09 Monaco Dynasty ISM 500 will not start

I have an 09 Monaco Dynasty ISM 500 and it will not start. Service provider has reached out to REV with no luck. We have been broke down since Friday and are looking for the following:

Location of the starter relay that feeds the starter relay

Next

Location of Allison VIM Mod.

Wiring diagram for the module with pin location for input power for the key starter

Thanks for any and all help

Fred Williamee

32 minutes ago, fwilliamee said:

I have an 09 Monaco Dynasty ISM 500 and it will not start. Service provider has reached out to REV with no luck. We have been broke down since Friday and are looking for the following:

Location of the starter relay that feeds the starter relay

Next

Location of Allison VIM Mod.

Wiring diagram for the module with pin location for input power for the key starter

Thanks for any and all help

Fred Williamee

Throwing out what I find. Hope it helps 

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/500-ism-wont-start-61735.html

I’ve been struggling with a similar issue the other day. My ‘09 dynasty completely quit. No instruments, no Medallion, and no response from the keyed ignition. While waiting for a tow truck, we decided to check the rear run box. Found a 15 amp fuse had blown. Replaced what I believe was the VEA6 or maybe VEA5 fuse. Renting an RV now to complete our planned trip, so I can’t check to be sure. Replacing the fuse allowed us to start it up again, but we decided to let the tow truck bring it back to Cummins for a deeper check. They also believe that the intermittent loss of of power maybe from an ignition solenoid or relay that has gone weak. 
There are some files that show the electrical schematics on this site, although it’s difficult to determine exactly where the components are physically situated. Wish you the best. Theo

Fred, we need more info to help?

Does it crank over and not run, or does it not even crank over?

When did it last run?

How much fuel?

What is the voltage checked at the chassis battery? How old are the chassis batteries?

Have you used the "Boost" switch? (This is the rocker switch on the drivers left console that connects the chassis/engine start battery and the house batteries). 

Have you double checked the rear start switch?  This is back next to the engine and must be placed in Front for the key switch to work.  You can experiment and place the key ON, then the rear run switch to rear and crank it from the rear.  

Rev group has almost disowned the legacy Monaco owners.  

Hope you get it!

Edited by vito.a

In the rear run box are the switches that let you start it from there. On that board are 2 fuses. One for the starter (if blown starter will not turn over) and the other for the fuel shut off ( if blown starter turns the engine over but will not start). I replaced both fuses with auto resetting ones. If the plug on that board is not firmly attached, you can have all of the above issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having a similar problem.  When cold I have no problems.  When hot after driving the starter will not engage and crank the engine.  Not always but most of the time.  It may take several attempts to get it to crank, once it does crank it starts without a problem.  I have decided after some research that it is one of the two starter solenoids.  I plan to replace both and maybe the starter motor as well.  Nothing worse than stopping for fuel, shutting off the engine and then waiting for the engine to start again.  Last time it took about 7 or 8 attempts to start.  When first thing in the morning, no problem ever, just after driving and shutting down.  Doesn't make much sense.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty, ISM500

23 minutes ago, woodylmiller said:

I am having a similar problem.  When cold I have no problems.  When hot after driving the starter will not engage and crank the engine.  Not always but most of the time.  It may take several attempts to get it to crank, once it does crank it starts without a problem.  I have decided after some research that it is one of the two starter solenoids.  I plan to replace both and maybe the starter motor as well.  Nothing worse than stopping for fuel, shutting off the engine and then waiting for the engine to start again.  Last time it took about 7 or 8 attempts to start.  When first thing in the morning, no problem ever, just after driving and shutting down.  Doesn't make much sense.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty, ISM500

There is such thing as starter heat soak. If you are positive that there is good power coming to the starter, I would get a new one, preferably a geared one. In my racing days we used heat shields and wraps to protect them from exhaust header heat for the same reason.

I have had two occurrences of no start condition on my 2009 Dynasty 500ISM engine.

1st occurrence was a blown fuse in the rrb. Replaced fuse with a slow blow fuse.

2nd occurrence, several years later, turned out to be the starter which Cummins diagnosed and replaced. The engine now starts the best it ever has.

Good luck,

Ray Murley

If you decide to replace the starter, do yourself a favor and replace with a Denso …here’s a good article on a ISM:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/new-denso-starter-cummins-ism-500-a-401394.html

I put off replacing as the Denso had fewer teeth than the geared Delco on my ISX. The fewer teeth are off center on the Denso so don’t worry about the fewer teeth. The Delco starter finally got so bad that 3 good starting batteries and the boost would barely start it. The Denso will start it using just ONE of the batteries… load tested each one separately and each started my ISL.