We have a ghost in our Monaco

About 50-60% of the time when ever my DW or I go out the coach door and close it, the door automatically locks. Luckily the keypad still works so we can easily get back in. However, I sure would like to stop the unintended door locking.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this door locking?

Chet P

2004 SIG, CASTLE IV

First, always have an extra entry door key and ignition key hidden in the Fuel/LPG Tank Bay. I have had to access my hidden keys on two occasions in the last 17+ years.

Next, try putting a section of Gorilla Tape over the button contacts in the side of the door then close the door to see if that takes care of your "ghost". If so, then you know that somehow a signal is going through those contacts telling the door to lock.

Another possibility is that a false positive signal is coming from your Key Fob somehow.

• Like 2

Also maybe it’s possible that the mechanism actuates easily and by closing the door aggressively moves it and locks it. Try closing is softly a bunch of times and the aggressively a bunch and see if there’s a difference 

• Like 1

At first I didn’t think I would be able to contribute to this thread but that last post triggered a memory. 
I would be in the motorhome and my wife would approach the door, I would hear the keypad beeping, lock solenoid click and then she would come on in. 
After hearing this a bunch of times I asked her why she always used the keypad when the door was unlocked. She said ‘I don’t know, I try the door, and it’s always locked. I was going to ask you why you always lock the door.’

When we got the coach, the door latch developed an issue where if you pulled on the latch too soft or too hard, it would not open. But it would open consistently on the 2nd try.
The latch rods needed adjustment. I learned to flip the handle just right and it usually wasn’t a problem for me, but my wife never tried pulling it a 2nd time and always assumed it was locked. So she hit the keypad after her first attempt and then the door always opened after that. 

Any chance your door isn’t actually locking?

If you’re inside the door and close it, does the horizontal sliding loch go ‘thunk’ and move to the locked position?

Cheers

Walter

Edited by wamcneil

Bootlegger... sounds like you need to adjust your door. There is a good write up about it in the file section. I had to replace the bushing on both of my coaches (were completely gone) and adjust the rods on the current one. 

1 hour ago, daveyjo said:

I always need to pull twice on the door handle.  I like it because it acts as a second security device.  FYI.

Are you serious? I’m pretty sure having to pull it twice is not working as designed, and probably means that if your latch goes any farther out of adjustment you won’t be able to open the door 

1 hour ago, wamcneil said:

Are you serious? I’m pretty sure having to pull it twice is not working as designed, and probably means that if your latch goes any farther out of adjustment you won’t be able to open the door 

Been that way for at least a couple of years.  Now I can worry about the risk!😉

On 8/13/2021 at 8:04 AM, Dr4Film said:

First, always have an extra entry door key and ignition key hidden in the Fuel/LPG Tank Bay. I have had to access my hidden keys on two occasions in the last 17+ years.

Next, try putting a section of Gorilla Tape over the button contacts in the side of the door then close the door to see if that takes care of your "ghost". If so, then you know that somehow a signal is going through those contacts telling the door to lock.

Another possibility is that a false positive signal is coming from your Key Fob somehow.

Just now, PeterSchweizer said:

Thanks for letting the world know where you and others may stash spare keys 

7 hours ago, PeterSchweizer said:

Watch out Dr4Film. The whole world is going to be tracking you down to use that spare key to get into your coach when you least expect it 🙄

8 hours ago, PeterSchweizer said:

🤣 I defy you or anyone for that matter to find my "hidden" location unless you are a midget contortionists with extra special characteristics. ROTFLMFAO

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

🤣 I defy you or anyone for that matter to find my "hidden" location unless you are a midget contortionists with extra special characteristics. ROTFLMFAO

Now you've told the world you're a midget contortionist with special characteristics....ROTHFLMAO....Dennis

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

After re-reading through this thread, Chuck B's post got me thinking...  When we bought the coach the keypad was inoperative and I assumed it had been disconnected for "security" purposes.  Since all the remotes work fine, reconnecting/fixing the pad is at the  bottom of my long "to do" list.  But now I think there may have been another reason.

Suggestion to Chet P:  Try disconnecting the keypad and see if the "automatic" locking still happens.