Starlink users

I plan to replace my ToGo with Starlink once it’s available for RV. I signed up for the beta at my house, but don’t expect to see it until this fall (Atlanta).

What’s the performance like at your house?  Have you run any tests?

We have Beta here, so it’s all over the place at times. I’ve hit 180mps. It averages 80/90 

I guess when the ground support is up and running it will get better. Some claim as high as 300

We can stream whatever we want. Surfing is easy. Zoom/Skype does run into trouble sometimes, so Currently not the best or business 

I am also interested in the RV application of Starlink and signed up for beta (Toronto). I got the invitation to buy a home unit but did not sign up.

I have been following Starlink news and it seems that there are some regulatory issues regarding mobile broadcasting. Applications have been made etc.

There will also be a mobile version of the hardware. There have been hints of lower hardware prices and higher speeds. I'm hoping it is all resolved by late summer so I can get set up for a winter in the south.

The speeds will get higher as ground infrastructure gets on board and the dishes are not locked on one Satellite as they are now. It’s going to be a pretty big deal I feel. 

Edited by JDCrow
Spelling

On 4/24/2021 at 12:40 PM, JDCrow said:

We have Starlink currently here at our home base. It’s been announced that they plan on having RV kits available by the end of the year. 

Anyone else using them now and/or plan on adding to their coach? 

Got Starlink Saturday. I’m in NE Oklahoma. Speedtest that day was 85 MB’s. This morning, 187! Can’t wait to get it for the motorhome.

Ed.          
‘05 HR Ambassador 

I know a couple of RVers who have starlink and are testing it in their RV.  Starlink now lets you change you "service address" on their website, which has let them move around pretty easily (though some areas have no service, or are at capacity for the beta, in which case you're out of luck).  The big downside is the power draw, almost 2.5 kWh 24 hours of use (approx 200Ah@12V), so if you plan to use it while boondocking make sure you've got a big battery banks and/or lots of solar.  As for me, I'm considering it soon.

Yeah the draw on the batteries. You’ll need to unplug it for sure when not in use. 

Yes you can ask to move it. It’s been really vague as to what exactly happens. I Haven’t seen any instructions or how too. You just tell Starlink you are moving. 

18 hours ago, jreich888 said:

I know a couple of RVers who have starlink and are testing it in their RV.  Starlink now lets you change you "service address" on their website, which has let them move around pretty easily (though some areas have no service, or are at capacity for the beta, in which case you're out of luck).  The big downside is the power draw, almost 2.5 kWh 24 hours of use (approx 200Ah@12V), so if you plan to use it while boondocking make sure you've got a big battery banks and/or lots of solar.  As for me, I'm considering it soon.

I put a Killawatt meter on my Starlink. After almost 22 hours the daily rate works out to 1.15 kw. I think that works out to about 95 amps at 12v? May have to bump my solar install up nearly 50%.

Next I’ll be checking the speed of the service at various times of the day. Since it’s a worldwide system time of day may not make a big difference.

Ed.          
‘05 Ambassador

Edited by saflyer

On 5/6/2021 at 8:30 AM, saflyer said:

I put a Killawatt meter on my Starlink. After almost 22 hours the daily rate works out to 1.15 kw. I think that works out to about 95 amps at 12v? May have to bump my solar install up nearly 50%.

Next I’ll be checking the speed of the service at various times of the day. Since it’s a worldwide system time of day may not make a big difference.

Ed.          
‘05 Ambassador

Another question, does the unit use more energy when you are actively using it to access the Internet as opposed to when it is idle?

Ed

Edited by saflyer

That could be a major issue. I've only got 480w solar and 4AGM 300 ah lifeline.  That doesn't sound like nearly enough. Do you think by the time RV market is approved they'll solve the power problem during the beta phase . I assume it's going to be an issue for most. 

1 hour ago, Joelsheriff said:

That could be a major issue. I've only got 480w solar and 4AGM 300 ah lifeline.  That doesn't sound like nearly enough. Do you think by the time RV market is approved they'll solve the power problem during the beta phase . I assume it's going to be an issue for most. 

Without the Starlink I use 150-175 amps, maybe another 25 if I need heaters. My original plan was 740-840 watts of solar panels. Three hours of good sun should cover a days needs. But the Starlink’s 90-95 amps would indicate a need to increase the solar by about 50%. 

Ed

I’m no solar wiz, can’t you just unplug it when not in use?

95 Amps was stated In a 22 hr straight pull? 

Again, solar is a new, to me, still learning. How does is work when calculating for size of system? 

On 5/8/2021 at 12:36 AM, JDCrow said:

I’m no solar wiz, can’t you just unplug it when not in use?

95 Amps was stated In a 22 hr straight pull? 

Again, solar is a new, to me, still learning. How does is work when calculating for size of system? 

Yes, I would put a switch on the Starlink to reduce it’s power drain. But there are internet connected items that need that connection 24 hours a day. My hope is the mobile unit will be redesigned to use less energy.

Ed

I shut it all down. Computers, phones, Apple TV’s, it’s all turned off. The internet knows I’m on bed, but not what’s going on. LOL 

Out of curiosity, without prying, what has to stay connected 24hr to the net? Triggers for stock trades on the Foreign markets? 

3 hours ago, JDCrow said:

I shut it all down. Computers, phones, Apple TV’s, it’s all turned off. The internet knows I’m on bed, but not what’s going on. LOL 

Out of curiosity, without prying, what has to stay connected 24hr to the net? Triggers for stock trades on the Foreign markets? 

Didn’t spend a lot of time thinking about the items. One is a temperature sensor to alert me if my dog might get too hot when I am not there. But that doesn’t have to be operating when I am there. I should be able to turn the Starlink off some or a lot of the time. Of course all of this presumes I remember to turn it off. I still hope they make the portable unit more energy efficient.

Ed