House batterys

RS lakeshore

I have 8 house batterys that are in separate trays and I need to remove them to refurbish the trays and reinstall.  We are living in the motorhome and need the 12volt available. Can 4 batterys be done at a time and still maintain the 12volts needed? We are connected to 50amp service where we are staying. Thanks

2 minutes ago, RS lakeshore said:

I have 8 house batterys that are in separate trays and I need to remove them to refurbish the trays and reinstall.  We are living in the motorhome and need the 12volt available. Can 4 batterys be done at a time and still maintain the 12volts needed? We are connected to 50amp service where we are staying. Thanks

You’ll need to take the 12 volt off line I would think. So no lights/furnace  until your project done. 

I would power down the rig, do your work, put it together, reconnect and power it on.

Doing otherwise isn't worth frying a lot of equipment.

I assume it's going to take less than a day to do the work.  Get your parts ahead of time.

If you are careful, I guess you can use 4 batteries outputting 12 volts to feed the system...but are these two sets of 4 batteries running in parallel?  Or are devices on one set of batteries, and the second set is used for other devices?  

I would just take it offline and work efficiently...

You can run on two 6 volt batteries hooked up in series to equal 12 volts. Being tied into shore power running through your charger/inverter will will maintain your batteries as long as you don't try to run the entire coach on them. If they are in two trays like mine I would do one tray at a time. There will possibly be a short period of time when there will be no 12 volt power as you disconnect the battery banks and get your cables squared away. I did mine this way when I replaced the 6 volt batteries and went with the big 12 volt AGM LifeLine batteries. I cut my connections in half, much cleaner install, no water/acid mess to deal with. We boondock camp 95% of the time and the batteries have performed outstanding.

I appreciate all your help and looking further in my wiring diagram book that 4 batterys can be removed at a time. I will disconnect the power to all batterys first then remove negative cable an tape the end and also the positive cable an turn the power back on. I hope my thinking is right as electric is my weakest skill. Thanks again

Richard you got this. I would recommend taking pictures of everything before you disconnect anything. Watch You Tube videos and see what other have done. It is not that complicated and you will have this done in no time. Post up a picture or two of your project.