General Travel late Spring 2021

This is just a "heads up" for anyone planning to go somewhere in your RV in the next few months. We are located in North Texas (close to Dallas) and Friday are headed north to Des Moines, Iowa, then east to Chicago, then just south of Elkhart, Indiana, back up to Charlotte, Michigan, back down to Fort Wayne, Indiana, over to Toledo, then south to Dayton, Ohio, on south into North Carolina and then meander back to Texas. Please don't bother commenting on my route, we are going to those places for a reason and will spend 3-4-5 days in each location.

My point here is that I have talked with many campgrounds, RV Parks, etc., and ALL have said they were busy. Many said they were the busiest they had ever been. Many have been totally full.

So, if you are planning on any trip anywhere, I recommend you call ASAP to learn when you need to make that reservation (or just take a chance).

Thanks for heads up! We have used national forest campgrounds for years as that’s what we grew up with. 

Few years ago, we just started getting a site in a private RV park near where we like to play  and keeping it May-Oct. 

We still travel, and looking for was to stay “off grid” more, and keep the site. 

Great advise! It’s been quoted, over a million rvs sold last year, only 150k sites built. Buckle up for next few years. 

I have a site that charges a few to constantly click on state/national campgrounds to get you a site in your days. You pay a monthly fee based on frequency you want the computer  to refresh your request. I’m not using it currently as I don’t have big plans to travel. 

So many people are using apps to get in to make reservations, and then quite a few don’t even show up. It’s peanuts to tie up a site “Just in case” you can break a way for a weekend. The campgrounds can’t let you use the site because the people reserved it and might still show up. On cloudy weekends here at home, the campgrounds are empty, but each site is reserved. 

Edited by JDCrow
Spelling of course

I second that, being on our second or maybe third month from TX to AZ and now in NV, it is near impossible to get into state parks for more than a lucky one day stay. Not that we care since we like to stay away from packed parks but here and there we need refill so I check them out. State and national parks in NV are first come so they are more doable early in the day and always full later on.

We are still amazed at how many RVs only stop for ONE NIGHT. The campgrounds are full in the morning, empty after 11am and full again when the sun goes down. When we travel we like to spend at least a week, sometimes two in one place. Gives us time to see what each area has to offer, talk to the locals and find more 'stuff' to go see.....Dennis

Totally agree with you.  Spent 3 days at Pointes West Army Resort north of Augusta, GA and opted for another 3 days.  We live 150 miles from there and have already decided that is our "best place" for a getaway.

Roy

I sure agree with Ron.  We have been full timing for over 17 years and the last several have been tough.  Although we winter in Florida, 4 months, the rest of the time we are on the move, usually out west, rarely staying anywhere for more than a week.  We used to try to be fancy free and not reserve, but now we are finding we have to make reservations almost a year in advance.  Everywhere we go the campgrounds are full, some favorites are completely booked for the entire season!

Ron - Agree with your comments.  We are taking grandkids to Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde and Moab this summer.  The usual place we stay in Moab said they are booked all summer which is unusual for them.  Reservations at Grand Canyon (actually Williams) was problematic too.  Fortunately we made them several months ago.  People aren't flying to Europe this year for vacation - they're going camping.  Good luck everyone.

Gerry

07 Cayman

23 hours ago, Ivan K said:

I second that, being on our second or maybe third month from TX to AZ and now in NV, it is near impossible to get into state parks for more than a lucky one day stay. Not that we care since we like to stay away from packed parks but here and there we need refill so I check them out. State and national parks in NV are first come so they are more doable early in the day and always full later on.

I miss the days of first come first serve. Almost  All our National Forest camps here in Oregon went to concessionaire a few years back. Like I mentioned, we gave up trying to reserve.