Should I go to Elkhart

So I’m in Cincinnati for the day. I was thinking about driving up to Elkhart  just for the experience and to go to the RV museum. I was wondering if anybody’s been there and is it worth my time to go up there? I also need to have my  Aqua hot worked on I thought maybe that would be a good place to do it?   Any thoughts thanks in advance. 

Don

Yes to the museum. I've had very good service at Elkhart Sales and Service. Tom there is a Monaco expert. Although I don't have an aqua hot so I can't speak to that.  ES& S stays busy and hard to get in without an appointment

1 minute ago, The Hales said:

The Museum is a pilgrimage for all real RVers.  I don’t remember much else going on in Elkhart other than RV manufacturing. 

Lots of great Agricultural 👍 sites

Amish restaurant s

Fruit stands

Antiques 

I have been to the RV Museum several times. It's definitely worth the visit but in my opinion, not worth it if you have to drive there from Cincinnati.  You mentioned Aquahot service, I STRONGLY recommend you call so see if you can get an appointment. We were in Elkhart about a month ago and many places were 2-3 months (yes, months) of waiting for an appointment. I have used Paul's RV Service and Interiors, 66540 State Rte 19, Wakarusa, IN 46573 (574) 862-6778 (be sure to call for an appointment). on two occasions and thought he was fair, did good work, and I would use him again. 

I've known Tom at Elkhart Sales and Service for several years and recall that he told me they were writing appointments nearly two months out when I called him.

I just left the area, spent the night at JC Refrigeration's parking lot in Shipshewana to upgrade our 4-door 1200-series Norcold to a 12 volt residential fridge with a 6am appointment I had made back in April. While there I took a long shot and looked up the local Dometic dealer, found National RV Refrigeration, 3 miles away. Gave them a call and they said they could squeeze us in at 1pm the next day to install a new Penguin II High Capacity unit W/ Heat Pump replace my non-working Penguin unit W/ Heat Pump. The old Penguin had decided it would only work in Heat Pump mode and then just gave up the ghost. With temps in the plus 90s the last few weeks I was willing to replace both ACs and the controller, as one AC was not cutting it.

JC Refrigeration had us done by 8:30 so I headed to National RV Refrigeration, hoping I could get in a little early as I had a campground reservation two hours away. I was amazed to find an AC tech that decided to trouble shoot the problem instead of just replacing the unit(s). After four hours in light rain the AC was working great and the bill was under $100, I wrote them a check for a bit more more knowing I had just saved a bunch of money. I know Shipshewana will be in my travels in the future, maybe I'll even get to visit the RV museum in Elkhart.

Thanks guys for all the info I just got here this evening with all your advice. I decided to drive out see the museum tomorrow and go from there. I’m going to try and get a few things done and off to  Mount Rushmore. I was thinking of maybe even calling a local RV tech to come out and do a few things for me. Do you guys have any suggestions or recommendations on somebody to call to come to me?  Thanks in advance.

Don

We always schedule a stop at Elkhart Sales & Service whenever we are going from AZ to PA to see family. Tom Bumpus is one of the best Monaco/HR techs around. We're on our way now to stop there next Monday morning for some body and paint work. We have stopped there 6 times in the last 10 years. Always very happy with their work.

Chet P

2004 Monaco SIG

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chet P said:

We always schedule a stop at Elkhart Sales & Service whenever we are going from AZ to PA to see family. Tom Bumpus is one of the best Monaco/HR techs around. We're on our way now to stop there next Monday morning for some body and paint work. We have stopped there 6 times in the last 10 years. Always very happy with their work.

Chet P

2004 Monaco SIG

13 hours ago, Chet P said:

Chet P

2004 Monaco SIG

They do the painting too or just your service work?

Perhaps some of the folks that visit Elkhart Sales & Service could check around and see where some of the surplus places are located and post the locations. Last time I was in Elkhart there was one very close to Elkhart Sales & Service. One that I recall is Bontrager's in White Pigeon, MI.

You might want to call and see if any of the factory tours are still operating again.  The last I had heard they were closed due to the COVID fiasco.  I'm planning on heading that way in late Aug or early Sept.

Elkhart Sales & Service does paint and body work. They are going to do some fiberglass repair and painting on our coach starting Monday. Coach is sitting in their lot right now.

The surplus near ES&S has closed. Bontrager's in White Pigeon, MI. is the one I always go to. Will scout around Monday and see if there are any more in area.

Chet P

2004 Monaco SIG

Edited by Chet P