ScanGaugeD vs Stock Temp Gauge

tmw188

So I installed my new SG recently and yesterday took the coach back to where I store it. Looking at the SG after a few miles it was reading in the 180’s water temp. I looked down at the analog gauge and it was showing it was up in the red zone. It has never been in that zone before, usually just under200 or slightly above. I trust the SG however not sure if anyone else has experienced anything similar. I’ll have to unplug the SG and take it for another drive and see if that changes the reading on the other gauge. It’ll probably call SG and see what they know too. Display on the upper right corner is the FWT(Fahrenheit water temp)

F816F69B-9986-4315-A11B-85BE2B096B22.jpeg

4E94CCC2-4E48-4216-A362-C1E7B3C921B8.jpeg

I never trusted most of the analog gauges after watching them on my very first long trip to Alaska in 2010 when I left California for good. The only two that really were any good were the Tachometer and Speedo.

While in Alaska I purchased the SilverLeaf VMSpc and installed it in the coach for my trip back to the lower 48.

Discovered that my engine Temp Gauge was reading at least 20 degrees higher than it really was. From that day on I never look at any of the analog gauges except for the two large ones, Tach and Speedo.

Yeah I know that’s why I bought the SG. The water temperature analog gauges are notorious for being off but this one has never been in the area it was until after I put the scan gauge in that’s what struck me as odd it has never read that high before. I didn’t know if the signal was getting messed up. 

I have know idea, but is it possible you have an air pocket in the cooling system from installing the scangauge sensor? By the way, I have a silver leaf and it does not coincide with my analog gauges. 

Edited by Walker

I believe there are two temperature sensors on some Cummin's engines.  One for the ECU & the other for the analog gauge.  If you do have two, they are likely located near each other. Exchange the wires on the sensors and see if the problem transfer.  That will tell if it is the analog gauge or the temp sensor. 

• 4 weeks later...

The only calibration I found on scangauge is the MPH if the ECM was programmed for different tire size. I doubt that anyone would change gear ratio so that is the only variable. Everything else is whatever the sensors read and ECM sends on the link to scangauge.

Edited by Ivan K