interpreting ScanguageD fault codes

First, thank you for allowing me to join your group. We have been traveling in our 2005 S. CHEETAH 40DST, which we purchased in 2018. We were part time until I retired in July and are now on the last leg of our first 4 month trip. Sorry if this is tmi.

Yesterday, after a fillup I drove about 60 miles when the engine would start an intermittent slight hesitation and the CEL would blink. As I drove it became more frequent. The hesitation turned into intermittent bucking with longer periods of CEL.

I pulled into a rest area and checked my ScanGuageD. It showed 2 fault codes. But an extensive Google search turned up nothing and SG is closed for the weekend. The fault codes are:

ID.    FM.    CNT

151.  14.   78

102.   4.     0

At first I thought I and bad fuel so checked the primary FF but deisel looked clean and clear. I changed the 2nd filter but could not get the manual pump loose to prime it so took it off, filled with fresh d from a 2 gal fuel can I carry and reinstalled. I started the engine, drove out of the rest area and the engine quite. We've now been stranded on the side of the interstate for the last 24 while Coach-net has tried to find a tow. Seem thing always go sideways on the weekend or holidays.

Can anyone in the group interpret these codes?

Any suggestions concerning the problem or for fixing the manual prime?

It appears we are stuck here until tomorrow unless I can find a solution myself.

I am in a restaurant riding on a motorcycle trip. I can’t help with your fault codes but I can tell you to prime turn the key on, do not start it for 15 seconds turn it off turn it on for 15 seconds without starting turn off etc. The electric fuel pump runs for 15 seconds and then shuts off. I have a Cummins 8.9 L diesel pusher and this is how I primed mine when we run out of fuel

I can offer no help, except to wish you well.  I also did a search and there seemed to be suggestions that the fault codes are standard fault codes used, not specific to Scangauge and I found a few lists but none matched the numbers you list.  I'm sure someone else will come along shortly with some info.

He has a Cat engine… no lift pump and notorious for letting air into the fuel system when changing filters, even when pre filled with fuel letting the engine run for awhile and then shutting down.

The priming pump knob must be turned CCW to unlock but now you have air in the injector lines. I would loosen the 6 lines at the injectors and crank for 2 one minute times, letting the starter cool for 5 minutes between. Tighten the lines back up and she should start.

Catapillar fault code 151 has to do with engine coolant temperature high, possibly low coolant level OR a clogged DPF, depending on where your google search leads you.  Fault code 102 fmi 4 relates to the intake manifold pressure sensor. I lean towards a clogged Diesel Particulate Filter causing your problem. I don't know much about the Cats, but on my Cummins with a DPF problem, I can do a manual regeneration to (hopefully) clear the problem up. Good luck!

Thanks for all the quick responses. Below are a few replies:

1) I did try to call Scanguage yesterday and they are closed for the weekend. Just got a recording. I also Google for fault codes. They are supposedly international and not specific to SG. Unfortunately I could not find a list on line. Frankly, if they are "open source" it would be very helpful if the list was on the web for everyone's access.

2) I too now suspect that air is past the filters. Also, I found the Manual purge pump but can not get it to turn ccw. Since it appears to be yellow plastic and there is likely already air in the line down stream I am hesitant to take a pliers to this and possibly damage the system more. Since it appears Coach Net is confident they can get me flat towed to a CAT service center tomorrow, and Since I no longer have access to an rv site for tonight (all in area are full) I have decided to leave well enough alone, sit tight, and have this fixed tomorrow at a service center.

That said this has definitely been a learning experience. Aside from how best to change the fuel filters (thank you all) I've learned not to travel with a near empty water tank (being able to flush is important), and avoid trying to do service items when between stops. Also, if you have an issue and get to a stop or rest area, do not try to leave unless you are pretty certain the problem is fixed. Lastly, maybe avoid fuel from low volume deisel sellers like Circle K and perhaps change your filters more often than the owner's manual says.

Thanks all for the guidance.

Edited by 1nolaguy

I had same issue with SG codes, nothing on google so  I called them they were not able to tell me what they were. They told me to look on truckfaults.com which didn’t help either. Ultimately i changed the injection pump by process of elimination and they went away. I don’t use it for codes anymore  hope you have better luck 

All,

My research came up with…

CAT code 151 is for a loaded up DPF unit and needs a regen cycle.  Hopefully DPF isn’t so bad that it needs replaced.

code 102 aays low intake manifold pressure. 

Please inform us what they find as the issue.

All the best,

mhrookie

So I guess with the SG your always suppose to use bigdieselcodes.com? Seems odd that the OBD sends data to the SG and it has to be converted to their code system. Am I missing something? I have a SG-D myself. I have the manual for it in the MH so I’ll need to look at that.  

ScanGuage Customer Service confirmed IvyLog above on Monday. They are closed on the weekend. I am going to print out the code info at bigdeiselcode.com so I will have it with me in the RV. it is quite lengthy (I think 34 pages). I have subsequently been towed to a Ring Power in Lake City, FL for repairs. While in for "low intake air pressure" (likely caused when I removed the fuel filter and then tried to run the engine with out priming the filter first). While in I will have them check out the motor since It has not been checked except by me since we bought it in 2018. Service is up to day but air filter, belts, oil pressure, engine brake, etc. to make sure all is in tip top shape.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!