Mobley turns off after about 30 minutes.

We have had our Mobley for around 7 years without a problem. We leave it on 24/7 in the coach even when not using the coach. Just recently, itt has been shutting down after about 30 minutes or so. I have to unplug and reinstall then it works fine for another half hour + or - .  I had named it when we first got it , also changed the PW. I noticed several days ago that when I went to wifi on my iPad, the Mobley was listed as Mobleyxxxx and it reverted to the original password. I was able to rename it back to how I had it and reset the password. But, the dang still shuts down.  

I know that the new devices have a auto shut down if the vehicle is not in motion. I understand that is so people like us don’t use it in a stationary vehicle. 

has anyone had this problem and of what is your work around?

thanks

Duncan H. 
2014 Entegra Anthem 

former 2005 Windsor 

There's a somewhat related discussion on iRV2.  It's coming up on a year old.  It doesn't address your failures but discusses what others were replacing with. 

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/replacement-for-mobley-hotspot-510984.html

Wild guess but your's could be heat related from a buildup of dust covering internal components (attracted by the heat).  Try blowing some compressed air through it.  But I'm guessing it's on it's last leg. 

Good luck,

- bob

Mine has been on Full-Time since owning it back in 2017. It even stays powered on after AT&T had pushed its firmware update which eliminated the choice of NEVER under the Time-Out selections.

I purchased a barely used Mobley to have as a spare just in case my original one took a dump. If or when that happens I can simply remove the SIM card and install it into the spare.

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Mine has been on Full-Time since owning it back in 2017. It even stays powered on after AT&T had pushed its firmware update which eliminated the choice of NEVER under the Time-Out selections.

I purchased a barely used Mobley to have as a spare just in case my original one took a dump. If or when that happens I can simply remove the SIM card and install it into the spare.

I have had our Mobley about the same time length and it stays on nearly all the time too.  We live rural, no internet out here, so Mobley is my only internet.                      Obama promised us high speed internet but so far it's only fios down the road along the hiway.

I unplug it and take it in the RV so that's about the only time I disconnect it.   I have had it lose contact with ATT a time or 2 over the yrs but unplugging it and plugging    it right back in has always made it come back up.  I wonder if since we are using it so often is why ours doesn't cut off.

I love the Mobley, it has been great for our situation.

on the road tod@y for 3 1/2 hours listening to XM from my phone on Mobley for wifi and it stayed hot the whole trip. The , about half an hour after stopping, it shut down. So while driving, it works (plugged into an ac adaptor). But when not 8n motion, it shuts down. Not able to set time out. Kind of a pain to keep resetting it while parked. 

any ideas?  Thanks Duncan H

Edited by duncan8846@att.net

I believe that I read that AT&T had removed the option for the device to remain on indefinitely after stopping and shutting down the engine.  Originally, the device was to sense the >13 Volts of an alternator, and perform a delayed shutdown after the voltage dropped below that threshold.   Most of us have rewired the Mobley to allow constant 12 input.  A side effect of being in a coach is that the voltage is almost always >13 Volts, either by the alternator, or the float of the battery charger, so many never knew of this requirement.  I also remember reading a couple years ago, that the Mobley could sense movement - lack of movement - bouncing down the road.  Itwould initiate a shutdown just like it does for voltage <13 Volts when no movement was sensed.  I can remember shaking my Mosley when it when offline, and it would come alive again.  I only use mine in the coach, and I'm not a full-timer, so this was acceptable for the price.  This past year my Mobley had never (to my knowledge) shut down, so I don't know what the latest status is.  But rest assured, this is not an overheating problem, and you are not the only one experiencing (had experienced) this problem.  I doubt AT&T will be of any help - I suspect they can't wait for these to break and be done with the plan since so many have used it beyond its intended vision.   The replacement for the Mobley uses GPS and shuts off if it senses no movement in 15 minutes.   I'm not sure how that works in a traffic jam when you'd most likely want/ need WiFi.

Duncan,

Haven't seen a post of what firmware version your device is running.

I looked up mine, the version is VM6200V1.0.3

Also, after AT&T pushed a firmware update some years ago removing the "never" choice for when it times out the longest selection is now 2 hours which I have chosen. But it has never timed out or turned itself off ever.

I have had to unplug the device on rare occasions when it appears to have lost its cellular connection.

Richard,

my version is the same as yours, VM6200 V1.0.3.  I looked in settings there is nothing for setting time outs. All I have to do is shake the Mobley or wake it up. But of course when you are in the middle of something it is a PIA when it goes to sleep o you

duncan

Rick

Thanks for the  info. I finally found the “power save” location in settings. It now gives me half hour intervals up to 2 hours. No option to leave it on indefinitely don’t know if I can get t back. I’m sure ATT won’t be of any help. It has worked great for all the time we’ve had it. Trying to think of a device to shake it very hour or so while we are stationary to make it think we’re still on the road. Maybe one of those things that keep self winding watches running while not being worn, like Rolex (and no, I don’t have one of those) 😊

Duncan

Edited by duncan8846@att.net

2 hours ago, duncan8846@att.net said:

Maybe one of those things that keep self winding watches running while not being worn, like Rolex (and no, I don’t have one of those) 😊.

That just opens up all kinds of ideas, first being something I can't even think of a name for.  It has a tiny water pump that slowly fills a basin on the short end of a lever (middle fulcrum).  On the other end is a bird's head or something decorative.  When the basin fills and gets heavy enough it moves the lever, dumps the basin water into a reservoir and repeats.  The mobley could be attached to the balancing point on the lever.  If nothing else it would make a GREAT conversation piece!

Or on a platform run by a tiny (very) quiet motor on a cam . . . .

Or attached to a pendulum.  Got any grandfather clocks in your Entegra? 

This should be a Monacoer Group project.  Chime in guys!

- bob

ATT replaced the Mobley with the Spark, which we have.  Same problem, shut down after 20 to 30 minutes, unplug, restart and keep going.  We use the reboot time to refresh a drink, get something to eat etc.  A pita, but it's better than RV park wifi.  Since getting a Cradlepoint cell router however we hardly use the Spark.  But all in all, the reboot time wasn't the worse.

Woody Miller

Okay, I've been laughed at before but, mine would also shut down after 20 minutes if just sitting on the desk top. An occasional shake would wake it up for another 20 minutes then off again, But if driving and the Mobley was laying on the counter top, it would never go to sleep, vibration keeping it awake? So just for the heck of it, I taped it to a small fan, turned the fan on low and it stays connected 24/7. I've been told on another RV forum that there is nothing inside the Mobley that would shake it awake and that the fan had nothing to do with it's staying on. As they say, works for me!

IMG_6146.JPG

• Like 1