Where the rubber meets the road.

Guest Ray Davis

I've seen super singles on trucks but not on a MOHO.   Has anyone on here tried them?    They are eye catching,  actually rather strange looking.

What size are the ones pictured above?  They don't appear as overly wide as the ones I've seen on semis.

I googled super singles and this site came up https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-tech/the-pros-and-cons-of-super-singles/

It's not a MOHO but interesting non the less.  He mentions being able to lower tire psi for a much smoother ride.  In the pict below you can see a dramatic size diff,    those tires would support a MOHO.  LOL                                                                                                                                                                                                          "  I bought five Goodyear G275 MSA 335/80/R20 military tires.  They are 41-inches tall on 20-inch rims. "

Super Single Vs 19 5 Tire

2 hours ago, Ivylog said:

So instead of 70 psi in the tag’s tires you could use 35.

LOL!

Even the 295/80's most of our tag axles come with are overkill for the weight they carry. Guess it's just to make all your tires match.

Michelin introduced Super Singles, aka, DWR, Dual wheel replacement, to the North American market back in the early 80's. It was a total failure. The Weight rating of those were for application in Europe and could not carry the weight the tires designed for the application on the U S. ALL components must be engineered to carry the weight collectively. 

They are being used on selective freight carriers that transport certain goods and product conducive to the rating of those Super Singles.

Edited by Paul A.
  • Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

The article ( link ) states,      "the Goodyears have a capacity of 6,395 pounds each.   ( he ) chose Goodyear because they had the highest speed rating of 81 miles per hour at 6,395 pounds."

It's not exactly my thing but I gotta say the wheels & tires look really good on his F-450 PU

Even if they could carry the weight, I like the redundancy of the duals.
I blew an outer dual at 70mph, towing my race trailer, while passing a line of semis, and though the bang startled me, it didn't really affect handling at all.  That wouldn't have been the case with a super single.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

Even if they could carry the weight, I like the redundancy of the duals.
I blew an outer dual at 70mph, towing my race trailer, while passing a line of semis, and though the bang startled me, it didn't really affect handling at all.  That wouldn't have been the case with a super single.

Yeah, I would not want a super single to be the only tire in the rear corner of a dually. I had somewhat similar experience with our old Class C and did not feel the flat outer rear tire until seeing it at a gas station. I had to stop to refuel every couple hundreds miles and that was the only time I was happy about that small fuel tank.

• Like 1

I’ve limped in on one rear tire after a blowout on a previous DP…not going to happen with just a single. While it’s not much, super singles are in several inches …outside of tire to other outside (axle width) is probably 5” less than duals. This will negatively affect handling on curvy roads.

Edited by Ivylog

On 6/24/2021 at 10:08 AM, Ray Davis said:

I've seen super singles on trucks but not on a MOHO.   Has anyone on here tried them?    They are eye catching,  actually rather strange looking.

What size are the ones pictured above?  They don't appear as overly wide as the ones I've seen on semis.

I googled super singles and this site came up https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-tech/the-pros-and-cons-of-super-singles/

It's not a MOHO but interesting non the less.  He mentions being able to lower tire psi for a much smoother ride.  In the pict below you can see a dramatic size diff,    those tires would support a MOHO.  LOL                                                                                                                                                                                                          "  I bought five Goodyear G275 MSA 335/80/R20 military tires.  They are 41-inches tall on 20-inch rims. "

Super Single Vs 19 5 Tire

They’ll fill up those wheel wells. 

Super Singles were developed for certain trucks to reduce their UVW so they could carry more product before reaching their GVWR. Each Super Single gets rid of one rim and whatever the difference is between the weight  of two normal tires and one super single tire.

Great article explaining the advantages of Super Single Tires.

http://truck-driver-blog.blogspot.com/2014/10/advantages-of-super-single-truck-tires.html

I like what I have on my coach so no desire to change.

• 2 weeks later...

Considered Super Singles a few years ago. Spoke to a truck driver and he said that it was nearly impossible in the event of a blowout to slow down quickly enough to avoid damage to a very expensive wheel. He drove for a tanker company which used super singles on their rigs because they did less damage to gas station asphalt. 

Edited by Gary Cole