Fan-Tastic fan replacement

drewat2

One of our fans has died. I've read that they are not up to old standards since Dometic bought them out. Is a Maxxair a suitable replacement or should I stick with Fan-Tastic

1 hour ago, drewat2 said:

One of our fans has died. I've read that they are not up to old standards since Dometic bought them out. Is a Maxxair a suitable replacement or should I stick with Fan-Tastic

Hahaha one of our fans has died. What was his name?

• Haha 2

We have a 1998 Beaver Patriot with the fan in the dining/galley area and one in the bathroom.  I'm thinking of replacing both with either MaxAir or Fantastic.  There is a nice wooden frame in the ceiling below the fans.  The question is if that woodwork all has to be removed or is this something installed from the roof side?  I should go out a take a photo, but hoping another Beaver owner knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Dennis

EDIT: The photo attached is the nice wooden frame that the fan is mounted in.  My question is if all the fan mechanism can be removed from the roof-side or does some of it require removal of this wood frame to lower some of the fan parts?

IMG_1021.JPG

Edited by Dennis-C

4 hours ago, drewat2 said:

If you stick with the fantastic fan, you can pull the motor/fan and replace it with the new one in ten minutes.  You can replace the vent cover pretty easily as well or wait til you need to.

22 hours ago, ko7pjim said:

If you stick with the fantastic fan, you can pull the motor/fan and replace it with the new one in ten minutes.  You can replace the vent cover pretty easily as well or wait til you need to.

Can the motor/blade be removed from inside or is it a rooftop job?

On 8/10/2021 at 4:42 PM, Grampy OG said:

Can the motor/blade be removed from inside or is it a rooftop job?

I swapped mine out from the inside.  You can buy the fan/motor if you are sure it is the motor.  I bought the whole thing because the control unit was bad.  Replaced from the inside.

Edited by ko7pjim

13 hours ago, ko7pjim said:

I swapped mine out from the inside.  You can buy the fan/motor if you are sure it is the motor.  I bought the whole thing because the control unit was bad.  With way from the inside.

Thanks for the quick reply. It's always something with the PM.

To change to MaxxAire requires removing the whole thing including the self leveling sealant on the roof.

I changed out both of mine because the fans did not have covers.  If you already have the hoods over the Fantastic fan, just fix them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 3:18 PM, 6Wheels said:

To change to MaxxAire requires removing the whole thing including the self leveling sealant on the roof.

I changed out both of mine because the fans did not have covers.  If you already have the hoods over the Fantastic fan, just fix them.

Are you liking the MaxxAire better than the Fantastic Fan?  I have one fan I may need to replace soon and am looking into those. 

Sorry, just saw this.  We have been shopping for another coach.

The MaxxAire fans are much quieter, but other than that there is no reason to spend $300+ until one fails.