to try the Zero G. The light weight and ease of handling are very appealing.

Jim

We have two hoses one 50' 5/8" and one 75' 3/4".

The 50' I purchased from Home Depot it is black and rolls up flat but I can't remember what the brand was just know it was from Home Depot and was in a clear plastic tube like container.

The other 75' hose is a ZeroG Pro.

This is the second ZGPro that we have had.

The first one started to leak at one of the ends after about a year.

Zero G just needed me to cut the ends off and send a picture and they sent me a new hose.

The new one has not leaked, yet.

I like the larger 3/4" for flow but wish they came in a 25' and 50', 75' is a lot to work with when it comes time to roll it up but still not too bad.