oil drain plug washer

I'm trying to change the oil on my coach, it's actually the first time I've attempted this cause everyone says its easy and you can save yourself a lot of money.  Only problem is, no one mentions that you may not be able to get your oil drain plug out.  I'm not sure if corrosion is the problem or if the retard who did my last oil change jerked that plug really tight. Whatever the case, I started soaking it with PB Blaster yesterday evening so I'm hoping that will do the trick.

I noticed there is a washer present for the drain plug and looking on the Cummins website under the parts list for my engine it shows a copper washer.  Not sure if that's what's on there right now but since that area is exposed to the elements while driving and corrosion can happen, is a copper/steel washer the best thing to be used for the is application or is there a washer made from another material which is better for this application?

Thanks

Mike B
01 Dynasty

Copper will compress and seal around the head of the nut.  You're supposed to install a new copper washer every time it's compressed.  I don't, but that's on a small motor . . . .

- bob

1 hour ago, bobdinsmore said:

Oil plug washers are copper. You might try to smack the wrench handle with a sharp hammer blow or an impact wrench to remove the plug, starting at low torques to prevent stripping or mechanical damage.

My ISX uses an "O" ring Cummins 4331267

Edited by Hypoxia

I was a little concerned about it needing to be a copper washer, I have been trying to find one with no luck.  I have some metal ones but I don't know if they will be okay to use.  Does anyone know if I could use the metal washer I have?

Thanks

15 hours ago, obb_taurus said:

I was a little concerned about it needing to be a copper washer, I have been trying to find one with no luck.  I have some metal ones but I don't know if they will be okay to use.  Does anyone know if I could use the metal washer I have?

Thanks

Heat the old one upon a gas job until it glows red then let it cool naturally, it is now annealed and reusable.

On 7/26/2021 at 4:03 PM, obb_taurus said:

Thanks

Take the washer and plug to any good auto parts store (I recommend NAPA) and they will give you a new copper washer of the appropriate size.