Jump to content

Samsung RF197 not cooling fridge


pwhittle
 Share

Recommended Posts

Our RF 197 has worked great for the four years we have owned it.

For the last few days the freezer has worked great at -2, but the fridge is set at 36, and the fridge is showing 53 degrees.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions

 

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is possibly stuck in defrost mode. I would unplug it for a few minutes then reprogram it. I have the same fridge and something of the similar nature happened to me and this fixed it. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pwhittle said:

Our RF 197 has worked great for the four years we have owned it.

For the last few days the freezer has worked great at -2, but the fridge is set at 36, and the fridge is showing 53 degrees.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions

 

Paul

I had a similar problem with the same refrigerator, I found the refrigerator evaporator frozen up.  I checked with local Samsung repair facility and was told that most likely cause that refrigerator door were no being completely closed. I removes all  contents from refrigerator and freezer and unplugged power for several hours with doors open to allow refrigerator evaporator to defrost.

We had the problem when we had guest with us in the coach when we had this problem and don't believe they where not getting the doors fully closed.  We now make sure that both refrigerators are completely closed by firmly pressing the doors closed.

We have never had another problem since taking this little extra effort when closing the doors.  The Samsung repairman reported that it's not and uncommon problem on this model.

 

Jim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back to normal this morning. It likely power reset when we shut off the generator.

I’ll keep an eye on it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back to not right today.

Pulled the cover off the evaporator and it was all iced up and the drain hole had ice in it.

Used a hairdryer to clear the drain hole and melt the ice.

Power cycled it and waiting to see if it starts to cool.

Paul

 

 

B9DFE6E1-DC1B-4C8D-A5DB-25215368B1F3.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2021 at 7:31 AM, Jim Byrd said:

I had a similar problem with the same refrigerator, I found the refrigerator evaporator frozen up.  I checked with local Samsung repair facility and was told that most likely cause that refrigerator door were no being completely closed. I removes all  contents from refrigerator and freezer and unplugged power for several hours with doors open to allow refrigerator evaporator to defrost.

We had the problem when we had guest with us in the coach when we had this problem and don't believe they where not getting the doors fully closed.  We now make sure that both refrigerators are completely closed by firmly pressing the doors closed.

We have never had another problem since taking this little extra effort when closing the doors.  The Samsung repairman reported that it's not and uncommon problem on this model.

 

Jim

Your picture of the iced up evaporator looks just like mine did when I was having the same problem.  I even went to the trouble to remove the refrigerator to access the control board (accessible from top of refrigerator) to verify that defrost heater was was working. properly. .

Make sure you doors are sealing properly before you dig any further.

Jim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thx Jim,

There was a box in a top shelf on a door, and the flap was under the door seal. Removed that and will monitor some more.

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pwhittle said:

Thx Jim,

There was a box in a top shelf on a door, and the flap was under the door seal. Removed that and will monitor some more.

Paul

You should be good to go.

Jim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That video is for a completely different Samsung refrigerator model.

Within 6 months of owning owning our Samsung RF-197 we had water accumulating under the crisper bins. Installing a larger Defrost Clip solved the problem.

I have done a write up with photos on this subject which should be on this site somewhere.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had the same icing problem with an LG french door.  The doors did not always close tight because the adjusting screw changed over time with opening and closing.  Readjusted to solve problem.  To defrost, I put a blower fan directed at inlet at top of back wall.  that eventually defrosted in 4 to 5 hr without taking it all apart.  Freezer was working OK just refrig was at 47 to 50.  Lot of water collected in bottom of refrig section.     Yep, the doors must close tight and fit properly.  Happened more than once.

That LG is home unit.  No issue with my RF 197

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...