Inverted power for breathing machine

LarryB

40 minutes ago, FHWilliams57 said:

I would also check this post before plugging in cpap machine on inverter power.  

I have no experience on this and maybe someone else can conform?

Yes, electric blankets & Keurig coffee makers are very suspects to damage by MSW inverters.  I use CPAP also.  I have a 12-volt DC cable for I bought for mine.  I started using it before I had a coach wired with an inverter.  When I upgraded CPAP  machines, I made sure to get one that I could use with a 12-volt cable.  I currently have PSW and leave the inverter on all the time so I can use either method.  I keep the 12-volt cable handy for power outages at my sick-and-brick house.  I haven't tried using it on MSW, but if the CPAP is older analog type, it should work.  But if it's the newer digital type, it may not.  I recommend getting a 12-volt cord and then you know you are safe. 

• Like 1

WOW! I have used my ResMed 10 on the inverter outlet with no problem so far. If I need the CPAP on inverter power, I will relocate to the other end of the bed and turn off the humidifier and not use an extension cord. Will not do it again though. Thanks for the info. Second thought, does the CPAP transformer make a difference?

Gary 05 AMB DST

Edited by Gary 05 AMB DST
second thought

I have gone both ways in this situation.  Fifteen years ago the CPAP machine I had did not have 12 volt DC power supply capabilities and there was no 120 volt AC inverter power in my RV bedroom.  So I installed a power plug from the inverter into my bedroom.  I was surprised at how much power drain there was leaving the 3000 watt inverter on all night.  The CPAP uses very little power, but the inverter is a significant drain on the batteries just in idle mode.  I boondock for weeks at a time and this was not acceptable.  So, at the first opportunity, I purchased a CPAP machine that could be powered from a 12 volt power source.  I installed a 12 volt DC power port on the nightstand by my bed.  This works very well.  I do not use a humidifier while boondocking as I expect it would have a significant impact on power usage.  Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Richard    

I have my Resmed Airsense 10 plugged into a UPS at home, with a 50ah AGM battery wired in and the alarm beeper removed.
This keeps my CPAP running seamlessly through any power outages.

I'm sure the UPS is MSW, and I've been using it like this for several years.  It has run under UPS power for hours on several occasions, and I haven't noticed the power supply running hotter than normal, or any other issues.

Of course, this may differ from one machine to another.

I also have a Resmed Airsense Mini I use for travel, but haven't had an opportunity to try it on an inverter yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 10:15 AM, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

WOW! I have used my ResMed 10 on the inverter outlet with no problem so far. If I need the CPAP on inverter power, I will relocate to the other end of the bed and turn off the humidifier and not use an extension cord. Will not do it again though. Thanks for the info. Second thought, does the CPAP transformer make a difference?

Gary 05 AMB DST

I've run mine on MSW inverter a dozen or so nights as well. Doesn't seem to affect it.

• Like 1