Solar Pre Wire on Roof

tmw188

When I sealed off my old refrigerator roof vent I notice what I assume is a terminal block for solar. I haven’t looked for it yet in my manual with all the wiring diagrams but was wondering what info some of you may have. I did check for voltage there and there wasn’t any. I haven’t looked any further into it, but  may be a empty dc fuse space dedicated to that terminal block in the bedroom. 

E9C85837-53C8-4061-962F-DD53963857D6.jpeg

4 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Maybe not “pre-wire” but I agree solar makes best sense.

The refer vent is a favorite spot for entry by many solar installers. 

Are you the original owner? 

Yes I’ve done solar on my last coach and use the old refrigerator vent as a chase. Asking about those wires though.

17 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Your terminal blocks look just like part of our original factory solar install. The cables went straight to a solar controller, no fuses. I still use that original setup but only for charging chassis. All new system for the house.

X2, but I use that block for my solar and it charges both sets of batteries (house & chassis) (700 watts) It does go to your solar controller. I replaced my stock controller with a Victron 100/50 controller.

Tim

Edited by Timaz996

I believe my solar controller (never actually touched it though) behind the Inverter panel.  On my coach there is another display directly above that shows the charging amps and also has a switch to check the house and chassis voltage.   

In my passenger side rear electrical compartment there is a wire attached to the house and chassis battery lugs coming into that compartment, each has a fuse holder, I believe a 5 amp for the chassis and 25 amp for the house. 

The wiring diagram does have these shown, along with the solar controller although it doesn't show location.  Check page 26 on the wiring diagrams PDF.  The problem is that Monaco used 8 awg wire with will not allow for a decent amount of solar charging.   I think if I were to upgrade mine I'd keep the existing panels for the chassis and more for the house. 

I am currently adding a second inverter back in the bedroom independent of the current system so I will have a back up for power and charging.  I could easily tap into this line (2 awg) to charge the house batteries . 

Yes, that’s the solar pre wiring and since you do not have a solar panel… only 2 wires in the block, you do not have a controller. The other ends of those cables will be hidden in the ceiling somewhere… try finding them below the refrigerator and mine were near the inverter.

6 hours ago, tmw188 said:

When I sealed off my old refrigerator roof vent I notice what I assume is a terminal block for solar. I haven’t looked for it yet in my manual with all the wiring diagrams but was wondering what info some of you may have. I did check for voltage there and there wasn’t any. I haven’t looked any further into it, but  may be a empty dc fuse space dedicated to that terminal block in the bedroom. 

E9C85837-53C8-4061-962F-DD53963857D6.jpeg

To clear up any confusion. When I mentioned I check for voltage at those two wires was just to see if it was possibly wired to the batteries, thought possibly it went thru the dc fuse block. 

2 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Sorry, I misunderstood your question focus. 

NP, there JD

My 2003 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40 PST shows this in the manual (page 283) about pre-wired solar on my coach.

The motorhome comes pre-wired to accept a solar battery charging system. A pair of wires is routed from the refrigerator compartment to the battery compartment. Location and Wire Type: • A pair of 12 gauge - red and white. • Wires terminate just below the refrigerator roof vent. Remove roof vent to access wires. • Wires terminated behind the battery compartment combined with a group of other wires. Use only the red and white 12 gauge wires. The wires are protected with convoluted tubing. NOTE: When installing a solar powered battery charging system, a fuse or circuit breaker of no more than a 20 Amps rating must be installed within two feet of the positive (+) battery connection.

6 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I believe my solar controller (never actually touched it though) behind the Inverter panel.  On my coach there is another display directly above that shows the charging amps and also has a switch to check the house and chassis voltage.   

In my passenger side rear electrical compartment there is a wire attached to the house and chassis battery lugs coming into that compartment, each has a fuse holder, I believe a 5 amp for the chassis and 25 amp for the house. 

The wiring diagram does have these shown, along with the solar controller although it doesn't show location.  Check page 26 on the wiring diagrams PDF.  The problem is that Monaco used 8 awg wire with will not allow for a decent amount of solar charging.   I think if I were to upgrade mine I'd keep the existing panels for the chassis and more for the house. 

I am currently adding a second inverter back in the bedroom independent of the current system so I will have a back up for power and charging.  I could easily tap into this line (2 awg) to charge the house batteries . 

Looking for that page 26 in back of the OM? I don’t see the page numbers? I don’t want to turn this thread into anything too long but do want to find the diagram. 

There are wiring diagrams for 2002 Windsor in the download section in electrical!  These are PDF, you can search for specific name >>> i.e. solar and it will take you through the pages that have it listed. 

The page I listed has a bunch on info and when you zoom in it will be blurry, hit CTRL5 and it will clear right up.  If I need to save a page view of a specific I print it to PDF.